Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see most people recommending to splice a LOC into a rear channel, when using the LOC to feed line level into a subwoofer amplifier. My question is, does it matter if I splice into a front channel? Is there a difference in my 2006 Focus stock head unit "fidelity" between the front and rear channels? I have heard that some manufacturers have full range to the fronts, and "poorer" quality signals going to the rear speakers. So I figured it might be best to tap into a front signal. Is this ok?

Second question... if I'm just using it for a sub, do I care if I tap into L or R, or do I need to tap into both and use a device to "sum" the signals together?

Thanks guys! [ffrocks]

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i dont think it would mater front or back. and for the L and R thing if you are uring a mono amp you would need to. i would anyways just because.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you explain why it is recommended to go on the rears?

Also, to the previous poster... I am installing the factory SVT sub/amp/enclosure, which is a mono 1-channel amp. Your post wasn't clear whether I should tap into just one (either left OR right), or if I should tap into both, and sum them together. I believe low frequency content is typically the same between L and R, but I don't know for sure. Sure, recording artists COULD make low freq's stereo, but what's the point... it is non-directional. I'm just looking for confirmation that my assumption is correct that tapping into only a L or a R is sufficient.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have also been toying with the idea of tapping into the speaker wires like "tri-mode"... taking the + from the left, and taking the - from the right signal, and feed this into a LOC. This is done when connecting a subwoofer plus two main speakers directly to a 2-channel amplifier, along with passive crossovers to separate the frequencies properly. Would this work? Would this "sum" the L and R content together? Or would it only give me the left channel?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Use the rear speakers. Both front and rear are EQ'd by the stock head unit but the rear speakers are a little flatter in their EQ'ing.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
that makes sence^. and i am not sure about the svt amp. if it only has input for one chanel only use one and that 3 thing you are talking about might damage somthing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it regarding the rear channel being flatter... thanks.
Is there an easy way to tap into both rears and get a single mono output?
I am looking to get this crossover HERE to perform the speaker-to-line-level conversion, and also act as a crossover so only the lows go to the sub amp. The problem is that this device has L and R outputs... not a single sub output. Is there another inexpensive device that can sum the two outputs? As you can see with this crossover costing less than most LOC's, I'm looking to get this set up for the least amout of money. THANKS!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
you can go to walmart and get a scosche LOC for like 17$. you wont need to put both L&R speaker wires into your LOC, only one side is needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts