Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have the FRPP suspension kit on the car. It handles very well but there is still a good amount of body roll under hard turning.

I was woondering if the Eibach Anti-Roll sway bar kit is going to make a noticable difference and eliminate some of the body roll? I do not want my rear end snapping out on me though.

I have heard of bigger sway bars breaking the LCA in half. I really do not want that happening, but I only saw that it happened mainly with the Steeda bar.

So if anyone has this kit please let me know how you feel about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have heard of bigger sway bars breaking the LCA in half. I really do not want that happening, but I only saw that it happened mainly with the Steeda bar.
Almost every failure that I have seen involved the 25mm Eibach bar. I have not seen a Steeda 'failure' yet...but it would not suprise me that there are some. The Steeda bar is about 57% stiffer than the Eibach...which is amost 66% stiffer then the Progress 22mm bar...which is 46% stiffer than the OE bar.

With soft-ish springs like you have..something like the Progress 22 or the Suspension Techniques 7/8" (22.25mm) is appropriate. Big bars and soft springs ARE the recipe for LCA failure.

Front bars are a PITA to change...a larger RSB will help you alot. See how you like that...if you want more, then get an OE 22mm 'Street Edition Wagon" FSB at the parts counter...same size as the Eibach front and a ton less money.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
You definitely want to have stiffer springs w/ the Eibach bar or anything of significant size like that. I am running the Eibach kit w/ Apex springs .. 150 front / 200 rear and luckily, after just over a year of considerable abuse, I have not had any issues w/the lca's. I may have squeeked in, I dunno. The real problem exists in flexing the suspension on things like angled entries into steep driveways. There are times that I swear one wheel is off the ground.

The progress might be the right option, but if you decide to go with the Eibach's I can tell you that you won't "snap out" the rear if you install the front bar as well. It's a very balanced set up. Spend a few bucks and get someone to weld in some reinforcements onto the rear LCA's and you will be fine. 1/8" plate will do wonders. Personally, I love the Eibach set up. I feel like I am driving a go-kart and I have ZERO regrets in installing it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would I notice a difference with the Progress bar since it is only 1mm larger then the SVT bar?

Also is there any info on reinforcing th LCA's? I am wondering where to put the reinforcements at on the LCA, cause I wiould like to add the Eibach kit but I do not want to pay for broken control arms.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Also is there any info on reinforcing th LCA's? I am wondering where to put the reinforcements at on the LCA, cause I wiould like to add the Eibach kit but I do not want to pay for broken control arms.
I welded my LCA's with 3/8 plate on top, I plan on running the steeda 28.6 as soon as i get the rear frame renforced too.

here is 1/8 plate i have not welded yet (dont have the right mig wire or any gas right now)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey BlackCat...I am a little lost here. You welded 3/8 in on the LCA, sooo what is the 1/8 inch plate for and is it on different arm or different location on the same arm. ANY info would be great! Thanks. KC

·
Registered
60 Posts
What causes the LCA's to break there? The sway bar stiffness breaks, cracks or bends the LCA on bumps, pothole's or hard cornering? I have the Eibach/Saleen Kit with the heavy swaybars, but i assume matching springs. Will I have problems?

·
Registered
60 Posts
What made you go to 1/8 in plates this time? I haven't put my kit on yet. I am waiting for Spring and new tires for my SVT wheels to do it all at once. I have a small Mig welder and scrap 1/4 metal I could cut and use to do this. Looks pretty easy. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I currently have the eibach 25mm rear sway with the stock 18mm front sway and eibach pro kit springs and dampers. I've had that setup for 6 months or so with no problems, but I'll be installing the front sway once I pull my old engine, and then I'll be getting a new spring and damper setup in the near future. I'm thinking about the koni sport kit. It's quite a bit firmer than the pro kit setup.

I thought the svt rear LCA's were updated and already reinforced?
Wouldn't that be enough to be fine with a larger sway bar setup?

·
Registered
975 Posts
i just have a 22mm in the back with KW springs. im plan on getting the whole eibach set up as soon i get a few more dollars and finish my FR head.

that 22mm was night and day. i can hit corners so much faster now.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Q:I thought the svt rear LCA's were updated and already reinforced?
A:Some were an some were not I have a friend in tampa that had just regular LCA's on his 02 SVT, now the question is which year did they bring out the renforced ones? I have no clue.
Q:Wouldn't that be enough to be fine with a larger sway bar setup?
A:To be honest idk Miek at hilbish is running the 28.6 with the SVT renforced lca's. I did mine with 3/8 plate mainly because @ the time i was working at a bulldozer dealship an I was tought to make everything over kill so thats what i did.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
What made you go to 1/8 in plates this time? I haven't put my kit on yet. I am waiting for Spring and new tires for my SVT wheels to do it all at once. I have a small Mig welder and scrap 1/4 metal I could cut and use to do this. Looks pretty easy. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Yes it is pretty easy as long as you know how to weld really good.........(not saying you cant weld but there are some people out there that they think they can.) The 1/8 plate you see there in the picture is 1 1/2 by 2 1/2, an you can buy it @ lowes, it was 4ft long.......well i think, but i cut them out to that size the drew an X from corner to corner, drilled a small guide hole where the the 2 lines meet then used a larger drill bit to make the bigger hole. When thats done i used a bolt to hold the plate to the LCA (now make sure that is square befor welding it.) When welding it make sure you weld it all the way around and do not weld the hole, let it Air cool (DO NOT POUR WATER OR ANY OTHER LUQUID ON IT! just let it air cool) befor put a fresh coat of paint on the whole LCA. Any more questions feel free to ask or send me a PM

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I have both I love the setup but it did snap over on me once (it was my fault not the cars though). I say get the front and not the rear.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
the update happened in 03 i think. when i did my kit with the eibach bars i went and got teh updated lca's since i couldnt get the old ones off the car.
i'd be willing to try that 28.6 bar.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I'm getting a set of the stock reinforced LCA's locally.
I bet the only ones that have broken are the ones not reinforced.

·
Registered
584 Posts
that 22mm was night and day.
What did you have before? 20mm? none at all? He's got 21 right now so 22 is only 20% stiffer. It would be noticeable but I don't think that's the goal here. Nobody has yet mentioned the H&R 24mm bar. It wouldn't be dangerous with FRPP springs, and has about the same balance as doing the Eibach front and rear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts