Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i love silverstar. had them in my zx4 and now have them in my st and they lasted a the whole time of my old car and a year so far in the focus and i use the highmeans withlow on alot

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
im gonna try the xenon bulbs. i had the silverstar bulbs, one blew out this week after a few months

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had silverstar bulbs in my 02 zx3 for a year then when I started tearing the car down I moved them into my 00 zx3 and they have been going fine all year so far. I even had a problem with my battery causing the lights to constantly flicker and they still never had a problem.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
ive had mine for over a year in the focus.... just for x-mas i got my dad some for his f350, he was so impressed that friday when i came home from work there was another set of silverstars for my moms jeep on the counter for me to install...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
To add my frustration, I have those silverstar bulbs too and changed untill now 5 bulbs in one year. I had the car wiring checked just in case but all is fine so I blame it on poor qualityof the material. What really frustrates me is that you pay them a lot but only one filament in the bulb burns (low) while the other (high) is still good but useless

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
yeah. my low filament blew (usually what goes on cars). so today i went to target to get the xenon bulbs mentioned at the beginning of the thread.....they dont carry them. so i went to pep boys and got them. im going to put them in my car tomorrow if i get my car back. it's in the shop for a trans line leak. in the mean time, i have an 08 focus loaner car.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Pretty much any blue-coated bulb is going to be shorter-lived than its clear glass counterpart. There are strict DOT guidelines regarding headlight bulbs and lumen output, the bulb must fall within a certain range to be considered legal. More on this later.

Halogen bulbs generate most of their light towards the "warm" side of the spectrum, which is why halogen light is typically yellow-white. Coating the bulb blue cuts down significantly on the amount of light that gets past the coating, as halogens generate very little light on the "cool" side of the spectrum.

Now to combine the two...for bulb manufacturers to make a blue-coated bulb that meets DOT guidelines they have to make the filament burn hotter -resulting in higher lumen counts- to overcome the lumen-reducing nature of the blue coating. As a result the bulbs have a significantly lower life expectancy and higher cost. And the joke is really on the consumer - blue coated bulbs only produce the illusion of better lighting, due to the nature of the bulb they tend to generate a lumen count towards the low side of the DOT range standard, while most OE-replacement bulbs fall somewhere in the middle. So you're pretty much better off buying a plain OE-replacement bulb from a cost and performance standpoint.

If you want to spend the extra money, look into GE Nighthawks or (assuming you can find them) Osram Silverstars (which are different from the Sylvania Silverstars commonly found in most chain parts stores.)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had mine for a few months, and the output is nice. After these go, it's back to a normal replacement, they're not worth the money.
Just remember, they're German made. Translated, that means over-engineered and not-so-relaible.[idea]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Not really.

They don't fail frequently because they're a German-designed product (which they aren't), they fail because (like I posted) the filament has to burn hotter to make the blue-coated bulb pass DOT requirements for lumen output. Increasing filament temperature reduces its lifespan.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not really.

They don't fail frequently because they're a German-designed product (which they aren't), they fail because (like I posted) the filament has to burn hotter to make the blue-coated bulb pass DOT requirements for lumen output. Increasing filament temperature reduces its lifespan.
Forgive my humor above. Close inspection of my bulbs indicate "Made in Germany." I didn't say designed.

Additiontally, most filaments are engineered to last a certain amount of time given under certain conditions. They certainly could enhance the filament to increase the life expectancy. My assumption is that they did just that in the Silverstar ultra bulbs, no????

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hi all,
It's not in my nature to go on abt this but just for fun I complained to Sylvania abt the whole thing. They gave a fairly good explanation (sort like SKA did) and guess what they even trow in a few free bulbs to compensate for the inconvenience and the cost, Sweet of them. I currently have the Halogen XtraVision from Sylvania and they seem good, till now LOL. I might try out the Nighthawks though (still cheaper than Silverstar but hard to get where I live).

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have silverstars in my FoFo and about 2 or 3 weeks ago one blew out. I cant remember exactly when we got em but i think its only been like 7-8 months since they have been in. I really want some nice bright blue ones but i gotta stick with these for a lil while longer.

·
Registered
836 Posts
whats with all the bad luck with silverstars? I had a set in my old ZX3 for about 2 years, got rid of that car and took them out. leased a dodge for 2 years, then bought a SVT which i put the same silverstars in. been working fine for close to another year now.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
3 years and counting in the svt, 11 mos in the 07
as long as you dont touch the bulb with your fingers there will be no problem, use a clean paper towel to handle them. The slightest touch will leave oils from your skin on them which cooks into the glass causing a hotspot which shortens the life significantly. the instructions even specifically state how to handle them.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I hate silver star...i have bought two sets with in 3 months and the set i just got blew out all ready...no i didn't touch the glass they are just poor quality lights...but on the bright side this gives me an excuse to get some HID...lol [woot]

61 - 80 of 98 Posts