Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was surfing Craigslist and i saw an 03 SVT
newly inspected, fresh oil change, almost new tires, says everything's running good (of course) seller says less than 10k a year were put on it..looks to be clean and taken care of in the pics has 151k on the clock...wants $2300. Im not usually scared of higher miles with a manual...wont be my DD as i have an 05 Saab 9-3 aero for that, just want a fun 3rd car.

gotta say though it does look like its been taken care of possibly an older owner. That engine bay is neat like a british mothers kitchen.
ive done a bunch of research and seems like these things are durable and go 200k+....i figure if i get two years out of it without major headaches its worth it...what do you think?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haha you’re in PA, I’ve been looking at this for a while. I have definitely been interested just haven’t been able to spend money recently. It’s definitely worth a look at it

·
Grey Friar
923 Posts
Try to find out how many owners its had. If the last guy had it for most of its life, then jump on it. Asking $2300, probably take 2... a steal if it rides well. If that person owned it for long the appearance of the engine bay says he was proud of it (made a few upgrades) and liked driving it.

You need to drive it, of course, if the clutch is okay and the engine sounds good, the only thing you will have to concern yourself with is the suspension bushings... if they were never changed or upgraded to poly, they will be toast, and the bolts will be fused in place and need to be cut out. But that's not as big a deal as it sounds. I put selected aftermarket control arms and/or poly inserts on two Mk1 Foci, one was SVT (I left the flex blade with new rubber, not poly), and I highly recommend making that change on an SVT, anyway. For $2000, or $2300, plus the cost of the suspension upgrade, its worth it for the satisfaction when you drive it. You will need to keep excellent tires on it justify that upgrade though, but if you do... then, once you get used to the car, every maneuver is totally predictable, even the radical crash-avoidance ones.

The only thing I don't like is the air intake choice. Try to find a stock housing, the one in place will hurt performance due to engine compartment heat effecting the air charge. Hotter air is less dense... less dense air = less HP (ask anyone who lives in the western mountains). The MAF sensor "sees" less air, and the ECU commands less fuel... so, less power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha you’re in PA, I’ve been looking at this for a while. I have definitely been interested just haven’t been able to spend money recently. It’s definitely worth a look at it
Yeah its in Shillington....i definitely have the cash .....about to give up on it though.... The sellers a *******.....doesn't respond, so seems like he doesn't want to sell the car.
I tried 3 times ill try one more time by monday after that im on to a few others.
Look at this

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah its in Shillington....i definitely have the cash .....about to give up on it though.... The sellers a ***.....doesn't respond, so seems like he doesn't want to sell the car.
I tried 3 times ill try one more time by monday after that im on to a few others.
Look at this

View attachment 306954
You could always call with a different number. I know some people have difficulty texting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a few other cars im looking at, 2 VWs a 2011 Sportwagen S for $5500 and a 2009 Jetta GLI even though im super hesitant to buy an VAG product i may just try it because they are sexy....im gonna call him one more time on monday, but yeah that may be a good idea to try another number.....i tried to call but no answer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try to find out how many owners its had. If the last guy had it for most of its life, then jump on it. Asking $2300, probably take 2... a steal if it rides well. If that person owned it for long the appearance of the engine bay says he was proud of it (made a few upgrades) and liked driving it.

You need to drive it, of course, if the clutch is okay and the engine sounds good, the only thing you will have to concern yourself with is the suspension bushings... if they were never changed or upgraded to poly, they will be toast, and the bolts will be fused in place and need to be cut out. But that's not as big a deal as it sounds. I put selected aftermarket control arms and/or poly inserts on two Mk1 Foci, one was SVT (I left the flex blade with new rubber, not poly), and I highly recommend making that change on an SVT, anyway. For $2000, or $2300, plus the cost of the suspension upgrade, its worth it for the satisfaction when you drive it. You will need to keep excellent tires on it justify that upgrade though, but if you do... then, once you get used to the car, every maneuver is totally predictable, even the radical crash-avoidance ones.

The only thing I don't like is the air intake choice. Try to find a stock housing, the one in place will hurt performance due to engine compartment heat effecting the air charge. Hotter air is less dense... less dense air = less HP (ask anyone who lives in the western mountains). The MAF sensor "sees" less air, and the ECU commands less fuel... so, less power.
Yeah i definitely dont like that short ram intake, he got the one from autozone lol

He says hes the only owner on the listing, says he put 10k a year on it.,

i have a gut feeling its an older guy by the hot air intake he has on it

and yeah i figure the bushings will be whacked after all this time, just got mine done on my Saab as well as two new front springs and sway bar links...!

if the guy will answer his phone!!!!

Strong feelings this is a great deal man...will keep you guys posted

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do these things handle as good as i keep hearing? I read a motor trend article where they pitted the SVT, Civic SI, and the Sentra Spec-V against each other and they said the SVT has an M3 like chassis, are they quick?

Ive never seen one in the wild....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do these things handle as good as i keep hearing? I read a motor trend article where they pitted the SVT, Civic SI, and the Sentra Spec-V against each other and they said the SVT has an M3 like chassis, are they quick?

Ive never seen one in the wild....
I can’t say anything about the svt but I have a base 2007 ZX3 and I love how it handles. So I would expect it to handle better. And they’re not the quickest in the world but if you know how to drive, it’ll be a fun car for sure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like those little ZX2s another one on my list!
Why didnt they make an SVT ZX2 that wouldve been dope...

Btw where you at in Pennsylvania

·
Grey Friar
923 Posts
Like said, not so quick, but they're not dogs either. Ford used the Focus steering rack on the Mk3 GT40 supercar... two-finger point-n-click steering on highway, and nice ratio for turns. The suspension design is very tune-able... when everything is stock, you crank the wheel, either with brake-on or gas-on, the car obeys... when upgraded, people with a bit more HP worry about being able to compete against you at the track. Also, Mk1 Focus RS WRC did great for years with Colin McRae (and others) at the wheel, on the podium more times than not... totally different body/engine/trans, but the same suspension geometry in rear, and close to same upfront, except for knuckles.

Shut the traction control off (only fair in winter), and they sing through corners (with great tires). I took my SVT to the local track shortly after I got it, to shake it out. The guy I bought it from had kept it stock, and the tires were the stock Contis... squealed, screamed, and understeered all over the place. Next time there... a few upgrades later... ECU tune, foam filter, tune-up stuff done, ORP, exhaust, poly bushings everywhere, shift-link bushing replaced, 'sport' brake pads, Nokian Z-line tires, and (the most important thing) wheel alignment with min rear toe-in, and max front toe-out (at the edges, but still in spec)... so much quicker to fling through curves and corners, and only a little darty over bumps.... zero front toe is better for street/highway. Next few times had more upgrades... adjustable dampers, and testing a variety of springs... IIRC, ate the place up with the H&Rs (stock sways the whole time).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely screams track car to me...

The guy isnt answering the damn phone or anything about to give up on him but then found this one..which i like too, maybe even a little more...same price. About the same miles too

i don't know why i didnt notice these before....im starting to really like these little fuckers now.
What do you think about the 06 ZX4?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all,
I was surfing Craigslist and i saw an 03 SVT
newly inspected, fresh oil change, almost new tires, says everything's running good (of course) seller says less than 10k a year were put on it..looks to be clean and taken care of in the pics has 151k on the clock...wants $2300. Im not usually scared of higher miles with a manual...wont be my DD as i have an 05 Saab 9-3 aero for that, just want a fun 3rd car.

gotta say though it does look like its been taken care of possibly an older owner. That engine bay is neat like a british mothers kitchen.
ive done a bunch of research and seems like these things are durable and go 200k+....i figure if i get two years out of it without major headaches its worth it...what do you think?

View attachment 306938 View attachment 306939 View attachment 306940 View attachment 306941 View attachment 306942
I have an 03 svt. It has 200k on it and is still going strong. I just rebuilt an engine for it with some upgrades and I am going to swap it soon because it is burning a small amount of oil so the piston rings are wore out, but that seems to be the only thing wrong with it

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my experience if they dont answer...most likely already sold. Just too lazy to remove ad..svt.good mileage looks like that..wouldnt last too long. At least not down here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No he didnt sell it, whoever it was is really wierd, you text him monday at 10 am and get a random response on Wendsday at 8pm with one message....he doesnt talk back and fourth, so i gave up you dont want to sell your car playing around like that, mind you this was a month ago almost and he just sent me a Text last week saying he replaced the starter i said ok well let me know if you want to show it, no answer back..

Pennsylvania is full of wierd ignorant people so i dont bother too much with anyone here and i expect stuff like this

1 - 20 of 23 Posts