Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking for a ford focus and have found this beautiful blue 2014 Titanium, I really like this car however I have been really hesitant to pull the trigger on it because of the transmission issues I have heard.

The car currently has 105k miles on it.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've not done adequate research but I believe you can mitigate many of the DCT related concerns with one of Tom's tunes. If it were me, I'd only consider a DCT if I also got Tom's tune AND found a steal of a deal. There are too many cars to pick from to spend very much knowing the car could be carrying catastrophic baggage - both from a reliability and safety standpoint.

Be sure you're not buying someone else's problems.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a ‘13 Titanium Hatch & I’d never buy another POS DCT, however if you’re going to do that, you’d Best Buy one with some warranty left or at least a CPO car. It’s not a question of ‘if’ it breaks, it’s ‘when’ it breaks. The Ford dealer wanted to charge me close to 2k for new clutches last year, so buyer beware. You’ll be spending more than the cars worth. Buy an ST & save yourself a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking for a ford focus and have found this beautiful blue 2014 Titanium, I really like this car however I have been really hesitant to pull the trigger on it because of the transmission issues I have heard.

The car currently has 105k miles on it.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion.
I had a 2012 Focus with the '6-speed automatic' and it was dreadful due to the stumbling on acceleration. You'll hate it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How much is the price they are asking, and have the DCT clutches been replaced? My wife's 14 Titanium had hers replaced around 52,000 miles. The car has 160,000 on it now with no issues. Still waiting for my '17 SEL to shudder, but so far no issues at 81,000 miles (125,000 mile warranty.) If the clutches have not been touched, I would not buy it. If it is cheap and the clutches have been replaced then I might, but these cars do not scare me. So far my record with these cars is 2 out of 3 with the shudder (13 Fiesta that was my daughters, the 14 Titanium). Do not buy if you are not prepared to deal with it. Remember, these cars with the DCT have no premium associated with them at all due to the issues and the publicity surrounding them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
WALK AWAY FROM THE DEAL. I wouldn't buy any Ford with that dual clutch transmission. Two years into my wife's 2012 Focus hatch, she decided to trade it in for a Fusion because of all the issues she was experiencing with the Focus' DCT. It was that bad. Even tried contacting Ford for buy-back, they basically laughed at the idea.

By the way, she had clutches replaced and it still did not solve the issue. I wouldn't take one if it was free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
99k + Before i had my clutch done. 110k got totaled. Looking for another 12 right now. Wifes had 61k before we traded it off for a truck to camp with. If you buy one,just drive the damn thing, DO NOT ***** FOOT AROUND,that will cause the clutch to chatter. P.S. my son bought my totaled, 5k+ in body damage, 12 to drive. So you can see my answer to owning one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2016 (with 23,000) from a local Ford dealer a couple months ago. On my drive home very bad shudder. Went back next day they replaced clutches and reprogrammed. Fortunately it is still under warranty. Side note, i was wondering if the pedal commander throttle enhancer would help or band aid the shudder issue as it increases throttle response at take off? Anyone try it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, after wrote this my wife's car died. It lost power and the service transmission message showed up. She restarted and made it to the dealer, they are claiming the clutches failed at the 100,000 miles used mark while I think it is the TCM as it is original. I am not paying $2000 to fix so we are going to buy my wife a Hyundai Ioniq Limited today since it gets 55 mpg. The Titanium will come home to sit while I figure out what to do with it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well, after wrote this my wife's car died. It lost power and the service transmission message showed up. She restarted and made it to the dealer, they are claiming the clutches failed at the 100,000 miles used mark while I think it is the TCM as it is original. I am not paying $2000 to fix so we are going to buy my wife a Hyundai Ioniq Limited today since it gets 55 mpg. The Titanium will come home to sit while I figure out what to do with it.

My TCM failed on the freeway in 2018 & almost got me involved in a serious accident. I was driving along & for no reason I just lost all power, every light on the dash came on & I had to take some serious action to quickly veer across three lanes to get onto the shoulder. After that, the car wouldn’t shift out of 1st, no reverse & briefly wouldn’t start again because it kept saying ‘car in gear’. Since that day, I don’t trust this car whatsoever, so I tend to drive in the slow lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tech admitted to my wife that they were hurrying and that the TCM may be bad. Wanted to replace everything, I said no. Replacing the TCM for $734.70. If that diesn't fix it I will sell it as is, I bought my wife the Hyundai Ioniq Limited with the ultimate package (top of the line) Saturday and do not feel like messing with this car if the TCM does not fix the issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
$2500 later and we have it back. Spent the day cleaning it inside and out, adding a new headlight and wipers. Carry running strong at almost 160000 miles, the next time it dies it is gone.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The 5spd's are good cars, but run like hell from the DCT. A coworker told me yesterday that his recently took a dump at around 100K miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts