Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friends is selling two mtx 10s in a box for $70, theyre used but he turned them up and they sounded nice.. I think theyre the thunder6000As.. I dont know alot about stereo equipment but learning.. theyll be sitting until I get a new hu and an amp though.. should I go for it?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hey, if you like it then GET IT [:D] I haven't listened to an mtx sub though, just pioneer and sony.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
looking at the specs on mtx's site those subs look ok but not great. i haven't heard alot about mtx subs but judging by the specs it doesn't seem like they could get very loud or anything if that['s what your going for. they can't handle too much power either, 350 rms tops is what they say. but if you like them get them. but be aware that you'll need an amp for it, wiring kit, possibly a line level converter if you have the stock hu or maybe just a new hu. your talking at least anotehr $200 or alot more. car audio can be expensive and adiciting, just know what your getting into.

- Scott

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The MTX 8000 series is a lot better sub and can handle pretty good power. If you just want some nice bass, get an MTX Thunder 8000 12, DVC. Wire it at 2 ohms and get a Thunder 421D Mono block amp rated a 420watts RMS @ 2 ohms. You can get these on e-bay for around 300 plus shipping. Then you will need a box and what scott previously mentioned for wiring and adapting.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
if you were going to get new stuff i'd check out elemetal design ( edesignaudio.com ) k and kx series subwoofers, excelent sound quality for cheap, gets plenty loud depending on waht box it is in too. boxes are pretty easy and cheap to build also and make much better enclosures than pre-fab'd ones. i'd suggest a svc, and getting http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/USAUSX2150 and run it at a 4 ohm load (which you can do with a svc subwoofer) and it would yield over 450 true clean watts. svc and dvc are the same quality and price only one has one voice coil and one has two, with a dvc it allows for more wiring options. sorry if you weren't even interested in getting recommendations for other stuff, i ust thought i'd mention it since jisturm did. and by the way, jisturm, just so you know, the 421d does 300x1 @ 2 ohm, you have to check the owners manual to see the true specs, t=hey are decieving and rate at dynamic power all the time and don't list rms.

- Scott

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Oh, I installed one in a friends truck thats birth cert said 420. Maybe it was a diff model though. They all look alike with the MTXs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts