Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start with the pics:

The inner sidewall is COMPLETELY separated from the rest of the tire.

Specs:

Wheel: 16x7 Rota Grid, 45mm Offset, using a hub-centric ring, no spacers.

Tire: 215/45-16 Hankook Ventus RS-2 Z212. Bought the wheel/tire set with about 1,000 miles on them including an autocross. I've since put about 5,000 miles on them, mostly highway driving, including two trips to and from LA. They also endured a track day at The Streets of Willow Springs. The week after the track day, I rotated the tires front to back, so the tire that shredded spent most of its life on the front passenger side. When I rotated the tires, I did not notice any abnormal rubbing on the strut as seen in the picture, but there is the strong possibility that I missed it, don't rule that out.

If you need any other info to help solve this one, ask, because I have NO clue what happened. [confused]

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Maybe the tire was mounted incorrectly and the rotational direction was backwards? [dunno]

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ Nah, I look at my tires too much to not notice something like that. [:D] Tires were definitely pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Does the other side have similar wear?
Over-inflated tire, perhaps?

Both of my suggestions sound unlikely, just trying to help pinpoint the problem..

I am thinking a digital caliper would be useful here... (in attempt to measure distance of shock-body from the body of the car.)

·
Oh yeah!
2,522 Posts
How much rear camber were you running? Is everything torqued down to spec or any recent adjustments been made?

If I had to guess, I'd say the boot was damaged after tire separation; I think you would've easily heard the tire rubbing against the shock if that caused the sidewall to separate.

I'd ask how fast you were going, but I doubt you separated the tire due to high rotational speeds. Have you tried swapping on a different wheel to see if there's a rubbing issue with the wheel/suspension loaded (say spare installed for the wheel you're testing)? That would give you a pretty quick answer as to if the tire separated from wear on the sidewall from the boot/shock or from some internal structure reasons.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I've seen the belts delaminate through the sidewall at or near the location where your tire seperated, but not anywhere near the total seperation your tire suffered. Maybe a tire shop would have a good idea of what happened.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
"tire shop" is a really funny term, because very rarely will you find someone at a "tire shop" that actually knows jack about tires. what kind of psi were you running when you autox'd it? if you didn't pump your tires up enough, you could have pinched the sidewall during extreme cornering. I don't know how stiff the hankook sidewall is, so that may be something to look at.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I had a sidewall blow out and the tire shredded on both sides just like that...any evidence of a hole in the sidewall? Or did the tire go flat before this happened?

·
Registered
745 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me....very weird and unknown...big mystery to me...

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Damn. How odd.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks like it was run flat. With a performance tire with the all the sidewall strength, it is hard to tell when a rear tire is low on air. Because of the negative camber, the inner sidewall is the one that takes a lot of the stress just rolling down the road.

What did the inside of the tire look like?

Tony D
Retired Tire Dealer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts