Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any idea why the larger turning radius? Is to limit the tires since they are larger than 16" "stock" and the SVT was 3/4" lower not to rub? I am guessing lock to lock is the same? Usualy for sportyer cars they reduce the lock to lock meaning the gearing in the rack is shorter... Also giving you more weighted steering.

Thanks for the info.
I'm pretty sure the reduced steering lock is just to avoid any rubbing with the larger stock wheels. Just like the new Focus RS has less steering lock than the ST, and the corresponding horrible turning radius!

Also an interesting tidbit about the SVT rack, I've heard from multiple places that when the Ford GT guys were developing the car in the early 00s, they went hunting for the best rack they could find and wound up using the Focus SVT one!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm running a standard zetec power steering pump on my svt at the moment. Didn't realize it until it was too late, but no problems works fine just at lower speeds it's ever so slightly stiffer kind of nice to be honest.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Do you have an electrical plug on the pump with nothing hooked up to it? That's the only physical way to tell that I am aware of.

The SVT has the high pressure sensor on the line (by the radiator 3 way split hose to the water pump / radiator / bypass hose.) The standard Focus has the high pressure sensor built in as part of the pump.

Stansbury dark pump:

SVT pump:

Notice the electrical connector. On the standard pump vs nothing on the SVT

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes purchased the Motorcraft.
i ended up getting the motorcraft from rockauto. I guess i was hoping mine was going to come in a motorcraft box. I was wondering the following:

1) Did yours come with tie rods? mine didn't
2) can you tell that you actually got a motorcraft part?
3) can you tell if they shipped me a SVT or regular focus rack and pinion?

i'm just spooked there was no labeling, so i really have to trust their inventory/labeling. I guess i should have just ordered from ford if i was going to be this concerned.

thanks,

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
There should be some stamping in the housing?

Did you get MOTORCRAFT STG94RM?

That's the SVT one and would expect to sere the STG94RM stamping where on the part.

The standard is MOTORCRAFT STG53RM.

I am guessing you paid the $252 + $252 Core?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There should be some stamping in the housing?

Did you get MOTORCRAFT STG94RM?

That's the SVT one and would expect to sere the STG94RM stamping where on the part.

The standard is MOTORCRAFT STG53RM.

I am guessing you paid the $252 + $252 Core?
yes, exactly i got MOTORCRAFT STG94RM. i just don't see the part number anywhere on the box or part itself so just worries me. i'm probably being ridiculous but just like to know i'm putting in the SVT part and i did get the what i paid for. I did find it does have a ford core deposit on the outside of the box so i'm guessing it is the motorcraft and not the one from cardone1 or whatever option was called.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I guess as a sanity check since the rack is different and runs a the SVT tie rod.

Take the old rack out of the car (which you already have done). Measure the max distance that the end of the tie rod goes when the rack is at max push and min push. Swap tie rods over and measure again. It should be the same. If the difference is larger than its the standard rack right?

Larger turning radius means less tire angle so less lateral change. smaller turning radius means larger lateral change on the rack.

Also you would think if the inner tie rods as have been stated are different for the SVT than the threads should be different to prevent incorrect installation so your inner tie rods would not install.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Good thinking, I will say I feel much better now, rock auto had covered up the motor craft sticker and part number with FedEx label and tape. It matches what I ordered, relief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Still no inner tie rod though? The picture of the standard Zetec shows it with tie rods.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
That's the outer end of the inner sticking out of the boot, the inner is both inside AND outside the boot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay,

I believe my steering rack is starting to act "funny" specifically the driver's side [USA/CAN/MEX]

I was checking or inspecting the wheel-bearing & ball-joint by placing a jack under the control arm, freeing up the weight of the car, and grabbing the tire... first at the 12 & 6 o'clock position; tight no "play".... then 9 & 3 position...

Found there's some play in the 9 & 3 position... and saw slight movement in the strut assembly [new].

Check the three nuts up holding to the body & front stress bar- tight.

Added a slight turn, tightened the spindle bolt a tiny bit further.... still the slight wiggle or "play" in the 9 & 3 position.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

2M5Z-3504-AARM

and

STG-94-RM

Tried searching BOTH part numbers and found it's discontinued!!! WTH....

Summit says by the end of the month...

STG-94-RM

How do I find an aftermarket replacement or how should I search for a shop within three hours of me?

Or how about a part number under the MK-I ST-170 version?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well,

Through Rock-Auto there's Cardone "Service ONLY" ITEM 22275

$189.79

6 to 13 day service time, not counting transit-shipping back & forth, and my SVTF seating on jack-stands... being out-of-commission for three weeks.....versus a day's worth of work swapping out with the part in hand.

CARDONE Item 22275

21 - 38 of 38 Posts