Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hatch back se focus 2014 just bought it regretting that i didnt get a ST but what are some simple mods to get more horse power with out blowing alot of money?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Duratec TiVCT performance, you'll find more info. here than in the forced Induction section.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have the same thing and here is my order of modifications.

1. CAI/Drop in Filter. Im currently running a Airaid CAI with a Outerwears prefilter.

2. Snorkel delete. Did this same time as the CAI install

3. TUNE. I went with Tom's tune on here. look for the SCT custom tuning thread for more info.

4. Rear Motor Mount. I went with a Steeda RMM. Helps put more power down to the wheels. This new mount is more stiff than the stock RMM. The Steeda one also comes with 2 different durometer bushings, one for street and one for race. STEEDA SITE

5. After winter is over im going to be looking into exhausts.

and thats pretty much all i know that will get you the most power out of your focus without doing a full ST swap in.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Cheapest and best bang for the buck is snorkel delete with AEM Dry Flow drop in... Will cost you $39 w/free shipping on eBay/Amazon for the filter and about 20 minutes to both remove the snorkel and replace air filter... Considering these filters are only twice a much as a disposable paper filter and will last 2-3 times as long before it even needs to be cleaned and re-used it is an absolute no-brainer for a cheap mod... I did just snorkel first, not much improvement, then dropped in AEM, definite noticeable gain... about 8-10 HP for $39. Part number is AE-20993. K&N owns them, so kind of think of it as an oil-less K&N.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same thing and here is my order of modifications.

1. CAI/Drop in Filter. Im currently running a Airaid CAI with a Outerwears prefilter.

2. Snorkel delete. Did this same time as the CAI install

3. TUNE. I went with Tom's tune on here. look for the SCT custom tuning thread for more info.

4. Rear Motor Mount. I went with a Steeda RMM. Helps put more power down to the wheels. This new mount is more stiff than the stock RMM. The Steeda one also comes with 2 different durometer bushings, one for street and one for race. STEEDA SITE

5. After winter is over im going to be looking into exhausts.

and thats pretty much all i know that will get you the most power out of your focus without doing a full ST swap in.
But with all of that how much more power did you make?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Idk havnt been on dyno. But it is enough that it is very noticable in just daily driving. Have to really feather the gas so I don't squeel wheels.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
tune is best bang for buck so to speak. For cheaper, smaller gains drop in filter with snorkel delete and E-focus RMM are best bet. For non-horsepower mods I'd look into a rear swaybar upgrade. Right now I have Cold air intake with snorkel delete, catback exhuast and the E-focus RMM and I'm very happy with the performance gains. tune is next on my list and should make the car a different animal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cheapest and best bang for the buck is snorkel delete with AEM Dry Flow drop in... Will cost you $39 w/free shipping on eBay/Amazon for the filter and about 20 minutes to both remove the snorkel and replace air filter... Considering these filters are only twice a much as a disposable paper filter and will last 2-3 times as long before it even needs to be cleaned and re-used it is an absolute no-brainer for a cheap mod... I did just snorkel first, not much improvement, then dropped in AEM, definite noticeable gain... about 8-10 HP for $39. Part number is AE-20993. K&N owns them, so kind of think of it as an oil-less K&N.
Do you leave the cover on the airbox off or keep it on?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Do you leave the cover on the airbox off or keep it on?
Definitely leave it on... defeats the purpose of the factory CAI. If you want an open air box setup get one of the many intake systems out there that at least blocks off warm engine air by having hood sealing gasket around the new airbox. Also search the threads for the "newmission mod" to create even more cold air while keeping the stock box.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Also, if you don't want to pay $55-60 for an electric Focus Rear Motor Mount (RMM)or double that or more for an aftermarket one, you can get this insert for $9+ shipping: http://www.fswerks.com/collections/engine/products/polyurethane-oe-mount-insert-ford-focus-2012-2014.

That won't be as stiff as a full aftermarket motor mount but from what I've read will still help tremendously in putting down the power... I know with just my basic intake mod and my DCT I can kick in traction control rather easily on dry pavement if I take off quickly. I need to at least do this cheap mod for sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also, if you don't want to pay $55-60 for an electric Focus Rear Motor Mount (RMM)or double that or more for an aftermarket one, you can get this insert for $9+ shipping: http://www.fswerks.com/collections/engine/products/polyurethane-oe-mount-insert-ford-focus-2012-2014.

That won't be as stiff as a full aftermarket motor mount but from what I've read will still help tremendously in putting down the power... I know with just my basic intake mod and my DCT I can kick in traction control rather easily on dry pavement if I take off quickly. I need to at least do this cheap mod for sure.
Anybody else out there used this?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I'm ordering one today... to me this seems like an absolute no-brainer for the price... I'll come back and post after it's installed, I have a cheap, cool and reliable private mechanic that can install it for me.
Extremely easy to install I'd save the momey and just out it on yourself unless the mechanic is only going to charge you $10 or so

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
He is a regular guy who has a nice big garage at home with a lift... He will only charge me ten or twenty bucks so it's worth it alone to use the lift and have it done fast and right, but thanks for letting me know it's that easy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts