Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the appropriate area to post.

I picked up one of those Sickspeed mini antennas on August 17th and the thing is already discolored. Very disapointing that it didn't even make it two months before turning brown. I didn't have a problem with signal strength but I used the radio only once or twice since I got it.

Side that was facing up

Down side

·
Registered
650 Posts
But K&N make great filters and do turn brown after a while....oops you mean the antenna lol lol What color was the tip originally?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Haven't found one of these I would trust.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Any reviews for the Steeda stubby? I bought one but havent installed yet.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But K&N make great filters and do turn brown after a while....oops you mean the antenna lol lol What color was the tip originally?
It was gloss black.

Same thing happened on mine---turned to copper color. Figured it was this Georgia sun.
Plastidipped it.
Problem solved.
I Just went back to the stock antenna.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Does anyone know of a good antena that will improve the Sirius signal strenght? i drive a lot in the woods because of where i work and the signal gets really spotty out there.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Look south when you loose signal, any hills in the way will block satellite signal. Cities have local broadcasting or buildings would make it worthless.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you want a stubby antenna that won't discolor, try this one by Cravenspeed:
+1 for the Cravenspeed. I bought one for my Escape and I'm now using it on my C-Max. Looks good and gets as good of reception as the OEM.

Does anyone know of a good antena that will improve the Sirius signal strenght? i drive a lot in the woods because of where i work and the signal gets really spotty out there.
I believe the satellite antenna is internal, or in the hump the stick antenna screws into, not the stick.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Anything black anodized aluminum that is subjected to heat will turn that brownish "red wine" color always! I ran into this issue on on my bike that's black and got some black anodized aluminum engine case covers from woodcraft 380$ for one side and $240 for the other side..... Yeah i was pissed.

Luckily you only blew $2 on a stubby antenna, now you have learned your lesson, if you want it to stay black buy "powder-coated" metal items

plastic will sun bleach so don't go that route either

·
Registered
368 Posts
I talked myself into buying the Cravenspeed stubby for my Focus. Not that I need it (my OEM antenna is undamaged), but I prefer the looks of the stubby and it doesn't have to be removed for commercial car washes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts