Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my AC Evap unit is leaking water all over the floor of my 2003 SVT. I took the housing apart and am going to seal it up with RTV to hopefully kill that leak. Since I had to remove the heater core and disconnect it to get the bottom of the evaporator housing off, should I go ahead and replace the heater core and hoses also? The car has about 40,000 miles...
Thanks
Robb

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Probably not needed, but as long as you're in there it'd be easy enough to do.

BTW, did you see that the drain for the heater box is just below the heater hoses? Make sure it's not plugged.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I say why not do it your in there already.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Did you make sure that the drain was clear of debris?

Yeah, I would. I tend to think of rubber more of a life of years not miles. Once you're past 10 years, your rubber stuff starts going.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, checked the drain first, it was fine. I could see the water seeping out at the seam where the lower part of the box meets the upper. The water must have been running down the side of the box, and working it's way out at that seam. I think I'll put it back together with an RTV gasket and pray that works!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would change out the heater core and the hoses. Your in there now, might as well do some preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GRRRRRR.... RTV'd the bottom of the Evap box back on, and the water leak is still there (only with the AC on). WTF. If I jam my hand up behind the box I can actually feel the water coming down the back of the box. Could it be the seal where the A/C lines come into the box? I really didn't feel like removing the whole dash.... but I guess I'm going to have to.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
GRRRRRR.... RTV'd the bottom of the Evap box back on, and the water leak is still there (only with the AC on). WTF. If I jam my hand up behind the box I can actually feel the water coming down the back of the box. Could it be the seal where the A/C lines come into the box? I really didn't feel like removing the whole dash.... but I guess I'm going to have to.
You do realize that AC systems remove moisture from the air, and that moisture collects on the evaporator, drips down, and must be drained somewhere. If it doesn't drain, the car will soon smell very funky on the inside, and always have condensation on the windows in the morning.

The drain for the evaporator is located between where the 2 heater hoses enter the cabin, and is pointed straight down. Take a flashlight with you when you get under there, and you'll clearly see a 1/8" round hole there.

Plug that hole, and you'll have a swampy car.

For your sake, please identify if you're leaking clear water or engine coolant. Clear water is ok, engine coolant is not. If you can't figure it out, then put a piece of cardboard under the car where it's leaking. Let it get good and wet from the drip. Then dry it in the sunlight. If it dries with a white residue on it- then it's coolant. If not, then it's water from condensation.

If you don't believe me, this is a mechanical action- all cars drip clear water when sitting with the AC running. The amount of water depends on the humidity. You can commonly see this in parking lots- especially under those vehicles where someone is sitting there waiting for someone to come out of the store.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I do - I'm well past that point, sorry if I wasn't clear.

The fluid leaking is absolutely A/C condensate. The drain is clear. I have already remove the bottom of the Evaporator/heater core housing from the car. The drain was completely fine. It only happens when the AC is on full blast on recirc.

And actually - the drain is not between the two hoses, it's below the two hoses and it points towards the front of the car.

Reading back through my thread, I point out a couple of times that the drain is not blocked so I'm' not sure why the condescending tone.

My only question at this point is where can the condensate be leaking out of the evaporator box?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'm' not sure why the condescending tone.
Me either, I didn't write it like that, but then it was between 5-6am here then. I probably needed more coffee.

My only question at this point is where can the condensate be leaking out of the evaporator box?
You'd think it would be sloshing around if it was that high. I'll go look in my Helms to see if I can see anything, but I haven't taken one apart before.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It wasn't that high, the drain is totally clear. Somehow, it's coming from up higher. Either water is getting blown against the back wall of the enclosure and leaking out between the halves (unlikely??) or there's an issue with the seal that goes between the evaporator housing and the firewall where the AC lines come through. Maybe there is a little exposed metal on one of the lines that is condensing and dripping down between the box and the firewall.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, dash = out... yay.

NOW - It has become quite obvious that the "leak" is what I thought it might be. When I stuck my hand behind the evap box where the AC lines come into the car, I pressed on the foam seal - a ton of water poured out. I assume water is condensing on the metal lines or something.

Obviously the box has to come out and a new seal put in, but I don't know how to disconnect the AC lines. And the next question is, will the AC lines soak the new seals just the same as the old seal?? How do I know replacing this damn thing will fix it?

Thanks for all the help. I plan to write a really good dash removal procedure once I'm done with this fiasco. There's a lot of info out there, but no good step-by-steps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I will be interested to see the install how to, I've been told my evaporator is leaking refrigerant, so I'm going to have to do the same thing, and I'm also thinking about replacing the heater core at the same time. My car has 114,000. I've almost had it with this car. It has been one thing after another. I'm trying not to have a bad opinion of it, but a bad evaporator that requires 8 hours of labor to replace is making it hard.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Considering what you went through to get to it I would replace the core and all hoses. And props to you for even attempting the repair I don't think I would have been able to do that one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts