Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem.We brought our Ford Focus in with clutch shudder about 3months ago service advisor rode in car said he would document it .Never did.Have asked dealer have they done it and never did.Now we have to start all over.Ford rep that called me acted like she didn't believe me because it wasn't documented.Frustrated .FORD knows the car is doing it.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
What's the current problem?

Each time one goes in for a "shudder" issue what's done to it depends on how it performs after the latest software update when checked by their computer system for RPM variation. Service adviser noting it when riding along wouldn't affect that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer said a mechanic has to drive the car and replicate shudder and then document what it's doing.They have never put it on anything to do with with the computer.That's why when service advisor told my wife he felt it and was going to document it and never did.Now we have to bring it back let a mechanic test drive and put it in writing before we get put on waiting list for clutches which are on back order

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Ford doesn't know diddley without it getting hooked up & tested, they don't approve clutches unless that testing is done. (Reported direct by VIN through the computer)

Tell the Ford rep. that exact story, and start looking for another Dealership.

Sounds like you contacted Ford already about the issue, get a case # for it? Ford Reps. who check in here can hook you up with the regional CSM, but it sounds like you might be there already if you made the call to Ford yourself.

STILL need a Dealer who'll work with the system as they're supposed to, not putting people aside on a waiting list with the assumption they'll qualify for that repair when they decide to tell you there's a clutch pack kit on hand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to Ford rep today got a case number but won't do anything until car is documented that it needs repairing.I agree with you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been to five dealerships about my shudder they are all have an average of a12-15 car wait and no parts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have been to five dealerships about my shudder they are all have an average of a12-15 car wait and no parts

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using FF Mobile
Yes, that is typical.
I've been waiting almost a month now for new clutches, there are about 20 ahead of me at my dealership.

Those dealerships might tell you that there are no parts, but my dealership let it slip to me that they actually have about 15 clutch packs in for the cars ahead of me, the problem is that people don't show up to get the service done. (Either because of inconvenience, or etc.)

I might be able to jump the line soon at my dealership.

Dealers are required to drive the car around to confirm the shudder. If they find that the car shudders (it doesn't even have to feel very bad...), they then hook their diagnostic system up to it and drive it around some more.

Their diagnostic system monitors clutch A and clutch B RPM, engine RPM, clutch signals (engaged, disengaged) for each clutch and which gear is selected, then graphs them out simultaneously.

If the diagnostic shows less than 250 RPM variance during clutch chatter events (shudder) then the car does not get a new clutch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THE problem with mine they know it's doing it .Service advisor drove it and said he was going to put it in the computer he didn't.NOW they say he's not a master mechanic and it didn't count.it's already had one set of clutches put in.I just haven't brought it back.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
The way you write it up, it sounds like it's been 3 months and it's still not on the list anywhere as checked out & waiting repair.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WE thought we were on the list but the service advisor who told my wife he would document in the computer didn't and the service manager said he couldn't only a master mechanic can.SO we just haven't bought it back yet because they say parts are on backwards.MAYBE one day it will get fixed.Ford seems to be no help.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Up to you, but you might have made it to the top of the list by now if you'd gone along with them to get it looked over again to get on the list.

Wait until they tell you it could be done immediately, and you'll prob. wait until it's a pile of rust.

Some dealers are faster than others at doing them, others do as few as they can get away with. Maybe they put one mechanic/bay on the jobs & he can do just so many a week, IF they show up on schedule.

Heck, one member got told his Dealer had 15 sets on hand - but many don't make their scheduled appt. so he's hoping to get in earlier.

Only thing for sure is that if it's not a priority to get on the list to get it done, it'll never get done.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Heck, one member got told his Dealer had 15 sets on hand - but many don't make their scheduled appt. so he's hoping to get in earlier.
I think what created this phenomenon is that the clutch packs have been on a 1-2 month backorder for quite some time now. People go in complaining about the shuddering, the dealer complies, tests, and finds that the cars are approved for new clutches, orders them, then tells customers they are on backorder. Customers wait and wait for the clutches then either give up or are too lazy to take the cars back to the dealership to get the service done when their clutch pack finally arrives.

My experience with my local dealer is significantly different now than it had been in the past - I had initially taken my car in for the shuddering issues AND completely missed shifts at WOT (it would hit redline then completely cut fuel off in limbo between gears), 1 1/2 years ago, only to be denied service (the mechanic at my dealership at the time kept harping on my intake, so bad that we got in an argument in the parking lot, so I escalated the issue with the manager, and then the master mechanic framed me anyway when they submitted a report to Ford Engineering telling them they had suspicions that my air filter was causing my perceived problems...Ford denied me clutches and told them not to service the powertrain)

Ford seems to be much more willing to help with ANYTHING on these cars nowadays. I got a new catalytic converter under emissions warranty last week, even with a modified air intake. It was surprising that they did not void my warranty because they could have easily claimed to most customers that the intake was causing the car to run lean and ruin the catalyst.

Here I am too, on the wait list for the clutches, no questioning of my motives or intelligence in regards to the intake this time around, with my dealer rewarding me a potential cut in line based on my diligence checking in with them and the other customers neglecting to show up for repairs.

My service advisor didn't initially tell me that the clutches were on back order or that they had so many in stock - he told me it would probably be 1-2 weeks. Only a week and a half later when I got my catalytic converter replaced, I mentioned that I already knew the back order wait time was currently 2 months did he explain why he initially gave me an estimate of 1-2 weeks.

They told me that probably half of people who come in and are approved for clutches lately just don't show up in a timely manner when their clutches finally arrive. If they don't want to come in, it just means quicker service for people like me. [cheers]

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Helpful info..

I'm just trying to goad the OP into doing something about the problem.

I understand the frustration with someone not handling it well in the past, but not doing anything is just cutting off his own nose now (figuratively).

I bet some are getting verbal approval from multiple Dealerships to take advantage of the first one to offer a firm appt., so some are tightening up the procedure to NOT give a place on the list to anyone who hasn't gone through the full approval process.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Good news, got hold of someone more cooperative based on your history it sounds like.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts