Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So ive got a good new job and its finally time for a new car. I want a car that has great gas mileage that also comes decked out as possible, nav, backup camera, leather, etc.

The cars I'm currently looking at are the:
focus titanium
Dart gt
cruze rs
civic

What separates the focus from the rest?
When will the 2015 be released?
Whats the actual mpg it gets combined?
How is it in the snow with factory tires?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII section.

Purchasing center is better for transaction details than info. on the car.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Well I love my Ti. Civics are probably more reliable being a Honda. Haven't looked at the Chevy, they are ugly and its an awful company morally(ignition fiasco). Almost got a Dart but went with the Focus. Love the hatch and I think it's a better looking car.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Besides having features not available on your other car choices, if you love to drive, the Focus is the drivers car.

The 2015 Focus is schedule to start production December 08, so I would expect the new Focus to get to dealerships sometime in January/February 2015.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2013 Titanium Hatchback and well, I may not exactly regret my purchase, but I'm definitely not satisfied.

Biggest letdown is the performance and failed promises for the MyFord Touch system. It's slow and clunky, to the point of being a distraction when trying to do something as simple as make a phone call or switch radio stations. Ford never delivered on any of the so called Applink promises. I can't connect more than 1 phone at a time. It takes forever to get an address into the navigation, either manually (must be stopped) or through sync services. It can't keep track of the time (have to manually set clock every daylight savings or whenever Myford Touch decides it wants to be an hour off).

I don't have as much of an issue as others with this, but read the threads on the Automatic Transmission Stuttering and Clutch issues (essentially, it's a manual transmission with an automated clutch/gear shifter).

Mileage isn't what I was expecting. I average just under 25 mpg commuting to/from work. I'm lucky to average 30+ on a long highway trip.

Basics things like the trip computer were a little strange, like it resets itself around every 2,000 miles.

You cannot add extra keys yourself. If you buy the extra keys from the dealer, expect to pay almost $200 a key.

Cupholders don't like anything that isn't smooth plastic (they grab and hold onto Styrofoam cups).

Don't let everything about this car be a negative though. There is a sticky thread in this forum with posts highlighting things that people love about their Focus.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Biggest letdown is the performance and failed promises for the MyFord Touch system. It's slow and clunky, to the point of being a distraction when trying to do something as simple as make a phone call or switch radio stations.
That's odd... That hasn't been my experience at all.

For example, if I want to call someone, I wait for the chime and say "Call John Smith". It works *very* reliably.

If I want to change the radio station, I can say "AM ten seventy" and voila...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Biggest letdown is the performance and failed promises for the MyFord Touch system. It's slow and clunky, to the point of being a distraction when trying to do something as simple as make a phone call or switch radio stations. Ford never delivered on any of the so called Applink promises. I can't connect more than 1 phone at a time. It takes forever to get an address into the navigation, either manually (must be stopped) or through sync services. It can't keep track of the time (have to manually set clock every daylight savings or whenever Myford Touch decides it wants to be an hour off).
Sounds like you're running an older version of MFT, there was one that had time shifting issues.

Why would you want to have more than one phone connected at a time? I'm not aware of any in-car BT system that allows this. How would the system know which phone you wanted to make an outgoing call with? I suppose the primary would be the default. Why can't the passenger just use their phone without handsfree? The feature is there to keep the driver's hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

I may be biased, as I work at a Ford dealer, but I just bought my second Focus Titanium after the last one was wrote off. If transmission and MFT issues were as prevalent as some suggest I would have bought something else.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am on 3.6.2. While I don't believe the consensus that there won't be anymore updates, that is the latest version for my Focus.

As for the Bluetooth, here is a page from Bose about setting up Bluetooth with an active connection to two phones.
http://worldwide.bose.com/productsu...e.html?productlabel=bluetooth_headset_series1

I used to use a Jabra Bluetooth Speakerphone that broadcast on an FM frequency. It was nice. Yes, all calls went out on the primary phone, but it would allow all incoming calls to be answered.

For one brief period, I had multiple active Bluetooth connections working on my 2012 Ford Explorer and it worked beautifully. Then the next update took that away.

Two common scenarios that benefit from multiple active Bluetooth connections:
Husband and Wife driving in the car at the same time. Husband and Wife have separate phones. Having an incoming call come in on either phone during a long road trip is not uncommon. Currently, the driver has to tell people to hang up and call back on the other phone or call them back from the phone that is connected to the Bluetooth.

Another scenario becoming more common in the middle class is having both a personal and a company issued phone. Same problem, only one paired at a time.

As for the slow clunky interface, for some, a ½ second is not much, especially if they are just changing the radio station to another preset. But if you are trying to connect to a Bluetooth Audio stream for an audio book or music, don't count on getting that going in less than 3 clicks and 5 to 10 seconds delay. That's if I don't have to stop, turn the car off, open/close the door, and restart the car in order to get the Bluetooth working again.

It is a common occurrence when trying to send an address to the vehicle via Sync Services that the car (or Sync Services?) can't understand the simple "Yes". Not to mention sync can only be associated with a single cell phone number. My wife cannot use sync services to send an address to the car because it's setup with my phone number. I find it hard to believe that Ford doesn't think Husband/Wife should share the same vehicle. Even better, I have two ford vehicles (12 Explorer Limited and 13 Focus Titanium), but can still only have one cell phone use Sync Services.

In Ford's defense, I do want to add something that a lot of people don't understand. They complain that cell phones see major improvements on an annual basis, but the MFT is built on outdated technology. Think about this. NASA continues to use 30 year old technology in their space probes. When something doesn't work, they can't just send it in for a warranty exchange. Well Ford isn't quite 30 year old technology, but rather it is more like 10 year old technology. Same analogy, they can't just ask customers to mail in their MFT for a warranty replacement. They stick with slightly older technology with the hopeful trade off in reliability. This puts Ford in the sticky predicament that they have to figure out how to make 10 year old MFT technology work with 6 month old cell phone technology. It's not an easy feat to pull off. Ford may have failed somewhat on the port of Microsoft Auto 4.0 to the MyFord Touch Hardware, but the cards were stacked against them. I don't fault them for not having crystal balls, but that doesn't change the fact that currently MyFord Touch is not a good value.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone else chime in on what you are getting gas wise?

Id really like to hear if anyone is getting 30 mpg combined...because that's what i'm needing from my next car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can anyone else chime in on what you are getting gas wise?

Id really like to hear if anyone is getting 30 mpg combined...because that's what i'm needing from my next car.
I am averaging about 34-36 with a decent amount of traffic to and from work. My old commute was mostly highway and and got 37+

I have no complaints on the car whatsoever.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I drive pretty conservative and get a real world of 36 to 40 each tank full. I track my mileage with www.fuellycom My best is 42mpg. I've found the sweet spot on the focus. It loves the cruise control set at 60mph. Slow, yes, but it's a great speed for my commuting on a lonely State road each day. I really like this car. They handle great and are fun to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a lot more comforting. Now the real question is, can I get a dealer to put the black aluminum SE rims on a black titanium instead of those ugly titanium rims.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wheel swaps mess with warranty. If there is ever a problem with the coating or something ford won't cover them because they didn't come with your car. The same will go for whoever buys the SE with your titanium wheels on it, no wheel warranty for them either. That's why we won't do it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was going to "louis riel sports dome" I spent 5 minutes while driving trying to get the damn my sync nav system to find this today..... My 10 year old laughed when i finally stuck my LG G3 on the dash over the screen and said "OK GOOGLE" "Navigate to louis riel sports dome"
-I suppose for people with no smart phones its an amazing nav system. but i hate the 4-6 questions it asks to only sometimes get what i want..

I would have got the 5 speed manual had i know the DCT would be such a PITA.. we are just living with the issues now. looking at each other every time it sutters or makes the funny noise.... Rolling eyes..... We are holding out as long as possible before going in for the 6th visit. hoping we finally get a new clutch with the latest revision. going into snow season we will wait till spring when the summers go back on and then make it an issue again...

Thats said of the OP list, id go honda if i didnt have this. but other then the items above i do like the car, i love the way it looks and was a major factor in my purchase. it just looks great...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Of the cars listed I'd wait on all of them save the Honda as they all have newer revisions coming up. Also there is the Mazda3 and the gti which are the current favs. in this segment for the auto critics.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Go test drive all the cars on your list. Comparing them on paper only can't account for the thousands of other data points: how much you like it, are the seats comfortable, how does it feel driving, etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I feel the same TKG. The gadgets in this car are not anything to marvel at. If I had to do it over again, I'd get a base ST with no frills. No deplorable DCT to screw with, more power, less things to break and have to deal with the dealer about, more options for aftermarket. I truly regret my purchase. The rest of the car is seemingly well built and even though I don't have the performance handling package, it still corners well and I have fun throwing it around....when the trans lets me. The resale value is the only thing keeping me in it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was going to "louis riel sports dome" I spent 5 minutes while driving trying to get the damn my sync nav system to find this today..... My 10 year old laughed when i finally stuck my LG G3 on the dash over the screen and said "OK GOOGLE" "Navigate to louis riel sports dome"
-I suppose for people with no smart phones its an amazing nav system. but i hate the 4-6 questions it asks to only sometimes get what i want..

I would have got the 5 speed manual had i know the DCT would be such a PITA.. we are just living with the issues now. looking at each other every time it sutters or makes the funny noise.... Rolling eyes..... We are holding out as long as possible before going in for the 6th visit. hoping we finally get a new clutch with the latest revision. going into snow season we will wait till spring when the summers go back on and then make it an issue again...

Thats said of the OP list, id go honda if i didnt have this. but other then the items above i do like the car, i love the way it looks and was a major factor in my purchase. it just looks great...
Use Google Maps and the Send to Car app to get destinations into your MFT Navigation. You will have to press the Sync Button and say services. After it connects, it will ask you if you want to download your webpoint. It then transfers the destination AOL style, but it's less headache than trying to enter the destination manually either by address or by finding the point of interest.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts