Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's pretty cool. I'm interested. Anything to help reduce engine bay temps (short of cutting the hood) is a plus in my book.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think hood spacers actually lower engine bay temps. From my understanding, it tries to pull air in from the windshield and creates somewhat neutral air pressure in your bay and is bad for air circulation.

However, I think it looks sick and have a set for my car already

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI FFV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I have this set up to fit the turbo that is going to be installed, between this and relocating the battery to the rear of the car, just making more room.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Personally I have this set up to fit the turbo that is going to be installed, between this and relocating the battery to the rear of the car, just making more room.
That makes a whole lot more sense and looks better than cutting in to the hood. I was more adding that little bit for the guy who wanted lower bay temps lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think hood spacers actually lower engine bay temps. From my understanding, it tries to pull air in from the windshield and creates somewhat neutral air pressure in your bay and is bad for air circulation.
Ya "the guy" hears ya. I understand the principle behind cowl induction; and this is much the same so I'm sure at or above a certain speed, a hood riser loses its cooling benefit. I have no doubt though that for in-town stop and go traffic it would help engine bay temps. That's really when temps are at their worst anyway. So it could still be a net win.
I'm still on the fence about it but I don't mind the look. Ideally it would be badass if someone could invent like an electronic riser; sort of like spoilers on some cars. Press a button and raise or lower the hood at will, or at a predetermined speed. I'd be all over that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good idea when in traffic, bad when at or past highway speeds. Hopefully your hood doesn't lift and break off the mounts or turn into a flying blade during a front end crash.

Isn't our cabin air intake right at the windshield cowl too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ya "the guy" hears ya. I understand the principle behind cowl induction; and this is much the same so I'm sure at or above a certain speed, a hood riser loses its cooling benefit. I have no doubt though that for in-town stop and go traffic it would help engine bay temps. That's really when temps are at their worst anyway. So it could still be a net win.
I'm still on the fence about it but I don't mind the look. Ideally it would be badass if someone could invent like an electronic riser; sort of like spoilers on some cars. Press a button and raise or lower the hood at will, or at a predetermined speed. I'd be all over that.
Thats a good point to make and I definitely could see the benefits. My daily drive is 25 miles one way highway speeds so my research is skewed. I actually just enjoy the looks and making room for parts is definitely a plus! I would definitely buy an electronic hood spacer though

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI FFV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea when in traffic, bad when at or past highway speeds. Hopefully your hood doesn't lift and break off the mounts or turn into a flying blade during a front end crash.

Isn't our cabin air intake right at the windshield cowl too?
Yeah it is. I know what you're saying, the good thing is the next thing I'm getting is the hydrualic hood struts in which will ask like strengthening braces when the hood is down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts