Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys was doing an oil change today and found this.
Would my powertrain warranty cover this? Should I get it into the dealer?
Not too sure where exactly it's coming from.
Also I've never taken my car to the dealer for anything.
Drive also done all the oil changes myself. Is that going to be a problem and is the dealer going to Hassel me?
2012 focus SE 5-speed with 50k miles

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is that the trans? If so you're in luck, you get new clutch packs and seals. I wish mine was leaking so I could get my dealer to actually fix mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They would replace the clutch for an oil leak?
It's leaking between the engine and trans but it's a 5 speed

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its definitely oil

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can figure out which one it is pretty quickly (transmission oil or motor). Almost always, trans oil is red while motor oil is a shade of brown or yellow. Put a few drips on white paper and see which color.

If it's motor oil, it's not guaranteed to be covered by the powertrain so you'll want to see if you can identify the source (unless you know the source to be the seal).

On the other hand, transmission oil would more than likely be covered by your warranty.

From the pictures, it seems like it's coming from somewhere else and that spot where you see the drips is where it ends up. I'd try and track it up the engine to find the source; if you're feeling ambitious you can wash the engine well, take it for a drive, then get back in there and see where any new oil appears.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm certain it's oil
With that being said why wouldn't it be covered under powertrain warranty?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
They would replace the clutch for an oil leak?
It's leaking between the engine and trans but it's a 5 speed
^ He thought you had the DCT transmission.

Could be the rear main seal but like chemistkremer said, oil leaking from up top may be dripping down the motor.

Your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty is still in effect for another 10k miles so my advice would be to get it to the dealer soon.

The fact that you did your own oil changes should not be a problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
^ He thought you had the DCT transmission.

Could be the rear main seal but like chemistkremer said, oil leaking from up top may be dripping down the motor.

Your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty is still in effect for another 10k miles so my advice would be to get it to the dealer soon.

The fact that you did your own oil changes should not be a problem.
Right, did not catch the 5 spd part

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the sides and it looked like it wasn't coming from up top it looked like just that one general area where it was coming from.
I think I'll give my dealer a call tomorrow and have it checked out
Is there anything I should be worried about as far as mods Go that they would try to pin the problem on?
On mods as far as engine are snorkel delete and K&N drop in

·
Registered
45 Posts
I changed my oil today and noticed the same exact thing. I have a 2013 5sp. 26k right where the tranny and motor meet. I whipped it clean to see if it returns next weekend and try to hunt it down.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have also noticed this. The previous oil change there was a good amount. This last oil change there was little to none as I recall.

I do believe its the rear main seal. I am not to worried about it as my 95 Mystique, Zetec 5-spd did the same thing. I drove 200k plus miles and it never lost an appreciable amount of oil. Had the original clutch also at 228k miles.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have also noticed this. The previous oil change there was a good amount. This last oil change there was little to none as I recall.

I do believe its the rear main seal. I am not to worried about it as my 95 Mystique, Zetec 5-spd did the same thing. I drove 200k plus miles and it never lost an appreciable amount of oil. Had the original clutch also at 228k miles.
I've seen the same residue in the same spot. Wiped it off my 2nd to last oil change and the most recent one it was neglible. I'm up for another just before Winter hits and will make a judgement call on whether to hit the dealer or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's usually the rear main seal. They're on back-order right now, but many local dealers still have them. I bought the last one we had out of my parts department. I'm installing a SPEC clutch and flywheel and replacing the rear main since I noticed residue the last time I did an oil change. I'm just under 59k miles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a tiny seepage there that was hardly ever noticeable. Now that I'm at 65,000 its bad enough that I'm pretty sure I feel chatter on my clutch in first gear sometimes now. No drips that hit the ground yet, and no noticeable loss between oil changes. I have a 5 speed - manual.

Did any of you guys notice chatter on your clutch when your rear main seal was leaking?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I had a tiny seepage there that was hardly ever noticeable. Now that I'm at 65,000 its bad enough that I'm pretty sure I feel chatter on my clutch in first gear sometimes now. No drips that hit the ground yet, and no noticeable loss between oil changes. I have a 5 speed - manual.

Did any of you guys notice chatter on your clutch when your rear main seal was leaking?
Are you sure it's coming from the engine seals and not the MTX-75?

EDIT:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rear main seal, bad design, its the round seal but it has a plate on it that seals to the oil pan with a 3mm bead of silicon. Covered under powertrain

1 - 18 of 18 Posts