Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 02 ZX3 MTX with 101k on it. It's got svt suspension magnaflow cat back and CAI.

Will I notice a decent difference in power from a stock 02 SVT with 130k? I'm used to driving a SHO and when I get on the highway with my focus it feels like I'm standing still.

What would be a good price for an 02 SVT with 130K in need of new rear tires, headunit occasionally eats cd's and CEL on due to O2 Sensors.

I'm just curious if buying it is worth my time or if I won't even notice a difference. What is the WHP of a stock SVT vs a stock ZETEC in a ZX3 also what is the difference in quarter mile times stock? 0-60 times?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved you to the SVT Owners Lounge.

Ultimately, the decision is yours.
There's a lot more to the SVTF than just increased power.
Brakes, supsension, interior, exterior, etc...

Stock WHP can be as low as 140hp, to a high of 150hp.
^^^Variances in cam timing and compression ratio affect the outcome.
(I have no idea what numbers are for a standard Zetec)

Stock SVTF 1/4 times are mid to high 15's.
(Again, I have no idea what the numbers are for a standard model)
As far as 1/4 times though, remember that is NOT the SVTF's forte at all.

If you're after 1/4 times, I'd take PumkinSvt's suggestion.
But, if you're after a well balanced package that has respectable 1/4 times, and phenomenal braking and cornering, then the SVTF is your answer.

As far as a price,
I'd search around this forum area, as there's plenty of "how much is this SVTF worth" types of threads.

Here's some info threads:
SVT Owner Reviews: SVT Dyno Thread
POLL : 1/4 mile times - SVTF
How much did you pay for your SVTF ?
^^^Might want to look at the later postings in this thread.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I don't know that it would be worth the hassle and money to switch to the SVT. There's about a 25-30whp difference between a ZX3 and an SVT stock for stock. You could pretty easily make up that difference with mods or a Jackson Racing supercharger would bump you up to around 170whp and wouldn't cost that much. The SVT brakes are much better but can bought separate and also the SVT 6spd is something you really wouldn't get but some prefer the 5spd. It's really up to you. I'd recommend test driving an SVT and seeing for yourself the difference.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If you really want an SVT, hold out for the Euro, otherwise I'd say offer the guy about 4500, cuz Darko just sold his 2003 Euro with about 90k miles for 5500 or so. I sold my 2002 with no issues, close to excellent condition and 70k miles for 6500, and that was with HIDs, a Borla, Predator tune, etc etc

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you really want an SVT, hold out for the Euro, otherwise I'd say offer the guy about 4500, cuz Darko just sold his 2003 Euro with about 90k miles for 5500 or so. I sold my 2002 with no issues, close to excellent condition and 70k miles for 6500, and that was with HIDs, a Borla, Predator tune, etc etc
What if he took $3,500 for the car? or maybe even closer to 3,000? It's got high miles (130k) and CEL on and he's blaming 02 sensors who knows could be cat or something else cause he changed 02's with bosch and didn't fix it..

·
Registered
784 Posts
go to KBB and see what its worth, then go to the guy take it for a test drive, negotiate the CEL, miles and condition of it, and take it from there.

by the way BOSCH sux!!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
As Rhody said, i just sold my 03 EAP for $5500, not because i was desperate and needed to get rid of it because i felt that was a fair price for my car. And my car was 100% stock and very clean inside and mechanically perfect, except for an 02 sensor which was nothing. For an svt with 130k i honestly say no more than $4000, especially since it doesn't have EAP. But goodluck and i hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have owned an 89 SHO since new, bought two of them then, still have one. They are probably the fastest of the SHO's, and it is a bit faster (not much) than my stock 02 SVT. The SVT has the same ability to gain speed very quickly once rolling, (even in sixth gear) that makes the SHO such fun. The SVT has better handling, much better brakes, and is better made overall with more equipment. You can't even compare the shift linkage which is the one weak point of the SHO's, even with the later model linkage. The SHO is easier to launch, and is faster than almost any regular car through second gear, and downright crazy at extreme speeds due to the high RPM horsepower. That said, the SVT gives almost as good of an experience with power and is much superior overall. The power complaints on this board are all from people that wanted a stoplight machine, and bought a road machine by mistake. If you love an SHO, you will love an SVT Focus as much or more. It's a bit subtle, you might not notice it on a test drive, but you will find yourself driving faster overall, not slower.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I currently have an 02 ZX3 MTX with 101k on it. It's got svt suspension magnaflow cat back and CAI.

Will I notice a decent difference in power from a stock 02 SVT with 130k? I'm used to driving a SHO and when I get on the highway with my focus it feels like I'm standing still.

What would be a good price for an 02 SVT with 130K in need of new rear tires, headunit occasionally eats cd's and CEL on due to O2 Sensors.

I'm just curious if buying it is worth my time or if I won't even notice a difference. What is the WHP of a stock SVT vs a stock ZETEC in a ZX3 also what is the difference in quarter mile times stock? 0-60 times?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have owned an 89 SHO since new, bought two of them then, still have one. They are probably the fastest of the SHO's, and it is a bit faster (not much) than my stock 02 SVT. The SVT has the same ability to gain speed very quickly once rolling, (even in sixth gear) that makes the SHO such fun. The SVT has better handling, much better brakes, and is better made overall with more equipment. You can't even compare the shift linkage which is the one weak point of the SHO's, even with the later model linkage. The SHO is easier to launch, and is faster than almost any regular car through second gear, and downright crazy at extreme speeds due to the high RPM horsepower. That said, the SVT gives almost as good of an experience with power and is much superior overall. The power complaints on this board are all from people that wanted a stoplight machine, and bought a road machine by mistake. If you love an SHO, you will love an SVT Focus as much or more. It's a bit subtle, you might not notice it on a test drive, but you will find yourself driving faster overall, not slower.
I was hoping to hear from someone with SHO's like me :) What do the svt's get for gas mileage on the average tank for someone that usually isn't driving on highways but is not living in a huge city.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can give you my experience with gas mileage. On the Interstate, I've seen my MPG as high as 32 doing about 75 in the summer. In the winter it goes down to about 28 highway.

In the city... it really depends on how you drive. People who are TRYING to get good mpg can squeeze 25 out of it, but you will probably see low 20's.

I've gotten 300 miles before the gas light comes on, but its usually around 220-250 mixed city/highway.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
whp in a svt stock ur looking from 140 to 150 and zx3 i have seen from 104 to 120ish. 1/4 miles times dont really matter between the cars it could be a big difference or it could be small depends on the driver, these cars aren't meant for straight lines. You will notice a difference due to things the svt came with like vct and dsi (use search buttons to get more info) a good price depending on condition of the car 5k.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Merged duplicate threads...
[scratch] (I'm not sure why you started a 2nd thread...this one was getting plenty of replies)
Sorry about that second duplicate thank you for removing it what happened was the last thing I did on my desktop was post that and when I went back on it and refreshed FF it automatically re submitted that new thread. Really sorry about that trouble..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts