Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Until Saturday, I had a 2014 SE that I bought new to replace my 04 2.3 manual ZX3 (which I LOVED). Had all of the same issues as others, mainly the 1st - 2nd shudder. I got tired of trying to figure out how to drive it. Some days it would be nice, most others it would not. It stunk in bumper to bumper traffic. The last straw was when I went to turn right onto a street and the RPM's surged as if it was out of gear. I actually looked down at the shifter to see that it was in gear - it was. Don't know if it was the tranny or TCM that caused it, but the dealer didn't find anything and of course it was "within spec". I even asked the service manager if he'd let his wife drive the car and he said "no way". I ultimately got a low mileage 2016 Fusion and got hammered on my trade, but what choice did I have. It truly is unfortunate for those who can't afford to have a choice, and more importantly, who knows how many people have been injured because of this crap. Only tough part now is driving the Fusion and expecting it to chug along like the Focus. It's weird how that car screwed with my brain. Good luck to everyone that has to deal with this nightmare.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Until Saturday, I had a 2014 SE that I bought new to replace my 04 2.3 manual ZX3 (which I LOVED). Had all of the same issues as others, mainly the 1st - 2nd shudder. I got tired of trying to figure out how to drive it. Some days it would be nice, most others it would not. It stunk in bumper to bumper traffic. The last straw was when I went to turn right onto a street and the RPM's surged as if it was out of gear. I actually looked down at the shifter to see that it was in gear - it was. Don't know if it was the tranny or TCM that caused it, but the dealer didn't find anything and of course it was "within spec". I even asked the service manager if he'd let his wife drive the car and he said "no way". I ultimately got a low mileage 2016 Fusion and got hammered on my trade, but what choice did I have. It truly is unfortunate for those who can't afford to have a choice, and more importantly, who knows how many people have been injured because of this crap. Only tough part now is driving the Fusion and expecting it to chug along like the Focus. It's weird how that car screwed with my brain. Good luck to everyone that has to deal with this nightmare.
Glad you were able to dump it. I find alot of people's experiences have more to do with their dealer than anything. Sure I hate this car's tranny but I love it otherwise. But our dealership has really treated us well and have never argued about what we had been going for. It's currently in the shop for the 2nd replacement (first was done 2 years ago with the F revision).

Just contemplating how long to keep this thing before dumping it. Maybe this new revision will be a fix but I am not holding my breath

·
Registered
131 Posts
I walked into my dealership on Saturday morning and 5 minutes later was approved for a clutch replacement. I am behind about 40 others and the service writer said it will take about 1-2 months due to a national back order. He gets about 10 units in at a time and they go down the list in order.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got my new clutch pack a few weeks ago, It's like a totally different car now. No jerking or hesitation. I took it in for them to look at and they did the clutch that day, which is nice. I did make a appointment for it a few weeks before and maybe they saved the part for me ? It is a smaller dealer so that might have helped.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My wife dropped the car off yesterday morning and the dealer had the clutch replaced, reprogrammed and adaptive learning dine by the afternoon. They also rotated the tires and changed the oil. My wife is picking it up this morning.
It pays to have a good dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So far so good, the car is driving like a dream now.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Our clutch was replaced In the summer. So far so good. Not once have I noticed a shudder.... That said it's a different drive. Shifts are not as crisp and pronounced.. Its more like an automatic now

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just got my clutch replaced yesterday. They used the updated "B" version of the clutch and the "C" seal kit. So far, everything seems great. The 1-2 shift is slightly abrupt but seems to be improving as it learns. No shudder as of yet so greatly improved.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So my GF's 2015 Fiesta had this problem and they replaced the clutch. No problems since then.

My 2014 Focus Titanium hatchback has not had this issue yet. I am at 19k miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
2014 HB (42K miles)

Have experienced the RPM's surge on mine but i was in 3rd pulling hard and had to come to an immediate stop, the the surge happened (I believe I may have even down shifted to 1 quickly "not intentionally"-i have select shift auto) this has happened twice since December of 2016. I think it had to do with the way i was driving the car though???

Additionally, I have always had a weird 1-2 shift, when I don't have an aggressive take off, mostly low speeds as mentioned above. (almost feels like 1st is just to short and when I do shift it myself or let the ECU shift, it almost hangs for a split sec- if that makes sense)
*****Honestly if i shift before 2k or so (out of 1st) at low speeds this doesn't happen.

I am still learning how to drive this thing and feel like it has gotten better but at times is weird.

Other than that the car is smooth and seems to be operating normal. Please let me know your thoughts!

·
FF Affiliate
30,142 Posts
To be honest , yes a tune can void your warranty IF Ford Dealerships reported your Focus had a Tune

Ford Dealerships have no way to test to see if a tune has been loaded or if there is a tune in your Focus

I have been Tuning the Focus for 18 years , I have never had a dealer void a warranty because a tune was loaded or they suspected a tune loaded , I have had a few customers leave there flasher , box , SCT decal etc and were threatened

Tom

21 - 35 of 35 Posts