Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the passenger side mirror and committed the most annoying mistake (I dropped the bolt inside the door panel). I took the door panel off and was met with tons of glued insulation that I do not want to take off. Figured it would be better to just buy a new bolt.

I know the bolt is a 10mm bolt, but does anyone know the exact specifications of length and thread size?

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I was replacing the passenger side mirror and committed the most annoying mistake (I dropped the bolt inside the door panel). I took the door panel off and was met with tons of glued insulation that I do not want to take off. Figured it would be better to just buy a new bolt.

I know the bolt is a 10mm bolt, but does anyone know the exact specifications of length and thread size?

I almost did the same thing but instead when I was putting my mirror back on I had a bolt snap into, so I had to get it ordered from Ford cause no one carried the Torx head bolt in that thread for some reason. . Your right about it being a 10mm but I think the threads are metric . Might try a 1/4 thread but the metric version of it .

Might be easier for you to cut a small slit in that insulation and you might be able to see it and use a magnet to get it out .

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
10 mm head, the size should be 6 mm x 1.0 pitch x ~ 15 mm length.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Not really. Most people running around now with broken regulator pieces inside door and no knowledge of that whatsoever. The regulators break left and right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
10 mm head, the size should be 6 mm x 1.0 pitch x ~ 15 mm length.
For future reference, at least for the 2007 Focus SE this size will not work. I had to use a 1.25"x30mm bolt I found at Lowe's, the head being a 13mm.

The above measurement doesn't even touch the walls of the hole.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I know this is a revival of an old thread but I think there may be some misinformation. The factory screws that hold the mirror are not 'machine screws'. They have threads for cutting into the plastic on the molded bosses in the mirror housing (ie 'plastite'). At least this is what they are on my 2005 ZX4:

Paul

Reactions: wcpa911

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if the big bolt is the same as what I previously had. All I know is that I needed something a bit thicker than what was originally recommended. The one that I put in didn't have a screw tip to it either, it was a round bolt tip.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The mirrors on my car have 3 studs which goes thru the door frame & nuts are installed on them.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Not sure if the big bolt is the same as what I previously had. All I know is that I needed something a bit thicker than what was originally recommended. The one that I put in didn't have a screw tip to it either, it was a round bolt tip.
The factory plastite bolt:

8mm major diameter
4.3mm minor diameter
25mm long
10mmm hex head
16mm integral washer

Paul

Reactions: wcpa911

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Paul is mostly right I think. Commonly people without a clue put machine type screws in bare plastic and absolutely incorrect. The way to know is to look at the threads, if plastic they need that cutting screw. There may well be some that need machine screws instead if metal nuts are embedded in the plastic.

It's the pits finding the plastic screws, you may as well give up or pay exorbitant amounts at Ford getting them. Sheet metal screws work grand if properly sized for the hole, I use them all the time and pennies in cost.

Occasionally you run across a plastic part where the hole size is in between the common sizes of sheet metal screws, on those you can measure the ID and OD of the screw and redrill your hole in plastic to suit to slightly bigger to use the next size screw up without busting the plastic hole boss all to pieces from too big a screw. Because that's what'll happen if you simply screw it in there.

The idea is to fix it, not break it worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread again but I ran into a problem when trying to change out the passenger side mirror on my 2005. I have previously changed the driver's mirror and had no problem but this one is getting me. So there are three plastic pieces sticking out on the new mirror that you have to line up with the holes in order to pop the mirror in place. However, in one of the spots, there isn't a hole. Instead there is already a jagged plastic piece in there. I knocked the mirror off rather violently, so that may be why it didn't come out cleanly with the rest of the mirror. There was a 6 mm bolt in the spot that seemed to be holding the piece in place but after I removed it I still couldn't get the piece out in order to insert the new mirror. I can't tell if I am supposed to be pushing it in or pulling it out but neither method has been successful. Has anyone encountered this and can give me any ideas on how to remove the piece so I can put the new mirror in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Depends on if you are talking about the whole mirror + housing or the mirror glass itself.

Pics worth a million bucks here.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If just a piece of one of the mounting posts and the screw already out then simply break the plastic remainder up with a pair of visegrips.

There is no clear instruction on that type of work as what is needed is different in every situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts