Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my focus svt feel sluggish @ around 3500-4500 rpm's on the highway, I lost to a '90 civic hatch w/ a b-16 swap, why why why ? my car is so slow something feels wrong, Any ideas ,please .

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well, the first thing I should point out is that a B16 swapped hatch of that vintage should be quicker, tho perhaps not much faster, than an SVT. Thats ignoring any mods that may, and likely have, been done additionally. You must accept this and move on, cheap speed = Honda, or if you dislike Hondas, 5.0 stang, 1.8T VW, a few others come to mind. Focus is very low on that list.

HOWEVER, thats not what you asked.

You may have a DSI problem, read up on the DSI clip and check yours, you may need to remove at least part of your intake to do so. If your long runners are stuck open you'll feel it most at very low speeds and low RPM's, but the engine wont feel right until almost 5000rpm.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I was DEAD even with a 2003 Civic EX with a B16 SWAP....from a dead stop to when I was in 5th [:)]

he shouldn't be eating you alive though.....+1 on the DSI clip.....

·
Registered
411 Posts
WHat the hell is up with the honda motors anyway. I know B16 means its a 1.6 liter but isn't that smaller than what was originally in the civic EX to begin with?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just cause the engine is smaller doesnt mean it isnt better. Vtec is the name of the honda game. If you dont have it your not cool. so people swap vtec engines into their car. b16, b18, h22, k20, k24, etc. Different motors for whatever you want to do. Boost or n/a. Hondas have everything.

·
Registered
411 Posts
doesn't the EX already have a "vtec" motor in it lol. I thought it was the top civic model.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Hate to dissappoint you, but the SVTF isn't a drag car...1st and 2nd gears are just not set up for dragging.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
HaveBlue83, thats indirectly my point; that generation of Civic weighs about what our cars do, something like 2600lbs. An early 90's weighs, optioned, something like 2200. From what I gather its fairly easy to do some pretty generous weight reduction on them too.

The Honda issue has been discussed at length many times before, tho I imagine it'd be hard to dig up with a simple search. This recent thread might give you an idea, if you read the whole thing: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87834

If you really wanted to know, I'd personally ask somebody like B16SIR1991 or Autoworks, who both build or have built Hondas in the past.

·
Registered
134 Posts
HaveBlue83 said:
I was DEAD even with a 2003 Civic EX with a B16 SWAP....from a dead stop to when I was in 5th [:)]

he shouldn't be eating you alive though.....+1 on the DSI clip.....
A 90' Civic is alot lighter than an 03'.

But yeah, Check the DSI clip. Then check plugs. Mine crapped out after about 30K miles and took my wires and coil with it.
Good luck man. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
how is this happening?... i've gone at it with PLENTY of hondas... and 7 times out of 10 i'll eat them up.. im running bone stock.

????

·
Registered
50 Posts
the B in B16 means its a twin cam 1.6 and they run 160 horse stock and rev to 8
where a D16 otherwise known as the D16y6 or y8 is a single cam with vtec only on the intake side or maybe it was exhaust side the vtec switches to a more agressive cam profile so the motor can make decent torque down low and still continue to make horsepower over 5500 rpms a pretty complex set up but the single cam version only makes 125 and it is whats in most honda civics except the SI which has the twin cam and some del sols the big brother thats commonly swapped is the gsr or B18 which is a 1.8 litre version of the B16 sourced from vtec integras non vtec integras have a torquey 1.8 twin cam and the vtec version puts out 180 hp stock the jap spec one puts out like 190 i hope this helps explain why he was so fast

90% of the time you will beat a honda because kids just put junk on their single cam and thats why v8 guys and rednecks in trucks hate on them so much because most of them are slow but what they dont know is 1 out of 10 honda kids realy has a fast car

·
Registered
50 Posts
yes................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a friend with a 199? Civic and B16 swap. He took it to our local 8th track and ran a 8.97 first pass. I called it a fluke and he wouldn't run it again. Since then I have run him on motor and hang pretty close but he takes me by a fender or so everytime. With me in it my ZX3 weighs in @ 2642 lbs. His Civic with him weighed in on the same day at 2139. I've got probably 80lbs on him. Both cars are set up by IDRA regs with door panels, dash, and two front seats. I also have the headliner and carpet in my car (mabye 35-40 lbs) he does not. I think his originally a DX model which was lighter than the EX but that is mostly interior weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know were the DSI clip is? is that clip detrimental to my cars performance, I'm tired of hearing that i lost to a Honda. The '02 svt should've have beat him, right? we were dead even and he walked me after i downn shifted from 5th to 3rd @ around 45 mph. i beat him uptop around xxx, but down low this car felt like a slug going uphill!!! what am i doing wrong , please help this sad focus:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts