Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Leave it Stock, and have more GLOW in the Wells

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right.. TIme for yet another question to all of you in my never ending quest to build up the Focus.

A little background before I pose my question.

1) I drive a 2001 Street Edition Sedan.
2) I have the Xenon Front Lip, Sideskirts, and rear on it.
3) I live in Wisconsin (snow... snow....)
4) I have Street Glow's LED WHeel well kit installed (flexible tubing moutned inside the
wheelwell)
5) THe car is my daily driver. I am not serious about autocross.
6) I want it lowered, looking good, and driving good.
7) I have 16" rims (factory) with 'normal' sized tires (bought from Goodyear)

Now.. What do you think will best suit my needs? The SVT suspension, or the Eibach Pro Kit? THe only thing I am worried about is my front lip scraping, the tires rubbing in the wells (with the LED kit in there), and the possibility of turning into a snowplow with my front lip.

Oh, and I am not worried about price.

My ride:

Please.. No hating on the pics. My sideskirts are getting painted, and the others are just for peolpe to get an idea of how my car sits with the front lip

So...... thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Even with my biased eibach opinion, I would go with the SVT kit. Not
as severe a drop as the sportline springs with the pro dampers.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having never driven an SVT.. I do want to ask this....

How is the cornering at higher speeds compared to the stock suspension? My buddy took my on a freeway onramp with his Eibach kit... and just gunned it... the suspension held up incredibly.. and I was very impressed.. (this was one of those 270 degree-turn onramps)

ANd, since I have never experienced the cornering capabilities of the SVT, I have nothing to compare it to......

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
go w/ the eibach pro-kit....cuz i don't think u'd be entirely satisfied w/ the SVT

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Matt, when you come up by me next, I will take you for a good ride in my SVTF. For yours, the SVT kit would probably be best, and IMHO handles awesome.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^

Yeah.. you have a PM about that, Scott... So check it! hehe.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
i had a zx3 with sportlines, and now have an svt, so driving both I can tell you they both handel excellent. In my opnion, i think the svt handels slightly better than the zx3 with sportlines. But, i do love the look with the sportlines. im actually thinking of getting a set for the svt.

·
Registered
649 Posts
seems like a lot of people are suggesting Sportlines...? Those provide a greater drop than the Pro components so I'd stay away from those. The Pro KIT includes dampers. In very general terms: springs = right height; dampers = ride quality; also sway bars (Pro Kit Plus) = decreased body roll in tight/high speed corners. If you're not all that interested in exceptional handling and want to keep a comfy daily driver ride, just get Pro Springs and keep stock dampers. From what I've heard, SVT springs will drop .75" and Eibachs will drop 1.25-1.5"

Since money is no object, wanna sponsor my own suspension upgrade? [:D]

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^^^^^

Hahaha. No. Nice try....

Goat.. now.. you would suggest sportlines EVEN THOUGH you know that on Sportlines I'll have like, an inch or less of clearance with my front lip? And I'll be able to pay them off by plowing my neighbor's driveways in the winter?

You're mean.

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
^^^^ come and do mine while your at it matt, im gonna do the stv kit once the funds become available, ive driven and SVTF and loved it! so im gonna do that when the time comes

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love my SVT suspension on my SE sedan... Handles great and the price is right.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I noticed you are up in WI....snow is something to think about beyond just scraping. How much snow does the car see? Will it need the added clearance to get through some of the thicker stuff? That was my big concern.

Currently I am running the svt springs with Eiback sways and I love the combo. Very practical for daily driver...still some clearance for the heavier snow days, no scrape and I autocross it.

just some more food for thought.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^^

You make a very good point. Since the car IS my Daily Driver.. its sees a large amount of snow......

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Hmm! This one is a toughy. I JUST put the SVT suspension on my ZX3. My car came with the stock crossbar so I was able to upgrade it to the bigger one. I can take hard turns hauling ass with this suspension! And I just put new tires on my 17" rims so it fits perfectly. The wheels and tires are going to make just as big of a difference as the suspension does in handling.

But I'm gonna go with the SVT kit instead of the eibach because you live in snow snow snow and the SVT doesn't lower the car as much as it does increase the performance of the car. Hope that helps!

It's also WAY cheap for what you get.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its looking like I may be getting the SVT suspension.

1) Great price
2) Rave reviews
3) You get a LOT for what you pay
4) Not too low of a drop, won't make me into a snowplow.

Thanks Everyone!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts