Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been on off for the past two days.

Here's what happens:
Ill start the car, go into 1st and everything is fine and dandy, I toss it into second and it's great, I go into 3rd and the shifter(the knob, the stick whatever you call it) feels loose but the car stays in gear just fine, same thing goes for gear 4; I then try to go into gear 5 but it hops back into gear 3, I'll try to go to gear 6 and it goes to 4.

In neutral it feels like there's this hopping feeling if you move it from side to side it has to hop over something to get to the other side. It feels very loose too.

This goes on and off during driving... not safe.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It sounds like your shifter cable came out of the holder on you transmission. The trans cables have a spring that is supposed to keep the threaded nut on it from loosening up. When that spring is either missing or not installed properly, the nut that holds the cable to the holder comes off and you only get 1-4th.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so IF that's it how would I fix it?

Should I take the car to the shop tomorrow or should I try to repair it myself?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If that's it, you can probably do it. You have to remove the air box and the move the fuse box out of the way. All you have to do is tighten the large plastic nut and wind the spring up to lock it into place. It took me about 20 min to do mine. The hardest thing is just getting the spring locked into place. Check down by your shifter too. Maybe one of those came off. Have you had any trans work done in the last month or so?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i haven't

I think the dealer said the clutch was replaced a few weeks before i bought the car which would make that about a month and a half ago.

I wish someone close by would come help me lol, I hope i don't screw anything up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That is about the same amount of time it took mine after the dealer installed a new trans and clutch in it. Basicly, just have someone move your shifter side to side and you will be able to see the loose cable. When did you install you short throw?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok, I would still check the cable down by your shifter along with the 1 on your trans. There are 2 cables on the car. 1 controls front to back movement of the shifter. The other controls side to side. The 1 that controls the side to side movement is the one that you are after. I would give you a hand, but I'm in WI. LOL. I wish I was in sunny CA.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, if you're not busy tomorrow. it would be helpful if I could send you pictures or call you or something while i work on it. If you have time of course.

If anybody else has any input, please let me know!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Go check out the "How To" links and look at the "adjust shifter" thread. I think you just need to adjust the shifter if the the things discussed above do not pan out. It is VERY important that the stick be in the correct neutral position when the adjustment is made. Also, if you can find out what brand of STS you have, you can contact that company for help. Good Luck!!
Dan

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
pumkin didn't u have a similar prob not to long ago

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Could be the infamous bolt or roll pin on the selector (inside the trans)

EDIT: gah sorry wrong forum nope this cannot be the problem

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
poop.

sorry. nope.

[poke]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts