Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone has upgraded their manual mirrors to power. Is it possible and what are the steps to do this? I have manual, I think because there’s a lever inside each door by the mirror, and neither works. Odd thing is there’s a fuse in the spot for power mirrors and it’s good. Since neither worked when I bought it last week, I assumed the fuse was blown. Fuse good. Went to pick-n-pull and saw several Focus’s but they had one switch inside the drivers door by the mirror. This led me to believe both are just manual. Before I run off and buy two new manual mirrors, I figured someone else may have upgraded to power and can guide me along. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I’m wondering if anyone has upgraded their manual mirrors to power. Is it possible and what are the steps to do this? I have manual, I think because there’s a lever inside each door by the mirror, and neither works. Odd thing is there’s a fuse in the spot for power mirrors and it’s good. Since neither worked when I bought it last week, I assumed the fuse was blown. Fuse good. Went to pick-n-pull and saw several Focus’s but they had one switch inside the drivers door by the mirror. This led me to believe both are just manual. Before I run off and buy two new manual mirrors, I figured someone else may have upgraded to power and can guide me along. Thanks.
Im not as familiar with the MK2 as the MK1 but your car may/may not be pre-wired for the power mirrors - you would need to pull at least the drivers door panel off to tell. If not you would need to run wires into both doors and run wires from door-to-door as one switch on the drivers mirror controls both mirrors. You would need to get all the needed mating connectors/contacts from a donor vehicle. Not impossible but difficulty depends on your skill/experience level.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. Not familiar with Mk1 or 2. I’ve got an ‘08 Focus sedan. Seems parts stores like to call it the S but I can’t find that anywhere on the car. Just seems odd both go bad. Not finding anything online on how to repair either so I guess it’s a replacement.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Sorry. Not familiar with Mk1 or 2. I’ve got an ‘08 Focus sedan. Seems parts stores like to call it the S but I can’t find that anywhere on the car. Just seems odd both go bad. Not finding anything online on how to repair either so I guess it’s a replacement.
MK1 = 00-07 (some refer to 05-07 as MK1.5)
MK2 = 08-11
MK3 = 12+

BTW I didnt even know you could get a MK2 with manual mirrors

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No kidding. I’m finding none at the junkyard and not easy online either.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
No kidding. I’m finding none at the junkyard and not easy online either.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Rockauto sells them but they are almost as expensive as the power ones. Go figure.

Does you car have power windows and/or locks? Have you pulled off the drivers door panel to see what wires are in the door from the factory?

Paul

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Manual windows and locks
More than likely your car has no pre-existing wiring in the doors. To add power mirrors you would need to add a good amount of wiring, connectors, etc, both in the doors and under the dash. Probably not worth it.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did the upgrade on my 2007 Focus Mk1 wagon after backing into a trash container and ripping the mirror off. My focus was prewired. A simple bolt-on upgrade. I'm looking forward using to the heated mirrors this winter in case of ice/snow.

Jim Mc
2007 Focus wagon (current)
2002 Focus ZTW (now gone)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I did the upgrade on my 2007 Focus Mk1 wagon after backing into a trash container and ripping the mirror off. My focus was prewired. A simple bolt-on upgrade. I'm looking forward using to the heated mirrors this winter in case of ice/snow.

Jim Mc
2007 Focus wagon (current)
2002 Focus ZTW (now gone)

Ive done much research and modified several Focuses to upgrade to heated mirriors. Although your 2007 may have been prewired for power side view mirrors it may not have been prewired for the heater function. Did the connectors that go to the mirrors have all 5 wires populated? (many only have the 3 needed for the power function). Also even if the door harnesses have the wires for the heating elements many times the underdash harnesses do not. And dont assume that because the heating element fuse (F49 for a 2007) was installed from the factory that the wiring is all there. Did you actually do a continuity test from the fuse to the wire for the heating element at the mirror to confirm a complete circuit?

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
46 Posts
Paul,
Thanks for your reply. I can't remember how many wires were present when I installed the mirror only that it was more than the one it replaced. I did not do a continuity test. The mirror seemed to demist on an overcast drizzly day compared to the passenger side mirror that I had not replaced yet. The real test will come this winter. I appreciate the heads up and have my fingers crossed.
Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I bought my 2008 in 2013, the window sticker was still with it. It is an "S", most basic Focus you could buy, no options with manual mirrors and locks, crank up windows, 15" steel wheels with plastic wheelcovers. It's Kiwi green with what Ford called a "stone" colored interior. I've been upgrading it since. First thing was a rear stabilizer bar from a Gen. 1 wagon With Steeda links. Gold stripes set off the green, had gold Contour 15" wheels on it for awhile, but recently upgraded to 15 spoke 17" wheels powder coated gold.

There are plenty of Gen.2 Focus showing up in Pick-A-Part yards around here now, so one of the first things I added was the black leather seats. I wanted to add black door panels, but haven't been successful finding them for crank windows. I pulled coupe black door and quarter panels along with power window switches and tracks, but even though I have a 2008 Ford wiring diagrams, I'm hesitant to start wiring them, afraid I'll upset the "Logic" that's talked about, and disable the whole car. Same with the fog lights I'd like to add.

I've pulled the dash apart, but I'm stumped. I'm ancient and used to working on cars from the Sixties and Seventies, so most options had separate wiring harnesses. Everything on the Gen. 2 Focus seems to be woven together. There is a second separate harness from the door connecting on the A pillar that powers the power windows, locks, and mirrors, but where it goes after that is a mystery. I thought I could just plug into the smart junction box, but haven't found the right terminals yet. In the meantime, I have the power trunk opener, self dimming rear view mirror, fog lights, 6 disc premium radio, and amplifier/subwoofer waiting to plug in. Advice to jdomke1 is push the mirror glass as you manipulate the toggle in your door and see if they won't free up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Tried that. Going to see if I can pull apart to figure out. Yes. It’s an S model.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're very, very careful, you can pull the backside (which is really the front) away and unhook it, that should provide access to the cables, and amybe you can lube them and get them working again. Here's a diagram, number 4 is the part I mean. If you do break it, looks like it's still available. Tasca Ford is a little cheaper on parts, but Blue Springs has treated me well, much better than my local dealer in Brownsburg, In. Good luck, Scott.

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/auto-parts/2008/ford/focus/s-trim/2-0l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/outside-mirrors-scat

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thanks. Tried that. Going to see if I can pull apart to figure out. Yes. It’s an S model.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
At this point in the thread Im not sure anymore what you are trying to do. Let me know.

Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
OP had manual, cable operated outside mirrors that were frozen. Wondered if changing to power mirrors were an option. Gen. 2 don't look like it's possible without extensive rewiring. If you know better, please educate us, I have a lot of options I'd like to power up, so would appreciate hearing from someone with experience. Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pulled the mirror forward and off to see inside. I think it’s hopeless. I’ve spayed jb blaster in there. I can move it from the outside and the stick inside moves right along. I just can’t move from the inside and get any real movement on the outside. Found someone on eBay with both for $110 shipped. Easier to replace then spend more time on it.

It’s unfortunate the car isn’t more upgradable. My Ram 1500 has lots of upgrades because all the wiring is there. Even something simple on the Focus like upgrading the instrument cluster is impossible. Theft light and nothing more to do. No responses from any of my posts so now I’m stuck with the fancy cluster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts