Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently added a K&N drop in air filter & decided to remove the snorkel & went ahead & removed the shroud while I was in there like a lot of others have done instead of cutting it. This way I can always re-install it later if needed. I'm very happy with the results (added power & sound) but wanted to get your thoughts on the pros & cons of messing with the shroud. My main concern is not so much the rain but more about the air flow of the shroud. By looking at how the shroud is designed it seems to direct air to the radiator so by cutting the top flaps like some do it opens that area to push air toward where the snorkel used to be (air intake area). By completely removing the shroud I feel that the incoming air will still hit the radiator but will flow all around it as well instead of forcing the air to the radiator & the upper air intake area only if I cut it instead. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Well I look at the ST. It is a bigger air sucker than the stock Focus. It can produce 250hp which is 90 more than the stock regular engine and it sucks air through the SAME HOLE in the frame member as a stock regular Focus. And it has the same sort of shroud in front of it.
(the ST does not have the big snorkle everyone is taking off. The ST has a little velocity stack in that place.)
So, IMO taking the shroud off is a waste of time, and probably screws stuff up way more than it gives you added anything. [cheers]

Now when you mod your engine and are producing MORE than 250 hp... Then you might go for the Ford Racing intake tube...
Until then...............

·
Registered
527 Posts
So I've been browsing the various threads on Snorkel Delete and I am slightly confused on the shroud part. I've seen some pictures, but they're just not clear to me. ...I just wanted to make sure that I can remove the snorkel and drop in an aftermarket filter and it would be fine to keep the shroud intact+uncut?
(pretty new car so I don't want to make any semi permanent or lasting changes just yet)

also got the $2 ST air inlet if that matters at all

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bent the driver's side down and clipped it with a binder clip I "liberated" from my office. I figure it gives me most of the benefit without doing anything irreversible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts