Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i put my shorty header on like a week ago. and i didn't really take it on a test drive because the auto hobby shop is like a block from my dorm. anyways, my car sat there for like for the entire week without me driving it (thanks to the damn base security police). so i go out there last night and drove it a couple of blocks. it sounded horrible. like one of those old 1984 pickup trucks. and my idle is shitty. and to add insult to injury, when i returned to the dorms, i pulled in the parking spot and my idle dropped down so low, my car just died. it started up just fine but the idle is still wavering ugly. i'm thinking i didn't tighten up all of the bolts well enough somewhere because it sounded like there was exhaust gases escaing from under the hood. would a leak cause a drop in backpressure to where my car would stall out? i need help because i'm taking leave for mardi gras and i can't have my car being stupid on me. someone help!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hey hey another military person. I'm at Dover right now...actually deployed right now, but i'll be back there shortly. I'm getting an intake and exhaust put on when i get back. I'd like to hear an answer so if i have the same problem i can fix it.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, my car has been out of commision for 5 days now thanks to the sp's. because i have a crack in my windshield, my vehicle is defective. where are you deployed to? my bucket is up right now. may get sent to germany.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Qatar, I should be back in March sometime. I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket :) What do you have for the rest of the exhaust?

·
Registered
56 Posts
sounds like you've got a leak

somewhere. I wuold completely take off the shorty and reattch it yourself. Just make sure all the seals are tight. After that it should even out that idle. Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm and idoit.

I was thinking you said shorty intake. If it's a header problem, then you have either no gaskets between the connections, or your computer hasn't adjusted to the new air flow. Once again, let us know

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should there be a gasket between the cat and the flexpipe, cause i don't think there is one there.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhh.....

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, while i was installing it, the battery was unhooked. does that count?

·
Registered
793 Posts
hey focal...f*** the military??,,, feeling a little resentment??

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
that counts. after you drive the car at normal temps you need to tighten down all the bolts, the header gets real hot under normal driving condition and the metal will expand/contract as it heats/cools so drive her for a minute come back and tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
00focus, hey personally, i didn't let focaltech's remark bother me and i'm IN the military. so don't let it get to you cause all its gonna do is turn my thread into a debate post when all i want is some advice on my header. 'preciate ya.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
EuroZX3 said:
that counts. after you drive the car at normal temps you need to tighten down all the bolts, the header gets real hot under normal driving condition and the metal will expand/contract as it heats/cools so drive her for a minute come back and tighten the bolts.

theres ur help buddy! [thumb] lemme know if it works

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I never let people like focaltech get to me either. Being in the military has let me rise above arguing with people about that stuff. Bottom line we are fighting to let them say what they want to say. All we want to do is talk about cars and sometimes chat to each other because we have something in common. We don't down grade people because they Aren't in the military :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts