Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a notification that my SiriusXM trial expires in November.

Are you renewing?

Also noticed that it says "Prices shown are for the Sirius Select Package of audio channels and do not include the additional premium channels in the Sirius Premier package, SiriusXM Traffic or SiriusXM Travel Link."

Do these expire at the same time? Is there a way to tell when they expire?

I think I only want the traffic and travel link and not the audio (my iPod has all I need).

·
Registered
781 Posts
wait after your account expires. siriusxm will hound you with discounted offers to re-subscribe, you can usually get a full year at 50% off their regular rates, if not more. wait until you get some offers in the mail. call, act indecisive, and they will often throw in more freebies or discount it further when you "change your mind" and decide not to renew.

·
Registered
141 Posts
wait after your account expires. siriusxm will hound you with discounted offers to re-subscribe, you can usually get a full year at 50% off their regular rates, if not more. wait until you get some offers in the mail. call, act indecisive, and they will often throw in more freebies or discount it further when you "change your mind" and decide not to renew.
yup +1 [thumb]

·
Registered
321 Posts
Glad to know! Mines up in NOV. too & plan on renewing but will be happy to haggle with them over $

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yeah, I've been wrestling with this for a while (I've got until Feb to decide). I only want travel link and traffic as well as they seem to be quite accurate but there is only one station I can stand to listen to so it seems like an awful lot for that. I guess if I can get them to discount significantly and throw those two features in as well, I might.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just got a notification that my SiriusXM trial expires in November.

Are you renewing?

Also noticed that it says "Prices shown are for the Sirius Select Package of audio channels and do not include the additional premium channels in the Sirius Premier package, SiriusXM Traffic or SiriusXM Travel Link."

Do these expire at the same time? Is there a way to tell when they expire?

I think I only want the traffic and travel link and not the audio (my iPod has all I need).
Let it expire. If you miss it, it's my understanding that you'll start getting offers for huge discounts in the mail a month or two after if you miss it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeah, I've been wrestling with this for a while (I've got until Feb to decide). I only want travel link and traffic as well as they seem to be quite accurate but there is only one station I can stand to listen to so it seems like an awful lot for that. I guess if I can get them to discount significantly and throw those two features in as well, I might.
What's the magical one station you like?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
What's the magical one station you like?
First wave, and even that is iffy. Everything on there I like I already have between my iPod and phone (plus the various streaming apps so it seems hard to justify paying for music).

What I'm really curious to know is if anyone has compared Siruis' traffic/information services to Sync's traffic/information services. We all get three years of Sync services for free so if they are comparable, it would be really hard to justify Sirius. Anyone using Sync's info care to chime in?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Persnally I've ditched all my services for Spotify. $10/mo for the largest library I've found online. Streams great from my iphone to MFT via Bluetooth, just get in the car and go.

If you're thinking of trying it, desktop access is free right now, $10/mo includes the mobile access. They also don't have any commitment plans. Blow $10 this month, find it doesn't work for you. Quit next month with no hassles.

I find Sirius's DJ's annoy me as much as the commerical stations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll be canceling. Sirius should be great for a niche like classical music, but unfortunately the stations they have are so compressed that the distortion makes them significantly worse than the one fuzzy FM classical station that comes in.

·
Registered
495 Posts
wait after your account expires. siriusxm will hound you with discounted offers to re-subscribe, you can usually get a full year at 50% off their regular rates, if not more. Wait until you get some offers in the mail. Call, act indecisive, and they will often throw in more freebies or discount it further when you "change your mind" and decide not to renew.
this...haha

·
Registered
772 Posts
I just got my notice last night in the mail. The renewal price is a joke, they are hoping you pay without calling them.

You can get a year for $77 for the basic music package. Don't give them your credit card or they will renew next year for the full rate without your consent. Have them send you an invoice.

Their business practices are suspect, but I am in my car so much that it's worth the $77 since it's integrated into the car. That's the most I will pay for the low bitrate quality music they are sending out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I love my satellite radio and don't trust my crummy Samsung to provide the 3G streaming I'd need to play Pandora - plus paying the extra $10 a month for the 2GB plan instead of 200MB which I have now.

I've gotten some pretty killer deals from them in the past. As mentioned in this thread, act indecisive and ready to quit. They'll offer you some amazing subscription prices.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah, i have all my music on amazon cloud ($20 a year for unlimited music storage) and use my android phone (verizon unlimited data grandfathered in) for my music, or if I want to listen to new music, use Slacker Radio via my phone as well, so I don't need sirius... will consider the traffic link though, looking at the sirius website i think its like $2 a month. While I haven't used the mysync traffic, the sirius traffic is essentially instantly there while there mysync has to be called in and i think it fairly slow loading...

I haven't actually registered my Sirius though, it was already set up in the car at the dealer, so i just got in and went... i wonder if i will be cheated out of some time with it (if the 6 months start when they activated it) or if I get to cheat them out of some time (if I'm still using the dealer activation and haven't started "my" free 6 month trial?) I plan on using it until it stops and then calling up. I don't like the sirius interface in the MFT, my family members have stand alone sirius radios and they are much easier to navigate and use than the MFT one, which is slow to respond and not intuitive.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Don't give them your credit card or they will renew next year for the full rate without your consent. Have them send you an invoice.
Thanks for the tip. I hate companies that put auto-renew in the fine print.

While I haven't used the mysync traffic, the sirius traffic is essentially instantly there while there mysync has to be called in and i think it fairly slow loading...
That is what I was afraid of with Sync sevices. Got to admit, Sirius has been spot on for this (at least for me) and has saved me time on my drive home from work on more than one occassion. Oh well, guess I'll try and see what kind of deal I can wrangle out of them when the times comes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll be canceling. Sirius should be great for a niche like classical music, but unfortunately the stations they have are so compressed that the distortion makes them significantly worse than the one fuzzy FM classical station that comes in.
Agreed. Only on the light easy listening is the very poor quality tolerable.
For free it is ok. I would not pay any amount for it unless they deliver proper quality.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sirius tried to pull one on me a few days ago. Ive been a life member since 04'. Ive transfered my account twice since then. When i got my focus, the sirius rep who barely spoke english told me to use up the trial period, then transfer my account to the car.

So i called, and some woman told me that they changed their aggreement last year, to where you cant transfer life accounts to another car... I was like WTF!! I asked her, "who keeps a car for life? Your life time contract is very misleading!" All she could say was im sorry, and i understand.

So she transfered me to the cancellation department, and explained to the guy my situation. He put me on hold for a few minutes. He came back and told me his supervisor allowed the transfer, and that was that...

I love sirius, but their customer service and now misleading contracts are turning me off from the company.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sirius tried to pull one on me a few days ago. Ive been a life member since 04'. Ive transfered my account twice since then. When i got my focus, the sirius rep who barely spoke english told me to use up the trial period, then transfer my account to the car.

So i called, and some woman told me that they changed their aggreement last year, to where you cant transfer life accounts to another car... I was like WTF!! I asked her, "who keeps a car for life? Your life time contract is very misleading!" All she could say was im sorry, and i understand.

So she transfered me to the cancellation department, and explained to the guy my situation. He put me on hold for a few minutes. He came back and told me his supervisor allowed the transfer, and that was that...

I love sirius, but their customer service and now misleading contracts are turning me off from the company.
Customer services is terrible! I called to get the free upgrade to the Sirius Premier so I could listen to NHL Home Ice. The woman did not know about the free offer and insisted it didn't exist. I told her I was holding a car that said "Call now to upgrade to Sirius Premier!" It took 40 minutes on the phone with people who speak terrible English to get it set up.

Here is the kicker though... 2 weeks later I got a bill for $140!!! WTF!!! I called back PISSED and they fixed my account. That shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I find Sirius's DJ's annoy me as much as the commerical stations.
Serious satellite IS a commercial station!
I will NOT pay for commercials!
What would I be gaining by paying for commercials on satellite?
If my ipod screws up, I might listen to some satellite, but that has not happened so I am fine!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts