Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody find / have any information or background on short throw shifters for the 2012 SE?

I haven't even gotten to test drive one yet (waiting for my dealer to get one in and call me) but I'm figuring it's a pretty standard stick motion and I've been driving a Lancer Ralliart with short throw in it for 6 years so I might like a more sporty action.

Secondly, how does everyone like the stock shift knob? I have a spherical Mitsu one right now, not sure how I'll feel about the "heel" style one that comes on the Focus.

Are there any good Ford branded 5 speed knobs out there?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Every review I've seen on the 2012 5-spd has been positive about the shifter feel. Might not be the shortest throw but it's a solid shifter.

Don't expect a short throw immediately, it's still a brand new generation of the car.

·
Something goes here
8,290 Posts
Both steeda and cfm are looking to release their own soon. I happen to be going to steedas shop this Wednesday to test one out :)

And was working with Hector over at Cfm who is looking design their own aswell.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep us posted dude! thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I got my car 250 mi ago.
I had an SVT Contour prior.
I have to say the 2012 Focus is very good.
The shifter gate is really nice, and the shifts are fine.
My only grip is the middle console box padded top is too high, and forces me to rest my upper arm on the box to shift, or hold it even higher. Which I am not used to.
My only other complaint is the engine exhaust is so quiet, I cannot use it to hear the right minimum to have a smooth takeoff.
I definity plan on buying the Ford racing stainless exhaust, so i can hear the engine better.
((It is expensive, but my SVT Contour stock exhaust (stainless steel) lasted 12 years, and is still perfect after 110,000 miles in snow belt salt covered Winter snowy roads. I did paint it with hi temp paint though, i do not know if that helped.))

IF I had only known i could buy it with the car and have in installed by the dealer! before i went there.
They could have added it into the sale.
However i will just have the dealer install it so it is covered under the warranty.
I know how you feel about the knob. It is OK, but i agree finding the right shift knob helps.
I have had zero problems with gate action. That is finding the exact gear I want no problem. So skipping a gear, if I want, or not really having to think too hard where i am in the shift pattern is no problem.
Only bit i do not like is the reverse has NO lockout button. Though it's not much of a complaint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 534 miles on my SE Hatch and love the stock shifter. The throw is a lot shorter than you would expect for an entry level car, and the shifter feels really solid. I have no plans on replacing the stock shift knob.

I do agree about the engine being really quiet though. I find myself constantly checking the RPMs to see where I am at on takeoff.

·
Something goes here
8,290 Posts
Shouldn't be to much longer and we will have a shifter from steeda, they got all the info they needed from my car and should start machining them soon... I have to say it's going to be a nice shifter from what I saw while up there

·
Registered
444 Posts
i love the feel of the shifter, however a different shifter knob would be nice. a little shorter (not throws but physical size) would be nice

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like the knob myself with the soft leather/pleather padding and mini heel style. For me the ball style is a little awkward as it needs almost a full palm. I prefer to grab in a "monkey paw" manner than "joystick". The throw could be a tad shorter though, but not bad as is.

·
Something goes here
8,290 Posts
You will be able to retain your stock shift knob with the sts.

·
Something goes here
8,290 Posts
I have posted a thread keeping all the information right Here

Steeda is planing a mid may launch so hopefully a few more days [wiggle]

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I like the shifter on my SE Sport 5-speed, but I'm always curious as to what options are out there, especially if it can make the car 'fit' me better. Not a big fan of the stock knob though, I generally like rounder knobs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts