Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've got a 2004 Ford Focus mk1 with power mirror regulators. The right side-mirror has got two issues;

- At speeds above 50 km/h the mirror starts to vibrate. It's not so bad that I cannot actually see trough it but it's a bit annoying
- More annoying; if I close the right (passenger) door a bit harsh the mirror is adjusted to look more toward the ground and I must adjust it again myself.

Replacing the entire mirror unit would cost me quite a lot of money, does anyone have a cheaper solution?

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
It sounds like it has something to do with the motor in the mirror or how it connects to it is loosening up. You could try opening the mirror up and see if it's anything that can be tightened or fixed. Also make sure both mounting screw/bolts that hold the mirror to the door are tight.

Have you tried salvage yards for replacement mirrors. The going rate for replacement mirrors in the States is around $20 US. If you haven't already tried, look around and see what you used options are since a complete replacement of the mirror would probably be you best bet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It might have been hit and got dislodged from the mounting plate behind (I'm assuming it's motorized and probably heated too). Try adjusting the mirror so its perfectly straight and apply gentle force in the middle section until it clicks. If that doesn't help, you will need to remove the mirror and check that the components inside the housing are all secure. Use a plastic tool with a wide surface area to distribute the pressure and lever it out gently from the outer edge. If it's heated, note the wiring attached to the back of the mirror.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pardon me for the late reply!

Thanks for both answers, I will try to 'click' to back it on. I rather don't screw it open myself due to my lack of technical knowledge about the car. Now I think about it I think the scenario that it got hit sounds very reasonable since there are some scratches on the mirror.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I glanced at these mirrors already since buying them at Ford would cost quite a lot.

However I just solved the problem. First I gently pushed the mirror which did not help. Then I used the power mirror regulator to tilt the mirror to the complete left and I heard something snap, then I started to drive and it didn't shake on the highway anymore! Slamming the door didn't adjust the mirror either so I assume the problem is solved.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Excellent. Don't you wish everything can be that simple.

There are 3 types of wing mirrors in the diagram I posted earlier. These are all for Focus MK1. It seems that the housing cover for the bottom two can just come off, incase you want to apply some spray paint to cover the scratches.

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
The outside glass simply snaps in, some kid playing with it probably unsnapped one of the snap shafts. You can carefully unsnap the glass to simply put it free in your hands and then see how it goes in place. Mirror thieves here take them right and left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts