Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i realy realy realy want an intake for my car. I live mid state new york and get alotta snow in the winter and a lot of rain in the spring/summer. Now i know i could take it off for the winter but still .....

I know a CAI is better perfomance wise but then i have to worry about the rain and puddles and shyt getting water up in there.

So my question is if i got a short ram intake , or the one with the heat sheild from Focus Sport, what would the be the difference in performance. And does would that lack of performance on the short ram make up for the hastle and worries i would have driving in the rain with a complete CAI

And please forgive me if this a realy dumb question lol thanks guys

·
Registered
274 Posts
I live in North East PA and I have the same weather as you do. I have been looking into the Pipercross Viper. It's a CAI. The price tag on it is higher than most, but it is supposed to be the best CAI. You also don't have to worry about your filter being a couple inches from the ground. The induction tube on it is movable, so If in the winter when the roads are really sloppy you can make it a short ram style and in the summer you can place the tube right behind your front grill without the worry of hydro locking. Do a search on here, there are a couple of people that have them. I have been looking into this just recently also. If you look a couple post down there is a thread about Pipercross Vs. AEM CAI. I hope I was helpful.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This has been posted to death...... look it up!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
there are so many posts on this subject and also if your worried about rain make a splash shiled like that other guy(if you read sorry i forgot your name and i cant find your post).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Before my Typhoon, i had the AEM CAI with one of those water repellent covers, can't remember what it was called, but it worked okay. I'm thinking of going back to it and adding one of those pexiglass splash shields.

·
Registered
274 Posts
youngkal said:
just get a bypass valve
There is a problem with losing your warranty on the AEM CAI, and plus if I can recall I think there is a problem with install fit on an SVT after the bypass valve is installed.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
does the bypass valve go in between the 2 halves of the aem cai? i was wanting to get one for mine so i can be somewhat safe.

·
Registered
607 Posts
OrangeSVTguy said:
does the bypass valve go in between the 2 halves of the aem cai? i was wanting to get one for mine so i can be somewhat safe.
You have to cut into your intake hence the void...

at anyrate those by-pas valves are not life savers... Heavy rain isn't going to harm a CAI nor is snow.. what will harm a CAI is you allow it to indigest large volumes of water i.e. puddles etc. What will and can happen is you just end up screwing over your MAF..

I've been fine with mine and we get heavy and I mean heavy rains out here and its fine... I just watch out for large masses of water on the roads is all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts