Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, newbie here.
So my daughter got side swiped on the right (passenger side) and the insurance company totaled the car. I bought it back from them and now I want to replace the front passenger airbag system and components. I guess I need the curtain, a module and sensors. Does anyone here know exactly what I need to get the system back to normal? What kind of cost am I looking at?

Thanks guys and or girls...I look forward to using this place and helping where I can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd buy used components if possible. New will be cost prohibitive (there's a reason they totaled your daughter's car). I'm not familiar with where the items are in that car but typically the curtain needs replaced, the sensor (probably in the vicinity of the center pillar) and the control module (brain) which is usually in or around the center console. Foci also tend to blow the seatbelt pre-tensioners but this may not occur in a side deployment. After re-installing the components you will probably need a Ford dealer to reset the system and clear the SRS codes.

Side curtain deployment will usually ruin the headliner also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd buy used components if possible. New will be cost prohibitive (there's a reason they totaled your daughter's car). I'm not familiar with where the items are in that car but typically the curtain needs replaced, the sensor (probably in the vicinity of the center pillar) and the control module (brain) which is usually in or around the center console. Foci also tend to blow the seatbelt pre-tensioners but this may not occur in a side deployment. After re-installing the components you will probably need a Ford dealer to reset the system and clear the SRS codes.

Side curtain deployment will usually ruin the headliner also.
Thanks for the info...So, I found OE airbags on ebay for $100-$150, it looks like the module is located behind the left side kick-panel on the drivers side, I think I can remove it and send it in to my airbags.com for reprogramming for less than $80. The only seatbelt that is locked out is the drivers belt as it was the only one worn at the time of the accident. I found a seatbelt on ebay for $100.
The only thing I haven't rounded up a source for is the pillar sensor(s). Is there only one? Or is there one for the A and B pillars?
Is it located behind the B-pillar panel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If feasible, I'd buy secondhand components. New will be too expensive (there's a reason your daughter's car was totaled). I'm not sure where the things are in that car, but the curtain, the sensor (possibly at the centre pillar), and the control module (brain) are normally located in or around the centre console. Foci also have a tendency to blow seatbelt pre-tensioners, albeit this is less likely in a side deployment. After reinstalling the components, you'll probably need to have the system reset and the SRS codes cleared by a Ford dealer.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,671 Posts
Make sure you have someone lined up (dealer or collision repair shop) to reset the system BEFORE you spend any money on parts. You may find that nobody will touch a DIY repair due to liability issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts