Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Focus has been parked for 2 years because we can't figure out what is wrong with it. If you can get it to crank, it skips, sputters and going down the road it will stuttering and stall. Fuel pump and filter have replaced, fuel injectors rebuilt, a number of sensors have been replaced, fuel tank and lines have been flushed. When it's being cranked or idling you can smell fuel in the exhaust fumes. We recently put it in the shop, paying $1100 in labor and parts, they say it runs fine for them but we can't even get home with it before it stalls out! Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated! http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile_bigcry.gif

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
How is the timing, spark plugs, wires, coil, and catalytic converter? No check engine light?

Matt

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Engine?

There are a few things that will allow a perfectly good engine to idle well, but not drive well. It's very likely that your problem is something simple yet elusive.

It is good if we know which engine you have because typical problems will help. Here's a few you can check without much trouble.

1) Cracks in the coil. Remove the coil and inspect it thoroughly under a strong light. If you ever bought lifetime plug wires for it- then go get a new set for kicks.

2) Damage to the coil plug-in connector. Pull on the individual wires to see if any are loose. If you find damage, a pig-tail connector is available from Ford.

3) Air intake leaks. Make sure that your air intake is properly installed, the couplings are tight, and the rubber parts are not cracked or damaged allowing air in. Remove the MAF and inspect the seal around the MAF. Clean the MAF with spray MAF cleaner, and re-install. Allow sufficient time for it to dry before starting.

4) EGR a stuck open EGR can cause problems after the engine warms up. I've never heard of it stalling out a vehicle like yours is doing, but it might be part of the problem if your problem is multiple problems. Remove the EGR, use a vacuum line to lightly suck on the EGR and make sure it opens and closes. It takes as much breath as it takes to fill one cheek as it does to actuate the EGR. Clean as much as you can. Make sure it's still working, and then re-install. There should be gaskets available for about $2, but I don't think Ford uses a gasket from the factory.

When the car is idling, do you get a check engine light (CEL)? If so, do you have a code scanner so you can tell us what code it is?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay found another post about a vacuum hose, intake breather hose I think, well mine was collapsed also. Replaced it, ran good/okay at first and now there is a very loud sucking/whistling noise when it reaches about 3000 RPMs and the car tries to bog/stall. Once I've shifted up and the motor isn't working so hard, it quietens down some. We thought since the replacement hose didn't fit as tight(on the side behind the water pump) as the original that was the problem, clamped it, too. Helped for about 20 minutes and then the sucking/whistling started again. I don't know where to look now... There are no CELs. It is a duel over head cam, 4 cyln, vetech.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried checking for another vacuum leak tonight, no luck. So I tried driving it, no luck! Idle is fine, reverse is fine, just trying to drive it forward, no luck! Almost as soon as I touch the gas now I get a loud hiss and a very loud, high pitched "pew" sound. Not sure how else to describe the noise. Not even sure if it's a leak or sucking sound, it's almost like it's blowing air out...

·
Registered
44 Posts
The more you describe this it sounds like the timing is off to me but its hard to diagnose the description of a sound over the internet.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
With all the wasted money you spent did you get or do you have a SCT XCAL where you can do some datalogging and see where the problem is

It always amazes me how much money is wasted on guessing what part is bad but they never want to buy a part that can help them find the problem

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that was kind of rude, assuming we haven't tested it!!! If you had read everything completely, you would have seen that: No check engine light, No codes are found, and the car has been to 3 different shops!!! Why even post on here if you're going to be like that!

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
because he is one of the biggest sponsors on this forum and helps tons of people. he is right though. if you get a xcal 3 then you can datalog and find out what your problem is. the xcal might pick a code up that a normal scanner doesnt also.

also these cars dont have vetech... its a zetec motor.

also the way your explaining it it sounds like you have a turbo'd car that isnt tuned hahahaha!

loud hissing on the gas and then "pew" when you let off... sounds like a turbo. check in the front of your motor is there a big round thing by the radiator?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I thought this website was for helping people, not criticizing them for not doing it their way. We took our car to 3 different shops and got the same answer, they tested and retested with out results. I can't guarantee that I'm getting the truth from 2 of them. The "v"etech was a typo I didn't realized I did until you pointed it out, sorry! This car does not have a turbo and there is no "big round thing" by the radiator. She's just a plain Jane, 4 cylinder. Most of the money we have put in this car has not been wasted. The fuel pump had to be replaced, it was over $500 alone.

We replaced the MAF today, which was bad, but the car is still running bad. Got someone that's checking the timing tomorrow.

By the way, this website has been a help to us!

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
no one was criticizing you. im sorry you think that.

people are trying to help you...

did you check the pigtail on the alternator and by the coil pack? that is a common problem.

i know this is kind of obvious but are your battery terminals clean and the wires look ok?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have not checked the pigtail but will check, will those make the noise... The coil pack is okay. Battery terminals are clean and wires are okay.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
im not sure what the noise is coming from. check all around the intake see if anything has holes,cracked,open...

i just dont know man. timing might be it though..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was a collapsed hose, breather intake hose, replaced it. Have tried finding another leak by spraying the carb cleaner, no idle up anywhere. Someone told me today that if the timing was off, that the car wouldn't run at all...
I can go in reverse(backed it up the driveway at least a 1/4 of a mile) with NO problems at all!!! And it idles fine! As soon as it is 1st or 2nd or any gear and as soon as you give it gas it makes the hissing and "pew" noise and tries to bog down or stall. None of it makes sense!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Timing is good, EGR was bad and replaced, wiring has be checked and traced back to the steering column. Noise is gone but still have some stuttering and bogging down. Each thing has helped some but nothing significant...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had fuel pump replaced, seemed to fix the problem... Fuel pump went out, again! Was replaced again, run great! Fuel pump went out again!!!!!! What is causing the fuel pump to go out!!!!
We are planning to replace the coil pack because of a slight skip but the pumps starts whining and then just go out!!!! FRUSTRATED!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where did you buy the fuel pumps? Most, if not all, aftermarket pumps are sourced from China and they are junk. You might try an OEM part or at least a different manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts