Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what would be a better idea. I wanted to either turbo or supercharge my engine. My car is daily driven and I'm not looking to make more power than anything on the road. I just want something safe that will give me good, noticeable power, and I figure a supercharger would be alot safer than a turbo. How long do superchargers last in comparison to turbos? By the way, the turbo I was looking at was fmax, or maybe Toms kit, and the supercharger I'm looking at is Vortec. Oh and one other thing, I've been looking around and havent found this answer, are vortec kits street legal? Or emissions legal, or whatever?

·
Registered
380 Posts
the vortech kit is street legal, and carb exempt. i just bought one, i have to wait till i get off this deplyoment to install it, bet i cant wait haha.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Vortech is good but Tom's new kit is pretty cheap and produces alot of power sounds pretty good Its really a personal decision ethier is a good way to go Tom said you can't upgrade the turbo but you can upgrade the Vortech thats the only advantage i see but the turbo will produce torque to match the hp thats why its good

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, this is a hell of a decision.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
In the end to me its whoever you think will be more reliable if you think Tom's Turbo will have less problems get that if you think the Vortech will get that Power is important when spending this much money but reliability is to

·
Registered
481 Posts
id go with the sc. 1 you want something with a little power. if a dealer installs it, it will be warrantied for the work. also ford sells the jackson racing sc so if you get that through them, they guarantee the work and the sc. a turbo will give you gains but you have lag and eventually if you rag on it enough, the thing will be useless, i could be mistaken. but id go with the sc for the gains that it sounds like you want.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I've been thinking about it all day, and I'm still having trouble deciding. I like the torque that Toms new kit puts out, but I think the vortech would be more reliable (not saying Toms kit isnt reliable, but I just figured superchargers last longer than any turbos, correct me if I'm wrong). I need reliability cause like I said, my car is daily driven, and I put alot of miles on my car. That and I'm trying to keep my car as street legal as possible.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Tom said himself the cheaper kit can not be upgraded it if you upgraded it it would end up costing more then the expensive kit so no you can't upgrade the less expensive turbo unless you wanna spend more I like the torque on Tom's kit but I would probably end up getting the Vortech (plus I have an SVT there is no cheap kit for the SVT)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
jon its almost ready talk to Tom about it I like Tom's kits but I would get the vortech if I had enough money right now

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think I'll have to second the supercharger opinion, simply for the fact that you can get one covered under Ford warranty. Nothing like 50 extra horsies and a 100,000 km GHAR-RAN-TEE!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Ok on the reliability the turbo wont be any less reliable as long as it gets the oil it needs then it could go 80,000 miles before it would need to be rebuilt. And also as far as lag goes it isnt that big of an issue with modern turbos, and it would suit being a daily driver perfect with punch if you want it and power wont come on too soon. And the vortech doesnt get into full boost much before it at all a properly sized turbo would. And the vortech would be street legal but you also pay for that, and you would be having to stick to more restrictive parts(such as the cat) in order to maintain street legalness otherwise it doesnt matter. I still believe that toms kit would be the best option since it is the cheapest and packs the most power but its up to you just trying to provide you with info to help you with your decision.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
WinnipegZX3 said:
I think I'll have to second the supercharger opinion, simply for the fact that you can get one covered under Ford warranty. Nothing like 50 extra horsies and a 100,000 km GHAR-RAN-TEE!
The 50 horsepower gain is with the jrsc SVT system is 50 the normal zetec is 30 and vortech claims 60.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
hmm I dunno if Tom's is cheaper I would get Tom's but I have an SVT and the Vortech would be over 1k cheaper for me

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
He doesnt have an SVT so were talking about the discount kit tom is getting ready to release which he has priced at $2695.00 this is without tuning so tack on toms MIC for tuning and its roughly $3500. The vortech is $4500 so it is cheaper.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I didn't realize its that much cheaper go with Tom's in that case its cheaper and produces more torque Tom seems to be a good guy from what I know of him He wouldn't make a kit thats a piece of crap

·
Registered
13 Posts
from what tom was saying on another board he hadnt even started putting it together and was just toying with the idea. thats what I was going by. Id get the supercharger myself. I dont like things that arent upgradeable.

Jon

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. My knowledge of cars is pretty basic, so bear with me. It was always my impression the a stock Focus has 130 hp. I was just looking at the Jackson Racing site at the Zetec supercharger, http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33366 , and it says the Focus has 103 hp. Which is it? Is there any difference? Does Ford and Jackson Racing measure differently?

·
Registered
845 Posts
autotragic = 103-105 at the wheels
manuals = 107-110 at the wheels
the 130 is at the flywheel or crank? I forget

1 - 20 of 24 Posts