Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I ordered a sedan SEL with 302A package about 6 weeks ago. Still no Vin yet. During this waiting time, I am kinda second guessing myself for not opting for MFT. I know I could still change the order before Vin is assigned but is it worth another $1000 and probably back in the line again (which I dont mind). I'd love to hear some inputs and thoughts from you guys. thank you very much

·
Banned
363 Posts
rustysocket, may i ask why it is?
Click on my username, search my posts and read my saga....

I am sure that 99.9% of the Focus made are going to be great cars. The development of the MFT system was premature and not ready for market. It does not work as advertised for many, and in my case my car has been plauged with multiple MFT related issues that the dealership has been unable to resolve.

In my case I just got a Lemon. I'm sure yours will be fine. however if you are truly interested in the MFT I would cancel the order and wait until next year to see if the so called "re-write" of the software actually pans out.

There are several threads here on the issue, that you can read.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wow, this is really disheartening. I know rustysocket has had a bad runaround with the car problems and dealership but isn't the amount of persons not having MFT problems much greater than those who are? He even admits this himself with his 99.9% should be OK figure. Plus the new update just came out for MFT and seems to have helped most peoples issues with it.

Could it be that some dealerships simply aren't doing their job right and using the resources that the FMC provides them?

I will admit that after reading some posts on these forums that it is easy to get scared away from MFT however if you read other manufactures car forums about the issues people have with their new cars, there is always some owners that have a scary problem with it. That kind of puts things in perspective for me at least.

I hope Ford addresses rustysockets dealership because it sounds like they need a [smackbum] for sure. The bottom line for me though is that I can back out of my deal today and my focus with MFT will get sold before it hits the dealers lot. I've waited too long for this baby and I'm not backing out now.[popcorn]

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yeah, that is tough one and ultimately the decision is up to you. Before I ordered my car, I did a ton of research (including this forum) on not only the car but Sync/MFT. I knew of all of the problems/complaints and still went with it for a couple of reasons. I do not have my car yet so I can't speak for true experience but some of the reasons for my decision were based on a variety of factors, a couple being:

-- being that it is computer-based problems can be fixed via firmware/software updates.

-- I plan on having the car longer than I would a typical smartphone or computer. I did not want to make a rash decision now based on negative feedback to find out in year people are loving this system and it is too late for me to go back. Computer or phone problems it is easy enough for me to say "I'll just get another one." This is a much bigger investment than either of those and again, didn't want to deprive myself of the system's potential just based on what I hear today.

As Ford is putting so much behind the system as a differentiating factor in their cars, I can't see them backing off and just leaving people hanging. It is a big marketing push for them so in my opinion they will continue to update to improve stability and the like.

Look through some other threads. People that have had the most recent update seem to be reporting better performance already. Of course, it is a very recent update so more time is probably needed to really get a feel for it's effectiveness.

A lot of times on forums such as this one, people get on to vent their frustrations/air their complaints. May not be a true cross-section of the entire Sync/MFT-owning population. I'm not saying these frustrations/complaints aren't valid just that there might be a lot of people out there that have everything working fine and you don't know about it because you haven't heard from them. As completely_focused said above, sometimes the problems are incompetent dealership service centers and not necessarily the system itself.

Someone like Rusty obviously has a legitimate complaint (actually, way beyond legitimate at this point, he should be out for blood). He deserves satisfaction from his dealership, or Ford, or both.

I've always bought lot cars and this is the first one I actually ordered. I decided before ordering that since I am ordering and playing the waiting game, I am going to get exactly what I want exactly how I want it. I took emotion out of the equation based on what I read here and elsewhere and gambled that the system would evolve and improve. Again, I plan on having the car for for a while so I didn't want to make a rash decision based on current info and then a year from now it may have been the wrong decision.

In the end it is up to you and all of this is just my opinion/logic. If it helps, great, glad to be of help. If not, ignore it. Either way, I would be interested to hear what decision you do eventually make so do post when you decide.

·
Registered
724 Posts
We got an SEL with the standard SYNC system. It works just fine.

Sync sync'd with both my wife's and my iPhone and down loaded the address book from both with no issues. We can make and receive phone calls hands free with no issues. We can play music via Bluetooth or the USB from our iPhones and USB or line in on the Philips MP3 player my wife has for the gym. Even though there are no maps the turn by turn directions works fine but is a little slow to recognize the need to recalculate the route and down load an update. It seems our iPhones are not compatible with Sync in regards to reading text messages but the system wants to do it. I have heard iPhone OS5 will correct that. The system health feature works fine. I have no need for all the news, sports, weather features of Sync so I have not tried them.

I just do not see the need for MFT other than navigation with maps but that is another $800 on top of the MFT making it not a cost effective option.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just do not see the need for MFT other than navigation with maps but that is another $800 on top of the MFT making it not a cost effective option.
I agree with this. A large screen is great for information--nav, back-up camera (also extra), showing you information about the car, who's calling, etc.), but the way it is used to control everything (redundantly) does not add value.

MFT is required to get the upgraded audio system, but while it's quite nice, it's tough to say that it's worth the price, either.

I also would second the option of not buying yet and wait for either the next major revision of MFT this fall/winter or wait for next year's model. That is what I expect to do.

·
Banned
571 Posts
MFT is bugged right now but still worth it in my opinion. The bugs will be fixed and the system is very nice when it's working. I would get it again.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Your car will automatically come with the 2.11 Firmware upgrade(since all cars built after July 25th come with this update) for MFT so 90% of problems that people are experiencing now, are solved.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If it were me I'd cancel my order completely and consider myself lucky.
RustySocket, I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Focus and hope they get resolved in your favor. If you don't mind me asking, is it just the MFT you have issues with or did you also have mechanical problems?

Thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No problem with MFT here. I would get it again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyone's inputs so far. Another thing I look at is MFT long term reliability. I'm concerned that when warranty expires and MFT for some reason decides not to work anymore, then that will cost a lot of money to repair. or would dealer charge you for a software update when your warranty expires? Its things like these that kinda prevent me from getting MFT. What do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for everyone's inputs so far. Another thing I look at is MFT long term reliability. I'm concerned that when warranty expires and MFT for some reason decides not to work anymore, then that will cost a lot of money to repair. or would dealer charge you for a software update when your warranty expires? Its things like these that kinda prevent me from getting MFT. What do you guys think about this?
This is just another upgrade in new cars. I was around back in the day when people would say things like this.

I don't need electric windows, I can wind a handle.

I don't need those electric door locks, what happens if your in a wreak?

I,I,I. The list goes on and on. It's just another upgrade and will soon be standard on all cars in the near future.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
This is just another upgrade in new cars. I was around back in the day when people would say things like this.

I,I,I. The list goes on and on. It's just another upgrade and will soon be standard on all cars in the near future.
Hah, excellent point (and you are showing your age). Don't worry, I'm right there with you in the age thing! I said exactly that and I resisted all of that stuff (with the exception of audio, always did my own stuff there but even the stocks they put in cars these days are light years ahead of what the high-end manufacturers were doing back in the day) throughout my car buying life and did eventually end up having no choice and had to get "power everything". Another example would be the automatic. I wanted the Ti so I was forced into it. Never had an automatic before. This will be interesting.

Don't know your financial situation and if that even ends up as part of the equation but the fact that you started this thread leads me to believe you want it and might be looking for someone to talk you into it. Of course I don't know you so I could be way off base here.

I do commend you on your "I can re-order and don't mind entering the process from start again" attitude. Quite mature. I'm old (well, not THAT old I keep telling myself) and am aching to get my car.

Hope it all works out for you!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I will not be checking the MFT box when I decide to order.

The system itself is intriguing to some and I understand it's intended audience; however, I personally don't need any of the little extras that come with the system.

I live in a small city where GPS is not needed, and rear back up sensors will do me just fine as opposed to the rear view camera. I will still be able to call/text people from my car and talk to my iPOD via Sync. That's about all the little technological extras I'm interested in.

I'm also a bit nervous with MFT because I feel as time goes on, the system will start to slow to a point where it becomes almost useless and frustrating (I'm thinking 5-6 years down the road). It probably won't happen, but I don't want to risk it.

My point is really if MFT has aspects that intrigue you enough, you should opt for it and get what you truly want. I'm getting what I truly want by opting out of it.

·
Registered
100 Posts

That's comforting, especially knowing that window motors and power door lock actuators never fail. Wait...

Upgrade or not, it's also another potentially costly point of failure after your warranty has gone.

*Edit* For what it's worth, I want it and would get it anyways.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This has been a good discussion, but the decision is ultimately yours, tvp90.

You mentioned "long term reliability", so let me bring up this point. If you keep your cars 3-4 years, then you can save some money by not purchasing MFT now, avoid the bugs, and can put the money towards the next car.

If however, you plan to keep your car 7-8 years, then consider buying the Ford ESP warranty (another cost) and have peace of mind that you're covered for the MFT and most other major components.

I usually keep my cars in the 7-8 year range, so I wanted MFT. I've had some problems with freezing and bluetooth connects, although since 2.11 was installed, it has been much better. The Sony sub delivers very good sound for a stock upgrade. Plus, I love seeing album art on the screen.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts