Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my side mirrors on my 2000 ZX3 is loose and bobbles on bumps. What does taking it off entail, does anyone have any visual guides or pictures they could show me? Is something broke inside or is it possible it just vibrated loose? Thnaks for any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the misfortune of needing to change the drivers side mirror on my car. I hit a stationary object [mad].

I don't have mine yet but when I went to investigat the damage, I found you'll need to pull the power mirror unit out of the way, it just snaps in place. Then inside the door frame you'll find a small torques screw at the front and a 10mm bolt in the main body of the mirror.

You can try to tighten those up but be carefull, the screws are wood type screws with a very course thread and you could damage the plastic very easily. If you have power mirrors and need to get a new unit, you must buy the complete unit, but I found mine in Canada to be quite cheap considering what you get. Good luck

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
is the whole houing loose, or just the glass? If it'sjust the glass the glue is probibly comming off. In order to take a side mirror off there is one bolt and a screw.

I don't have any pics but I can give you a step by step to find said fasteners.

1) For the screw, it's on the door jamb a little bit above the hindge toward the front of the door.
2) the bolt. You have to remove the cover on the inside of the door, the little triangular piece that sits on the inside of the mirror. If you have power mirrors you'll have to disconnect the harness. If they are manual, I'm pretty sure you have to twist the little connector off that has the cables attached to it. It's been a while since I replace a manual mirror, but it's not hard. Once you have the cover off look through the door itself and you will see the nut holding on the mirror.

I can take pics of mine when I get home if you want. Hope this helps

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the side mirror housing., the black plastic that holds the mirror itself to the car, it's loose and jiggling. Do u need to remove the trim piece in the car that if your mirror are automatic has the nob to move them on it? Is that what you menan when you say black triangular piece? Thanks alot. Also if it is the trim piece, is there a certain motion (i.e. up and to the right) that you need to move it? I tried a few things to no avail.

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
yeah by triangular piece I meant trim piece. On the inside of the trim piece there are little metal clips that hold it on the door. I'm gonna go try and sneak out to my car real quick and snap a pick for you.

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
I got pretty busy here at work and was unable to get out to my car, but I get off in ten minutes so when I get home I'll snap a few quick pics and post em up[thumb]

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
Alright, here's some pics, I hope they help you out

Here's a shot with the trim piece off, it also shows the clips, and the torx screw in the lower left:

Heres a shot of the back of the trim piece. Note there is a clip in the middle, refer to the first pic for the slot it goes into:

Next is a shot of the torx screw. This is (1) of two fasteners used to hold the mirror on the car:

This is a shot of the bolt used to hold the mirror on. This is the other fastener used to hold the mirror on. You have to peel back the foam in order to access it:

Hope that helps[thumb]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts