Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search.....

So how much reception is lost when you switch to a shorty antenna? Are certain antennas notably better than other ones? Looking to make that first mod...thanks in advance. [:)]

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
cut down your stocker is what everyone sugested to me... the ones you can buy the paint changes colors and looks crappy after a while... cut your stocker down, i only lost 1 station and thats cuz its really far away... i dont know how the stations are in FL but you should be able to keep everything you have... i just unscrewed the whole thing and turned the car on to see how much i lost, and it wasnt much so i cut about 3/4 off... looks killer! good luck, and if you choose to cut yourse down there are how tos someplace...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
There is a how-to on cutting the stocker in the how-to section. It's really easy...basically take off the antenna, stick the end in hot, boiling water to make the little rubber thingy on the end fall off. Then cut off as much as you want (I took off 11-12 inches..), and then get the rubber thing nice and hot again to slide it back on the end of the newly cut antenna.

My radio reception is just a little worse. Everything still comes in, but one or two of the weaker stations are a little distorted now. It's not enough to bug me though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I put a aftermarket shorty on my wagon and lost a few stations. When I find it again I will put it on my sedan but keep my long stocker for road trips. Even with XM.

Tim

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
shftat6 said:
Tried to search.....

So how much reception is lost when you switch to a shorty antenna? Are certain antennas notably better than other ones? Looking to make that first mod...thanks in advance. [:)]
I keep my super-ultra-mega-shorty antenna on unless I'm listening to Lex & Terry in the morning. UUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! w00t! [woot]

·
Registered
532 Posts
I did the shorty mod, took half of it off, and i havent lost a SINGLE radio station. They all still come in crystal clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts