Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly isolating a slight issue I have. When going very slow and in 2nd gear if i give it some gas and the car downshifts to 1st sometimes I can feel a slight clunk/bang/rough shift. I have changed the filter and all tranny fluid and it runs much better but still a slight clunk............any chance this is one of the solenoids?..........I ordered a new pcv hose, the one i have is soft and collapsing a little. I don't think it affecting the way the engine runs very much, however I was wondering if there is any chance an engine issue is causing the shifting issue....TIA

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Usually Woody, when you get that kind of a clunk. It is the lower engine mount. Or dog bone. It has fooled a few people and turned out to be the passenger side mount also. The passenger is a fluid filled mount. If the fluid escapes , you get a metal to metal sound. You pretty much have to remove that mount to inspect it. Mine actually fell apart when I took it out.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Yeah, the stock dogbone can make it feel like your engine is about to fall out between 1rst and 2nd.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually Woody, when you get that kind of a clunk. It is the lower engine mount. Or dog bone. It has fooled a few people and turned out to be the passenger side mount also. The passenger is a fluid filled mount. If the fluid escapes , you get a metal to metal sound. You pretty much have to remove that mount to inspect it. Mine actually fell apart when I took it out.
Yeah, the stock dogbone can make it feel like your engine is about to fall out between 1rst and 2nd.
thanks for the info........I looked on rockauto and all I could find where 2 mounts. the passenger side motor mount and one transmsion mount but I dont think it the dogbone..........there was a "torque strut mount" listed in the suspension............how many Motor mounts/tranny mounts in total would I have?.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are 3. And it can be called a torque mount. That's what it does. Control torque.
I looked on the autozone website and they call it the "torque strut mount" also....I will take a close look at them on the car and see if I can see any damage...........I can get the dogbone delivered for $18 or all 3 delivered for $56......and the dogbone looks like a real easy fix........ tanks again!!!!!!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Someone has the CFM dogbone on sale on the forum for CHEAP. Check that out first.

You'll keep having that crap shift if you replace it with an OEM mount. As long as you are under the car getting dirty you may as well put in something nice.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone has the CFM dogbone on sale on the forum for CHEAP. Check that out first.

You'll keep having that crap shift if you replace it with an OEM mount. As long as you are under the car getting dirty you may as well put in something nice.
thanks for the info...I looked in the classified and some guy has the lower mount for $100 but CFM will sell you a new one (it looks like a little different design) for $109.....if you see the "cheap" one for sale please let me know.....I think I might try the $15 from rockauto.....I don't drive fast at all. this car is just for my daughter to drive around town....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am slowly isolating a slight issue I have. When going very slow and in 2nd gear if i give it some gas and the car downshifts to 1st sometimes I can feel a slight clunk/bang/rough shift.
My 2010 does it all the time, only done about 4000miles. I even had the gearbox completely rebuild under warranty and it still does it. I just ignore it now

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My 2010 does it all the time, only done about 4000miles. I even had the gearbox completely rebuild under warranty and it still does it. I just ignore it now
nosurrenda,

I am sure the noise must be aggravating! Have you mentioned it to your dealer recently? I know you are ignoring it, but if it becomes more concerning, I suggest visiting your dealer to have it diagnosed. If you would like my assistance, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will be happy to help resolve your issue.

~Natasha

·
Registered
17 Posts
nosurrenda,

I am sure the noise must be aggravating! Have you mentioned it to your dealer recently? I know you are ignoring it, but if it becomes more concerning, I suggest visiting your dealer to have it diagnosed. If you would like my assistance, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will be happy to help resolve your issue.

~Natasha
Yes the dealer knows all about it. I even test drove the customer service manager's car - same as mine - and it does it as well. It's seems like a common issue with the entire batch. Numerous customers have complained. Apparently Ford are aware of it...? Anyway, it's best that all Focus owners continually hound Ford with the issue, maybe then Ford will do something about it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Yes the dealer knows all about it. I even test drove the customer service manager's car - same as mine - and it does it as well. It's seems like a common issue with the entire batch. Numerous customers have complained. Apparently Ford are aware of it...? Anyway, it's best that all Focus owners continually hound Ford with the issue, maybe then Ford will do something about it.
nosurrenda,

It is good the dealer is aware of your noise. Please send me a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer. I can ensure your situation is appropriately documented. I can also arrange for you to be contacted to discuss your concerns. I will keep a look out for your response.

~Natasha

·
Registered
17 Posts
nosurrenda,

It is good the dealer is aware of your noise. Please send me a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer. I can ensure your situation is appropriately documented. I can also arrange for you to be contacted to discuss your concerns. I will keep a look out for your response.

~Natasha
Thanks for your reply

Everything is already documented. I was assigned a customer service rep who liaised with the dealer. A Ford Engineer was also assigned to trouble shoot the issue. Since then the dealer is monitoring the issue, but Ford are yet to come up with a permanent fix. Software upgrades have also been applied.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
426 Posts
if it turns out the prob is in the trans, there is an additive that actually works, its called Lucas Trans Fix, about 10bucks at any store, it will loosen up any sticking valves in the trans, i had a Saturn that would not shift to 3rd gear, put in 1 bottle, problem solved,within i block of driving.also about anything made by Lucas is good;;;;;;;; good luck'

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if it turns out the prob is in the trans, there is an additive that actually works, its called Lucas Trans Fix, about 10bucks at any store, it will loosen up any sticking valves in the trans, i had a Saturn that would not shift to 3rd gear, put in 1 bottle, problem solved,within i block of driving.also about anything made by Lucas is good;;;;;;;; good luck'
* and I have new mercon 5, a new filter and 7 ounces of lubegard red...I am not sure if Lucas is going ot help...
Ok so I know you told me to get the good cfm mount but I am to heap. I bought the regular "anchor brand" mount. The old one I took out did not look bad at all but since I had the new one I put it in.and guess what......I STILL HAVE THE CLUNK... is it really possible that the custom mount eliminates this......could Ford really have not had a recall and put in a new mount.....I looked at my other mounts and they seem OK.the passenger side is filled with the fluid,it is soft.........I keep thinking it is something on the tranny when the car downshifts......frustrating!!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here is a picture of my passenger side mount. I can easily push my finger into the very soft fluid and feel something hard about an inch down......is that normal?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks for your reply

Everything is already documented. I was assigned a customer service rep who liaised with the dealer. A Ford Engineer was also assigned to trouble shoot the issue. Since then the dealer is monitoring the issue, but Ford are yet to come up with a permanent fix. Software upgrades have also been applied.

Thanks again,
nosurrenda,

I am glad your concerns have been documented, and the engineer is actively working to resolve them. Have a great day!

~Natasha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts