Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been finding some really great deals on shorty headers (like 50 bucks brand name!) and I'm really tempted. But I have also heard that the heat from shorty headers can crack the paint on your hood (due to their proximity to the hood) . Any first hand experience out there? Don't flame me about the headers please. I've had the car over five years-time to face the facts, I need a cheaper solution for performance. Real help appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
hmm im not sure on this one but if that is the case
you can always work a patch of some heat resistant padding on the underhood where the header will be

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
No they wont, your stock headers are shorty type headers. Just put a heat shield over them, or go with some header wrap and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never seen header wrap on shorties. Also, I don't think anyone puts the shield back on for aesthetics (shorty headers look cool). Does ceramic coating help?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard about the material that you attach to the hood, too. Maybe. Anyone have shorty headers anymore? I was hoping somebody with them might know.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah the ceramic coating helps with heat a lot. I have seen ceramic coated headers w/o wrap or a heat shield and there was nothing wrong going on with the hood.

I am no expert but I would put something on just to be careful, a new paint job for the hood could cost around $300 or more.

Oh and shorty headers are what everyone is using when it comes to running a turbo, so yes a lot of people run them, the only time you can use a long tube header is for strictly racing, or if you have no emmissions testing in your area(long tubes remove the cat).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right. thanks. I just have been finding them much cheaper lately. We have emmissions testing here obviously.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I want, but it seems to be more expensive by about 400-500 dollars. Let me know if you find different

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
To answer your first question; no

#2; $400-$500 for an SVT header? Should be far cheaper than that, unless you are talking buying one new.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, no. Total. The svt conversion as a total is about 400-500 more. More expensive header, more expensive flex, more expensive for SVT borla vs. regular, additional for SVT PS line, etc.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want it, but I just don't think I can spend that much more for exhaust right now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't know if this is possible for you, given i have decent resources, but you could buy a off road long tube header and weld in a cat somewhere in the cat back exhaust. That way your not having to buy a svt specific exhaust and you get a cat still. You can get a high flow cat form catco for $75.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I don't know if this is possible for you, given i have decent resources, but you could buy a off road long tube header and weld in a cat somewhere in the cat back exhaust. That way your not having to buy a svt specific exhaust and you get a cat still. You can get a high flow cat form catco for $75.
Yeah I was thinking about that, the only thing is where can he weld the cat in at, from what I have seen the offroad pipe doesnt get far enough away from the engine.

Haha I like your thinking though, I am a welder and I was thinking about doing the same thing with my car, before I decided I couldnt afford to do it right with college tuition so I left the car stock.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
And if they do not put a pipe on your exhaust all it has to do is pass ODBII. So as long as your ECU is telling them what they want to hear you are fine.

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
my exhaust was about 1200 for parts. i installed it myself. frpp svt header kit, mcnews orp, trubendz flex(fitment sux and its 2.5od, all the rest is 2.5 id) and svt 2.5 mbrp

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
i actually did wrap up my shorty header, it looks really awakward but i think itll do the trick. I also topped it off with the spray. I was in the same boat u are, so i bought a mac header and a magnaflow hfc. both are direct bolt on. Havent gotten it installed yet tho...

You are right tho, theres alot of good deals on here for shorty headers and even long tube.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How did you wrap them? pics? I think the tubes are so close that it wouldn't be possible. If you wrapped all the way around both on each side, wouldn't get in between and whatnot? IDK. Header wrap newbie I am. And yes, we have the OBDII port AND the sniffer test! Thanks for the input to all!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts