Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Should I grease rear spindle?

692 19
Replacing the rear wheel bearings on my 2000 focus wagon (rebuilt the entire rear to correct a negative camber and friend took it on trip before it got aligned --- 5° toe out each side ruined bearings).

Question is:

I'm replacing the whole hub bearing assembly as one should I grease the spindle or bearing at all before install?

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
19,091 Posts
You can on the spindle a bit if wanted, they can go together dry as well but don't come apart as easy. I would probably use antiseize myself.

Trying to figure out how one can even assemble the rear to be toed that far out within the normal range of parts if new. One can align that as well using a piece of string as a toe setting aid to be near enough to not do any damage at all.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used aftermarket adjustable upper arms to correct bad factory toe/camber. Adjustment is forward of axle so it changes toe as well as camber. Told my friend not to drive it until I got alignment. Wouldn't listen.

· Registered
19,091 Posts
That sounds more like a matter of car control to me, who owns it vs. other.

Any incompetent should have felt the drag of 5 inches of toe, the car will not roll right and would drive like the brakes are on. Try pushing a car with that much toe, you can't do it. Acts like parking brake is on. Should have destroyed the tires in only minutes and the noise should have been obvious.

Just sayin'. If you are using the cheap bearings then you can expect the same thing again, I sold those and many have no grease in them.

Best start watching your a-s, this Chinese thing is getting out of hand and the parts we get from there are often flawed now with a purpose in mind and it has nothing to do with you doing better.

On an aside, do you know that your electricity is now higher due to American natural gas being sold overseas now to raise the cost to us? Guess who buys a solid 50% of it? Yep, China, and they then resell much of it to Europe for a higher profit over that. Europe, who we want backing us on Ukraine and NATO. Something seems to be wildly wrong there.

We are paying more for natural gas so China can get more money, nothing wrong there at all. All while we are arguing with each other.

Sorry for jacking your thread, it just comes rolling out at times.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No apologies needed your words of wisdom are highly appreciated. It was 5 degrees toe out rear before it was adjusted don't know what that equals in inches. Was told there was some light screeching on particular maneuvers.

I don't believe much of what I hear I believe it's all manipulated economic changes to strain all but the elites and forge the "great reset."

Correct me if im wrong, but I'm told brand name is nothing anymore no guarantee they havent sold out to China yet. I got Centrics hoping the drum hub would have a half decent bearing in it. Looks like *** brand which I've been told is similar to koyo, maybe they are wrong.

· Registered
19,091 Posts
They may be great. I bought some Centrics as well to happily find SKF of the highest order and they have been merrily whizzing along for some time now. Got 'em for a steal at $35 .

You ignore the brand of the major part to look at the bearing markings if they can be seen. Never trust the box either, LOTS of stuff reboxes now when the vendors get dropped to go to new.

Most important thing for bearing life is the torque on them, it is CRITICAL to life there. Give ALL it calls for or don't waste your time, the bearing WILL fail.

· Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,826 Posts
The brand name is [email protected] (@=A) guess that got filtered. I checked the numbers on the bearing.

I have the torque spec. Do I need to rotate counter clockwise 10 times? Any tips on how to do this incrementally, particularly? This must be done in the air and not on ground right?
As long as you are turning ccw while you start snugging the nut it will be fine. Yes up in the air.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
And yes, world class quality bearing there. Used them for many years on BIG printing presses.
Glad to know I lucked out with Centric! Usually get a problem everytime I order their stuff.

As long as you are turning ccw while you start snugging the nut it will be fine. Yes up in the air.
Ok so once it's snugged up I don't have to worry about turning ccw anymore? Or just do the best I can?

· Registered
19,091 Posts
You need to turn the part until at least half the way through the torque-up. The turning centers the races/balls and they are not locked until at least 50 ft.lbs in my view.

· Registered
2007 Focus 2.0L 4 door sedan
23 Posts
I would definitely put a bit of grease or anti-seize on the spindle, otherwise, the bearing can rust to the spindle and it may be difficult to remove in the future. It can also damage the bearing while removing the drum if the inner races are stuck to the spindle.

· Registered
19,091 Posts
It can be normal to pull a cartridge bearing like that apart when disassembling the unit. If you don't want to damage it then disassemble by removing the spindle from brake backing plate and leave drum on spindle.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Should I replace the dust shields? I called Ford and they said there were different part numbers for the left and right. How could that be?

Also does anyone think the alignment will be affected? Kind of the reason all this snowballed lol.

· Registered
19,091 Posts
Could be they are talking about rear backing plate. Alignment not affected if only the spindle or drum is coming off.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could be they are talking about rear backing plate. Alignment not affected if only the spindle or drum is coming off.
Not sure. Asked him 3 times if we were on the same part/diagram. I'll try another stealership.

Also, I can't feel any looseness or roughness when turning the drum with wheel off. Maybe this is a wheel bearing that only makes noise under load?

· Registered
19,091 Posts
They CAN do that and not even have to be loose if scarred up enough to still be bad. A few will do that. We assume all dead bearings are loose and most are, but when first coming undone they can get tighter before they loosen up to be super loose.

One way I double check is with brake backed off and spin with wheel on as fast as you can. If it makes noise you can often hear it then.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is the backing plate sandwiched between the trailing arm and spindle? Does it become disturbed when removing the spindle? I have to take the 4 bolts put to remove my spindle as the drum bearing is siezed on the spindle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts