Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have silverstars in both of my 01 ZX3's, and have had zero problems after 3 years on each. I wore gloves as i pulled the old ones out, changed gloves, and installed the new ones. No problems at all. can't say anything bad about them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Silverstar actually cost me a ticket... and more that I've explained in the general chat forum. I've been impressed with the light output but not the life. I believe SKAAddict is right in his post. I'll have to try some alternatives before my other silverstar goes out on me. My ride looks funny with one silverstar, one stock halogen.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've always used Silverstar Ultras. Never had a problem. In my Mountaineer I've had them in for 3 years and never had a problem. As long as you make sure they're in right and don't touch the bulb, etc. you won't have any problems. Even if I did have problems my dad works at sylvania so I get them for free. :)

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
i just got some for my new headlight assemblies and i love them. i usually use xenon hid look alike's, but they didnt have them in the size i needed. the silverstars are good tho.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have news for this thread!

2008 Focus use DIFFERENT plug than '00-'07. It's 9008 now, not 9007.

Anyway, I have bought the Silverstars for the car, and honestly, can't tell much of a difference. I don't know if the stock bulbs were just really really good, or the Silverstars just aren't that great. I have nothing to complain about, and I kept my stock bulbs just in case, but anyway.

I'll look for better alternatives sometime soon.

Oh yeah, changing bulbs on an '08 is a HUGE PITA.

·
Registered
889 Posts
bought silverstars today, spent almost $70 on them, took me forever to figure out how to get the bulb out, couldnt figure out, got so pissed so took the whole thing off and put the bulb in and def touched it like a million of times, so tomorrow im gonna return them :).. just ordered those super plasma gtx and now im thinkin about somethin for my fog lights, but can't really find anything except this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XD5-899-Quartz-5800K-Xenon-Whitest-Bulbs-Fog-Driving_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33709QQihZ005QQitemZ150235811598QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
5800k its too much i think, doesnt say anything about the power, but wouldnt it burn the plastic?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
yeah foci aren't the funnest things in the world to change the headlight bulbs in...... One of mine burned out so I replaced it in the dark in the rain in a parking lot under a streetlight so I could get home.... It really sucked. You cant freaking get your hand in there or twist it far enough to get any leverage on the stupid retainer. Its so dumb.

·
Registered
180 Posts
bought silverstars today, spent almost $70 on them, took me forever to figure out how to get the bulb out, couldnt figure out, got so pissed so took the whole thing off and put the bulb in and def touched it like a million of times, so tomorrow im gonna return them :).. just ordered those super plasma gtx and now im thinkin about somethin for my fog lights, but can't really find anything except this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XD5-899-Quartz-5800K-Xenon-Whitest-Bulbs-Fog-Driving_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33709QQihZ005QQitemZ150235811598QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
5800k its too much i think, doesnt say anything about the power, but wouldnt it burn the plastic?
Those bulbs are the immitation type bulbs. The only reason they say 5800k is cause they immitate that color. Which is a little tint of blue, not much. In my oppinion not worth the money at all. Because of that blue tinting they have less light output then regular bulbs. Also there comparison is fake. The lower the 'k' number, the brighter they are. As in, 4300k has more output then 8000k.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried the silverstars last year on my mazda 6. Most definitely a PITA to change. Yes, I did use gloves to install the new bulbs. One burnt out after like 2 months, the other after about 3. I sent them back to the manufacturer and they sent me replacements, so they honored their warranty. I kept stock bulbs in the glove box just in case and good thing I did, because those replacement silverstars also burned out after just a few weeks. Finall gave up on those POS and put the stock bulbs back in. No problems since. Silverstars are most definitely POS.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've had mine for 2 weeks now and I'm a fan. It took about 3 days for me to see a noticeable difference in the light. And because I've heard so much about these bulbs not lasting I got 2 sets.... hey at 7 bux a pair from the clearance section, how can you not buy extra sets? Oh yea, and I'm keeping the old ones in the glove box [thumb]

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
i have had a set of silverstars on my stock headlights , my fogs and my ST170's. ZERO issues after a year with the stockers and the fogs and so far about 8 months on the ST170's....the fogs have been in the longest too.

I can tell you RIGHT NOW, you touched the bulb, or something did.

Before I install EACH bulb, I use a fresh clean brand new microfiber towel and I rub each glass part thoroughly and immediately install. if I THINK I touched it I TAKE IT OUT and re-clean the bulb.

it pays to have a good clean bulb

·
Registered
99 Posts
Been changing halogen bulbs on my cars since 1987. That makes it......um let's see....21 years now. Never had a problem with any bulb except the silverstar. If it happened to one or two of them I could say well it was only bad luck...but when every single silverstar bulb I tried burnt out way too soon....you can only come to one conclusion...that they are a POS. For the few who have used them and didn't experience any problems....consider yourselves lucky. Even my mom owned a Pinto in the 70's and she never had any problems with it. Doesn't prove that that millions of them were great cars. Nuff said.

·
Registered
889 Posts
just talked to my friend, he has silverstars for over a year now on his mazda 6, and its completely fine..

·
Registered
7 Posts
as with any bulb, just make sure that you dont touch the bulb itself, just the base. Oil from your fingers will make the bulb too hot and burst it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah foci aren't the funnest things in the world to change the headlight bulbs in...... One of mine burned out so I replaced it in the dark in the rain in a parking lot under a streetlight so I could get home.... It really sucked. You cant freaking get your hand in there or twist it far enough to get any leverage on the stupid retainer. Its so dumb.
I just installed silverstar bulbs today and had the same problem with the retainer-Ford could have done a better job designing a better fit

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thread revival if it's OK with you.
Sylvania is owned by the German OSRAM.
There are two lines of Silverstars: Sylvania Silverstar and OSRAM Silverstar.
If you want the good Silverstars, then get the OSRAMs

Stop wasting money on overwattage, tinted, gimmicky, expensive bulbs that are not brighter than stock, just louder. Get true upgrades, such as Narva Rangepower.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts