Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh. My. God.

Here's the story. My two sideskirts needed a repainting. Nothing major, just a simple... SIMPLE... repainting, with clearcoat.

My buddy who painted my rims said he would be able to do it. Since he did such a nice job on the rims....

.... and I have seen his work, I agreed to let him do it. He told me it would take 3 days. I gave him the skirts JUNE 14th... because I wanted them ready for the Massive SPeed Systems G2G.

I got them back YESTERDAY. Over the 3 weeks, he had them, he told me his gun blew, it was 'too humid' to paint, and gave me other excuses to keep pushing back the date that I was to get them back. I FINALLY went up there yesterday to get them.... and....

....they look absolutely HORRIBLE. I mean... they are so GOD AWFUL, I am not even putting them back on the car. I didn't even take pics of them yet, because I want to cry everytime I see them.

When I took them out of the car after I got home.. paint had SCRAPED off! I looked.. and it WASN'T EVEN DRY YET. It looked like a 5 year old painted it. That rough 'orange peel' effect was ALL over the surface, and it looked like he just painted OVER the old coat. None of the lines were straight, and seriously.... it... it just looked so bad I wanted to cry.

I was like "What happened?!?!?!?" He said he was sorry, and that he 'didn't know' I screamed at him, then left. When I finally got back home, I looked at the recipets he gave me for his materials.... and they were dated 7/01 and 7/03... meaning he JUST bought the stuff to paint them, and that for three WEEKS he had been lying to me! I am SO FUMING PISSED right now, I want to break something. SOmething expensive. Now.. the question I have for all of you...

1) What can I expect a paint shop to charge me to colormatch a pair of Xenon sideskirts?

2) What recourse, if any, do I have with this guy? I know it was a private transaction, but he RUINED them. I HAVE to get them painted professionally now. I want him to pay for HALF the cost of the repaint.. I don't think that's unreasonable.

3) Anyone have any suggestions as to a good paint shop in the Wisconsin or Northern Illinois Area?

So now.. for the near future.. my car will look like this..... weak... and incomplete....

I just want to cry. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.... thanks for listening to my rant...

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Matt, if you want i can talk to my neighbor, he does automotive painting, and he painted my front bumper, and panel... he does a damn good job, and he is VERY reasonable in his pricing.. im sorry to hear about the sideskirts though, that BLOWS donkey balls....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
you took a risk, in letting a amatuer paint them... It would be very unreasonable to have him cover half of the paint.

Unless of course, you had something in writing saying "I promise I won't F up."

The xenon skirts are more than likely In fine condition.
It needs to be stripped of Whatever type of paint that he used.
Lots of sanding and lots of laquer thinner....

Then spray with DuPont vinyl-based paint.
Or you can take it to a professional shop. They'll most likely use the vinyl-based paint there as well...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I may be able to help you, I know the owner of a body shop near where I work. He has done lots of work for me already, and does very nice work. If you want more info, give me a call this evening.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^^

I might be doing just that...

Everytime I even THINK about this... I want to just SCREAM.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
i have a painter up here by me matt that did work for lanting and did a excellent job, affordable and ase certfied

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Unfortunately I think you have little recourse... and honestly, I think this is just the risk you take for having a friend do a job like this. Leave painting to the pros!

Thinking about the xenon rear lip... how do you like yours? do you have pics of it?

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Black and Tan... I have pics of the rear lip in my gallery... OLD OLD pics, though.... Car has since been debaged.. hehe.

Aaron... would you PM me with pricing details... if you have any?

I'm so PISSED... Aaahhhh!. Next up was gonna be the SVT suspension and the FC 65mm TB....

Guess that's not happening now...

Well.. I shouldn't say that.. maybe i can get a good price.....

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It'll be cheaper if you do the prep work yourself.

Strip that old paint off and sand it down. You might even consider getting two quotes from the bodyshop... one for if the stripping and sanding is done first, one if they do it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
For what it's worth, I could have my brother in law hook you up withthe paint job- he works at a shop in Waukesha and will be doing some work for me next week, I'd be happy to take those along and get 'em painted. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
get some other friends to jump him, and make it look like a random jumping. then have them split the money with you, right after you pay him. or to make it even more believable, have it happen WHILE you pay him, and have them have like a fake gun or something. lol.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
matt if you wanna come up by me, my car just got sprayed today by goss auto body here in menasha, these guys are super nice, and very quick... id say cheap too but thats a bad word... so inexpencive...

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Creative idea, avril.... But no.

I'm currently shopping around for options. I have this kid scared shitless though.... he thinks I can sue him. All the many many hours I have spent watching Law and Order: SVU are finally paying off ni that I can make myself SOUND like I am official and I know what I am talking about... hehe.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
omg matt are you serious?!? No offence, but those rims weren't painted all too well. They look GREAT if you stanfd far away, but go up close and they don't look perfect at all. I wouldn't have let him do that to my car, but I'm sorry man that sucks ass. You should do the prep work yourself, that shouldn't be hard. Hell, even I could prolly sand and shit ;) or powerwash them and see if that'll take most of it off since their peeling?!? Actually prolly don't do that unless you have a secure way to hold them down without getting torn up. But anywho sorry to hear man and I know of a shop but their a little pricy but do great work, they did my car and now it looks all good :) but susie might be able to do them for you for a good price. who knows man check around :) Good luck!

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
yea there crazy.. the paint on the rims wasnt a pro job... they look good standing back, but not right up close... sorry brotha`

as for the skirts.... you can sand them yourself, and just take them to susie and have them done.. shouldnt be that bad of a price... ive heard really good things about her work!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Got my entire ford factory ground effects lip kit painted and put on for $525 after tax. I think the painting itself was right around $350 of it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Not to hijack... but... gonna do it anyway ;)
I'm looking for sides and rear. Where'd you get your lipkit, FocusBoy?

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I found a place around here with the help of a good friend.

I will keep everyone posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts