Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I have a 2005 zx4 ST with 148,XXX miles on it and it has never had any maintenance besides regular oil changes and new brakes about 70k miles ago.

I've heard people say that waiting this long to change tranny fluid will end up ruining it, but id like to "clean" out the engine a little.

What are your guys' opinions on this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's how this normally goes: transmission is on its last legs..."I'll change the fluid to try and save it"...transmission dies..."oh, the new fluid killed it!".

No, the fluid didn't kill it, it was dying anyway. Personally, I would drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. Fluid shears out of grade, becomes oxidized and the additive pack becomes depleted. In short, it's not working as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you've got an ST you've got a manual transmission, right? I changed the fluid in mine around the same mileage you will, and it's just peachy 40,000 miles later.

Toby

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you've got an ST you've got a manual transmission, right? I changed the fluid in mine around the same mileage you will, and it's just peachy 40,000 miles later.

Toby
Oops---yeah, if it's a manual transmission there's really no reason not to change it! Just make sure to undo the fill plug first to make sure you can fill it back up. At 90K mine wasn't easy to undo.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks for the responses, I'm definitely going to change it, have to change the oil anyways too.

Any other things you guys suggest I do while I'm at it? Trying to make this car last

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
How about the fuel filter? That could use a change.

Spring for the Ford transmission fluid for the MTX, you only need two quarts of the good factory synthetic stuff to do it right.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i would say do it. it's super easy and cheap so why not? I had a '07 previously with the manual and i changed mine every 30,000 miles. it cost $20 bucks for fluid and takes 15 minutes to do.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Ford fluid is expensive but it's the safe way to go. The spec used to be 2.1 quarts, but forget that, 2 is fine. Definitely change the fuel filter. Anything to make the fuel pump work less and last longer.

Toby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts