Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the paint for the mirror caps. I read the HOW TO section. I does not give a detailed explanation on how to remove it....it just says to remove it. Any advice on how to remove it without damaging it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Its not very easy sorry to say... Theres little clips behind the mirror that are holding the caps on. It took me a good 30 minutes looking/playing around with them, before I finally got them off. Just be really careful that you dont break one of the clips...

·
I'm Back!
2,304 Posts
I have the paint for the mirror caps. I read the HOW TO section. I does not give a detailed explanation on how to remove it....it just says to remove it. Any advice on how to remove it without damaging it? Thanks
^^Totally Agree, I have been trying on and off all last summer, and I just gave up.[mad]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did u use a small screwdriver to pry? At what point of the seem should I start to pry? Does anyone have a pic of the caps off the car?///// are the clips on the cap or the main body?

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are three clips that hold the cap onto the mirror. If I recall correctly, there are two out at the end farthest away from the car and one back by the door. I figured it out first at the junkyard. Better break stuff there than on my own car.

You have to move the mirror around to get access to the clips. They are "u" shaped and can be pried up with a long flat bladed screw driver. They hook onto a little tab that is part of the mirror structure. I got two screw drivers in the two clips that were close together and popped both of them. Then you will see a gap between the cap and the mirror. Then pop the third clip.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
That's a project on my list. Apparently you don't pry on the seam. You get to the clips from the mirror side. A long thin screw-driver, and a small light are needed. It's easier to see the clips if you work at night, using the light.

I wonder can you buy the mirror caps separate?

·
Banned
589 Posts
I worked at night with an LED light. I had an extra mirror laying around that the base had cracked on (stupid non-folding mirrors) so I just ripped the mirror glass out and looked at that one to see where the clips were.

I cant seem to sleep tonight so I guess I'll go down to the garage and take a pic and make it a little easier for everyone. (hint hint I wouldnt mind some rep here at all!) hehehe...

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]EDIT[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Here's a few pics that should make this a piece of cake for you... These pics are of a drivers side mirror, just flip it for the passenger side. I'd recommend skipping your smallest flathead screw driver and just go for a longer one. I found it was much easier to bend the tabs with more leverage. Also, dont be afraid of breaking the tabs, they are made of fairly resilient plastic and can easily be bent back into place. (I've removed the caps several times now to get the polishing done to my liking)

1st a pic with no edits so you can clearly see the tabs...

In this pic I have circled the recessed holes where the tabs are, and also included some arrows that point in the direction the tab needs to be pushed with the screw driver... I found it easiest to start with the tab on the far left, then work clockwise to the tab on the top, then the tab on the right...

and finally a pic of the back of the mirror cap itself so you can see the tabs...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
this is also on my to do list eventually, i just suck at painting lol. couldnt you just take the whole mirror off and tape off all but the cap? or wouldnt that work i dunno.

·
Banned
589 Posts
No, you do not have to remove the mirror glass. You do have to tilt it to the max though to fit the screw driver in there.

The mirror in the pics was an extra drivers side mirror I had laying around that was broken so I ripped the glass off to get an idea of where the tabs were so I would not mess up my good mirrors when I went to paint their caps.

Nepafocus03: You could essentially do that, however paint coverage around the edges would not be as good as it could be. If your somewhat of a perfectionist like me and like everything to be just right I'd take the caps off. It is very easy to take the caps off, just take a look at my pics above...

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's really not that scary. Use a flash light, and don't be afraid to tilt the mirror in every direction possible. I happened to have a driver's side mirror that I removed with a tree last winter, so here's a couple shots from the view you'll actually be seeing. Where you see light inside the mirror is where the tabs are located. There are three of them. Tilt the mirror all the way inwards to see the two outside tabs, and tilt the mirror all the way down and outwards for the inside top tab.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow. This makes it soooooo much easier. Thanks guys for putting this stuff on here. I painted my housing black, and now i'm gonna paint the cap. So this will make my life less stressful when i do it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow. This makes it soooooo much easier. Thanks guys for putting this stuff on here. I painted my housing black, and now i'm gonna paint the cap. So this will make my life less stressful when i do it.
That's what we're all here for. The free exchange of information on this site single-handedly removed my fear of modding my car. I don't have much to offer, but some of the other nuts around here are an endless supply of knowledge.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's what we're all here for. The free exchange of information on this site single-handedly removed my fear of modding my car. I don't have much to offer, but some of the other nuts around here are an endless supply of knowledge.
Seriously, i feel that. I owned a 1993 Camaro Z28 ( http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/my1993z28/P8310003.jpg ) and i never would have touched the paint for fear of ruining it. Since i've owned the focus (and joined the site), i've done a bunch of stuff and it's great to be relieved of not wanting to mess stuff up. Gives you courage once you have good information and guidance. [headbang]

·
Registered
145 Posts
thanks for the pictures guys, I was wondering about this too even after reading the how-to. Definitely on my soon to do list! +Rep for guys with the pics!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool...got em off. Did not take long when I figured out what I was looking at. Turning the lights off and using a flashlight is good advice. Look at it from all angels. Move the mirror around. Roll down the windows and look at it from inside the car. I'm in the garage getting ready to wet sand. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts