Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into getting into rallycross and would like to know if anyone know where to pick up some under armor or is it one of those things take measurements have the metal cut etc kinda things.

via search i found people asking same question/no real answers.

Also for those that are doing rallycross, what all have u done mod wise for preventative.

I saw those new solid engine mounts tom posted will probably invest in those.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
i think focussport and CFM both make a brace that connects to the front lower subframe...i guess that would qualify as a skid plate/armor

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I don't ralley but I made a plate to replace the plastic splash shield:

I picked up a sheet (4'x8') of 14ga. steel and cut it to fit.
You can see where it's screwed into the bumper, just a self tapping screw with a washer so it doesn't cut through the plastic.
I made a new radiator support out of tube steel and that is where the back is screwed into.
It's holding up great. Better than I thought it would.

Wouldn't be that tough for me to extend it back to the crossmember and attach it there too, full belly pan. Might take a spacer here and there but no big deal.

IMO, the stock lower radiator support is the biggest downfall of the car. Push on the rad. hard enough and it pops out. I welded some exhaust tube on the bottom and slid the stock rubber mounts in place. It's not moving anywhere now and makes a great mount point.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
there aren't any aftermarket other than rally innovations. and they don't cover much. if you want one, you have to make it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't ralley but I made a plate to replace the plastic splash shield:

I picked up a sheet (4'x8') of 14ga. steel and cut it to fit.
You can see where it's screwed into the bumper, just a self tapping screw with a washer so it doesn't cut through the plastic.
I made a new radiator support out of tube steel and that is where the back is screwed into.
It's holding up great. Better than I thought it would.

Wouldn't be that tough for me to extend it back to the crossmember and attach it there too, full belly pan. Might take a spacer here and there but no big deal.

IMO, the stock lower radiator support is the biggest downfall of the car. Push on the rad. hard enough and it pops out. I welded some exhaust tube on the bottom and slid the stock rubber mounts in place. It's not moving anywhere now and makes a great mount point.
Wow and I just spent a lot of time bending 1/8" aluminium sheet to match the factory plastic skid fml.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
LOL
Ya, but I'm sure yours is lighter. What you see there weights about 12# and the lower radiator support weights about 6#. So I added about 15# to the front of the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Coilovers are really hard to dial in, you'll definately need a cornerbalance alignment, and you'll mess up the alignment real quick driving hard on a rally circuit.

I forgot who makes those really awesome performance struts for the ZX3/SVT but I'm sure someone out there will post them, it's not a common brand and I think they're yellow or pink.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts