Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my clutch replaced (shudder) and my strut bearings (clunk) replaced last week. This was the second time I had the bearings replaced for the clunk. This time they used a new part # and all is well so far.

However, now it seems like the car is drifting slightly to the left. It feels like I have to keep correcting it. It could be in my head I guess, since I had a rental for 3 days (14 Focus), but it's been about 5 days now and I still feel like I notice it.

I did notice the first time they replaced the bearings, on the service sheet it showed they did an alignment after. This time, no alignment is listed. I'm assuming they had to drop the strut, or remove them to replace the bearings. Is it normal to need an alignment after just removing and replacing a strut? Is this something they should have checked/done?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Got my clutch replaced (shudder) and my strut bearings (clunk) replaced last week. This was the second time I had the bearings replaced for the clunk. This time they used a new part # and all is well so far.

However, now it seems like the car is drifting slightly to the left. It feels like I have to keep correcting it. It could be in my head I guess, since I had a rental for 3 days (14 Focus), but it's been about 5 days now and I still feel like I notice it.

I did notice the first time they replaced the bearings, on the service sheet it showed they did an alignment after. This time, no alignment is listed. I'm assuming they had to drop the strut, or remove them to replace the bearings. Is it normal to need an alignment after just removing and replacing a strut? Is this something they should have checked/done?

Normally touching the struts or any other suspension component change the car geometry
.. if its a beater car (like my old 96 golf) I wouldn't do the alignment....for me still steer? good enough haha

With a new car or mostly new... alignment right away .

could eat up tire or wheel bearings or insert any FUD words here.

Seriously I would do it!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, yes, yes 100% an alignment should be done after replacing a strut!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Have you been back to your dealer to have this looked into? If not, I recommend setting up an appointment for this. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's basic geometry? Does everybody with a college degree or helicopter parents need to even ask such a simple question. When a tiny bit of thought would scream yes if they passed the 5th grade.

I forgot. They look at all these so called street race cars with negative camber slammed like a 70's low rider. And think the cool peeps with cars that aren't derivable know something.

May a Higher Power Help Us!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's basic geometry? Does everybody with a college degree or helicopter parents need to even ask such a simple question. When a tiny bit of thought would scream yes if they passed the 5th grade.

I forgot. They look at all these so called street race cars with negative camber slammed like a 70's low rider. And think the cool peeps with cars that aren't derivable know something.

May a Higher Power Help Us!
[???:)]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
While many say "Alignment! the suspension was touched" as a std. answer, there's no reason to recheck it for every possible service/parts replacement.

Strut bearing replacement shouldn't have ANY measurable affect, so if there wasn't a reason to check before that was done there's little reason to do it afterwards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes. You can get a slight amount of camber adjustment depending on whether the wheel was bolted to the hub or not when the knuckle-to-strut bolt was tightened. Also, anytime the camber is adjusted, it will affect toe which could translate to all sorts of issues depending on road surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts