Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a better shifter for my car, perferabbly by B&M. Here's my two questions: First, what shifter do you guys recommend? Secondly, how does going into reverse work now, the aftermarket shifters don't have the lip on the shifter that you pull up to go into reverse correct? So is it just like going into a regular gear?

I have a 2000 focus ZX3 with the Zetec engine and MTX-75 tranny if that helps.

Thanks guys

P.S. I did a search but none of the threads answered my ques. about reverse, also there might be some new shifters on the market so I thought I should make a new post.

·
Registered
618 Posts
B & M is really good. The throws are crisp. B & M makes a shifter with the reverse lock out that is standard on the one you have now. The aftermarket shifters without the reverse lock out are not that big a deal. YOu just push the clutch and push the stick into the reverse position.

Unless you forget that you have a 5 speed and "think" you have a 6 speed, you should have no problems with a short shifter that does not have the reverse lock out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Just found one with the lockout, on the aftermarket ones how does the revers lockout work, the same way as stock?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Steeda Short Shifter and it has the reverse lock-out. I love it, the throws are short and they have a little plate that comes with it to make your shifts from 2nd to 3rd quicker/smoother. If you like to powershift I'd recomend this shifter.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have the B&m and i really enjoy it.

sorry the car is so dirty..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which Shifter feels the most solid? My brother just got a B&M in his Camaro and I must say, I am extremely impressed, feels like a brick wall, no play at all. No play is what I want, I like the idea of having the spring so you can go into 2nd-3rd better but I have read lots of things about the Steeda and people seem to not think it is that big of a difference from stock. They also don;t think it feels more solid than the stock one.

Opinions?

·
Registered
557 Posts
the B&M is very solid. I was impressed. there is almost no play at all on the shifter, a huge difference from stock and noticably shorter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the Steeda and its real solid and tight. I would prolly brake the shift linkage befor the shifter. The smooth shifts have to do with your tranny. I think my syncro rings are wareing out so the first to second shift is a little hard some times. I got a free shift knob with mine too. In my choice of color. The Steeda one came with good distructions with pictures. Everything fit right up. The only thing that can be tricky is getting out the center console, and even that is not too bad.

Even still its 100% better then stock. A good investmet whatever one you go with.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a b&m and its ridulously good! It used the stock lockout, but can take it out super easy to just remove. If you play with your shifter it won't let you go from 5th to reverse. You can go from rev to 5th, if you having decided...go with the b&m. Team dirt approved!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts