Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me just say that i feel rather stupid asking this question. im kind of a newbie to car audio but ive done a lot of pro-audio just nothing exactly like this.

so i got my x-mas gift from my girlfriend a bit early and as i had hoped, it's an Alpine iDA-X100 head unit.

i'm installing tonight but i have a silly question. i'm stepping down from 4 speakers to 2. i have a 2-door, rarely carry passengers and i'd prefer to just have one sound stage. currently the speakers are stock, but i'm swapping the door speakers for alpine type-r's hopefully by the end of the year and adding a sub in the spring.

here's the stupid question that i can't seem to figure out- would there be any benefit or drawback to splicing both left channels (F & R) into that front speaker left speaker and the same on the right? the signal is the same- since it's just a 2 channel source and there's no surround or anything. in theory... you have two stereo amps (4 channels) in a HU, right? so wouldn't this be similar to bridging each one into one channel, giving me two channels? the wiring isn't exactly the same but the concept...

or am i just being an idiot, should i shut up and tape off the rears when i add my speakers?

i feel idiotic for asking since if this made sense it might be more common... but whatever... we'll see. [gunfire] away

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well anyway i decided not to do it and i just hooked up all four for now. i'll probably just get a cheap amp for the fronts if i really am craving more power after i swap out the speakers.

thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dont forget also if you start hooking up multiply channels into the speakers that the OHM levels will change.

The only way i could see doing it is if you had a set of like Bi-amp able speakers, like the home audio stuff...or a set of like the higher end speakers such as Polk momo which allow bi amping

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
you will still be getting the same amount of watts. A HU is different from an amp.
How is a headunit any different from an amplifier? Almost all hu's have built-in amplifiers. The only thing that you shouldn't do, which, in this case, is in question, is bridge the channels on an hu, since it's not designed to be used that way.

As for your question dj elite, you can hook up just the front speakers to the headunit and you won't have any issues, but don't hook up both left channels (f & r) to the left front (same with the right side).

I would recommend looking at a couple other brands for speakers. The two that I would look at are Pioneer and Boston Acoustics. From Pioneer, either the A-series or the D-series are good, and from BA, the SL80's are by far the best direct replacement 5"x7"/6"x8" speaker available right now.

Mike

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Dont forget also if you start hooking up multiply channels into the speakers that the OHM levels will change.
Actually, you have that backward...when you hook up multiple speakers to one channel of an amp is when you start having to take the impedance into consideration.

Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually, you have that backward...when you hook up multiple speakers to one channel of an amp is when you start having to take the impedance into consideration.

Mike
Very true thanks Mike....guess you shouldnt be drinking and answering topics on forums that require thinking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tips.

as far as the speakers... for some ridiculous reason i've always wanted a front-to-back alpine system with type-R comps and a sub and alpine amps. why? i have NO idea. but i do know i wont be happy till i get it done with... so im just gonna do it and get it out of my system (no pun intended) now and use it as a base line and really shop around when i do my next car/system.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree with with 02ZX3NJ. A head unit is different than an amplifier. A head unit can not be bridged like most aftermarket amplifiers. And its not that the Ohms of the speaker change, but when you think about it if for some reason you could bridge a head unit, it would now need 8 Ohms not 4. Hooking up all four or just taping off the rears was the best option. Good choice.

I always thought it would be cool to do one whole system using one brand too. I live with in miles of where the Alpine factory used to be, and I would drive by there all the time thinking of how cool it would be to have a foci with a whole matching set up.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
I agree with with 02ZX3NJ. A head unit is different than an amplifier. A head unit can not be bridged like most aftermarket amplifiers. And its not that the Ohms of the speaker change, but when you think about it if for some reason you could bridge a head unit, it would now need 8 Ohms not 4. Hooking up all four or just taping off the rears was the best option. Good choice.
Again:

How is a headunit any different from an amplifier? Almost all hu's have built-in amplifiers. The only thing that you shouldn't do, which, in this case, is in question, is bridge the channels on an hu, since it's not designed to be used that way.
And it's no problem at all to run an 8 ohm speaker off of a headunit. And it wouldn't NEED 8 ohms...when you bridge an amplifier, and hooking up a 4 ohm speaker, you are in effect creating a 2 ohm load on each channel that is bridged, which, most headunits cannot handle.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts