Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
A/M radio is horrible! Tried it for first time today and almost no local stations came in. Is my radio faulty or is this normal? My prior car's $150 JVC radio was much better (and had HD radio, which is cool).

Did you guys take apart (destroy?) the OEM speakers to reuse the speaker's mount with the new speakers?

Looks like Crutchfield sells adaptors/mounts, but many reviewers for various cars had to modify them. Anyone use them for the Focus?

·
Registered
8 Posts
A/M radio is horrible! Tried it for first time today and almost no local stations came in. Is my radio faulty or is this normal? My prior car's $150 JVC radio was much better (and had HD radio, which is cool).

Did you guys take apart (destroy?) the OEM speakers to reuse the speaker's mount with the new speakers?

Looks like Crutchfield sells adaptors/mounts, but many reviewers for various cars had to modify them. Anyone use them for the Focus?
Yes. I used the same mounts that came in the car and I had to destroy the stock speakers to use the mounts.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Yes perfect fit after :)

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Yes perfect fit after :)

You can see i've drilled them to pass the wires, this allow me to keep everything original stock. This use the speaker connector in the bracket.

1 wire is the signal from the top speaker connector, another one is the return from the crossover (2 separate bigger wires)

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
After few tests, I find out that front gain adjuster as move way too high during reinstallation.

Now its working perfectly!

102.7 db is good, i wanted something a little bit more powerful than stock... now im more than happy!

Subwoofer connector (DoogieB idea thanks!)

Complementary pictures:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do have to agree that the sound quaity of the tuner sucks compared to the usb input.
I might have listened to 30min of my free trial of sat radio before it expired.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I do have to agree that the sound quaity of the tuner sucks compared to the usb input.
I might have listened to 30min of my free trial of sat radio before it expired.
Of course AUX jack, FM and AM aren't has good as USB and CD (digital) ...

Tuner might suck, don't use it thats it :p

Anyway nowadays it's always ads at the radio, prefer to download the TOP40 tracks if i want to hear radio music... bonus... no damn loud ads!!

[^]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Satellite radio sound quality is pretty poor...they ought to dump 30% of the channels and improve the sound quality on the music channels (dump those dedicated Canada channels for example, hahah).
I like having the TV news channels and music during the AM/PM commutes when local stations are 75% commercials. I took them up on the $5/month for 6 month deal.

I saw a speaker (on amazon) which had adjustable mounting points to fit w/o adaptors. I'll post if I find it.
I also wonder if 6 3/4" by 6 1/2" speakers would fit: http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Two-Way-Component-System-Speakers/dp/B0017LFSXU/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_z

·
Registered
27 Posts
Holy crap you rock ELCouz, thanks for the great pictures! I will be doing the install this weekend (weather permitting) so this will help out so much.

You mentioned that the KTP-455U requires a 15 amp power source, and that the 16awg wire is too thin to handle that much power.. Do you still think this could potentially be an issue down the line? Is there anything I can do to remedy this to ensure I don't damage anything?

The speaker install seems pretty straight-forward, but I'm a little hesitant about installing the amp. I want to make sure I keep everything safe and running smoothly for the long haul. Thank you for bringing up these safety concerns, since this is something that never would have occurred to us newbies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Holy crap you rock ELCouz, thanks for the great pictures! I will be doing the install this weekend (weather permitting) so this will help out so much.

You mentioned that the KTP-455U requires a 15 amp power source, and that the 16awg wire is too thin to handle that much power.. Do you still think this could potentially be an issue down the line? Is there anything I can do to remedy this to ensure I don't damage anything?

The speaker install seems pretty straight-forward, but I'm a little hesitant about installing the amp. I want to make sure I keep everything safe and running smoothly for the long haul. Thank you for bringing up these safety concerns, since this is something that never would have occurred to us newbies.
I have the same question. I just did the install yesterday and it really makes a huge difference! I can really crank my alpine 610s now without loosing sound quality. But I am concerned about the power to the amp. I don't want to catch my dash on fire. Is this something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 455 is fine in my car cranked with the stock speakers at the right input level, not sure what the difference will be with the replacement speakers. My gains are at minimums now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
LIte12, what does installing the KTP-445U achieve when you are running with stock speakers? Does it improve audio clarity/range or just make them louder?

I'm curious because when I crank my stocks, they get so loud I can barely tolerate it, so I am wondering what the amp alone does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey ELCouz, I am starting this install tomorrow but just had question about one picture you posted:

Why do you have three wires coming out of the speaker mount? If I understand, there is the amp input that comes in through the white connector, then you run that out to the crossover. From the crossover, you have a mid going back to power the 6.5" speaker, and another wire going to the tweeter. So that accounts for two wires, but what's the third wire for?

Thanks!

*edit* just to clarify, when I say "wire" i mean a set of + and - wires. Upon looking closer at this picture, it looks like you have two wires with + and -, but another thicker one that just appears to be one? I must be missing something here!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry, one more question! I am just replacing the 6 speakers for now, but not a sub quite yet. Will I need to purchase any additional speaker wire, or will what's included with the speakers suffice?

·
Registered
322 Posts
LIte12, what does installing the KTP-445U achieve when you are running with stock speakers? Does it improve audio clarity/range or just make them louder?

I'm curious because when I crank my stocks, they get so loud I can barely tolerate it, so I am wondering what the amp alone does.
I am curious about this too. I think adding an amp without changing the speakers probably just make the sound louder at a given volume. I think the stock amp clips the high and low frequencies at high volumes - adding the amp might negate that.. but the clipping was added for a reason (crappy speakers)

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you go through the trouble of adding an amp.....please.......put in a decent replacement speaker/comp set.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry for the delay getting back.
As I can tell the benefit of adding the alpine (or any other inline amp) to this system is to add the headroom of power to go to a louder volume without crossing into the 18+ on the stock HU where the bass succumbs to the highs.
I can tell the difference on mine without a doubt and can't wait to get the new speakers in the doors to make it shine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for clarifying, Lite12. I did the upgrade to the Polks over the weekend and the difference is absolutely huge, haven't done the amp yet. But if you notice a difference with just replacing the amp, I can't wait to hear the Polks when I get around to installing it too!

I'm actually amazed how good the stock speakers sounded after seeing them. They are made out of paper and put out amazingly good sound for their quality, but relatively speaking, sound terrible compared to the new Polks.

Just a few tips for any newbies looking to install these speakers. I've NEVER installed speakers on a car before, or really done any car maintenance in general. I would probably rate this job a 7/10 on the difficulty scale, and if it's your first time, I would set aside two full days to do the job. There was a lot of cutting / mcgyvering required, especially when installing the tweeters. It is NOT a very straight-forward job, but with the tutorial on the first page, it's definitely do-able if you have the time.

Here is more or less a definitive list of materials / tools you will require to do this job:

Tools:

- Screwdriver set with various bits (need a T-25 torx)
- Dremel Tool with various heads (this was a HUGE help for almost all aspects of the install, and it would have sucked without it)
- Drill with various drill bits
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks (for installing tweeters)
- Soldering Iron
- Door panel removal tool (try to get a metal screwdriver-type one with a straighter head. The panels are damn near impossible to get off without one)
- Wire cutter / stripper / pliers/ box cutter / etc (standard tools everyone should have)

Materials:
- High quality automotive electrical tape
- Speaker wire (most of what you need comes with the Polks, but you will need a bit extra)
- Electrical solder & flux
- Insulation foam
- Self-tapping screws for installing speakers into the brackets

Depending on how you do your wiring, you might need a heat-shrink gun and shrink tubing, but I didn't need any for the speakers. This will more be required for installing the amp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone have an updated link to buy the harness linked in the first post of the thread? It looks like the post linked has had its link removed. An ebay search yields this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Conne...etooth_Handsfree_Car_Kits&hash=item35d8b841b4

Same thing, or is there a Focus specific version?
I believe the Focus MK3 (2012+) has it's own unique wiring harness which is different from this one, but maybe someone else who has done the amp install can chime in to verify.

101 - 120 of 297 Posts