Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
From the stock T handle, you will have three parts. The outer sleeve, which is part of the T handle, the metal shaft of the shifter itself and then a plastic rod that runs down the center of the metal shaft. The plastic rod is what gets pushed down in order to unlock and shift the shifter.
thanks, that helped alot. i took mine off, and have a new knob on it now. i went with a manual knob. it fits pretty good except i can pull it off. guess i should get a removable steering wheel to go with it haha. all i have to do now is relocate the O/D button and decide how short i want to cut it.

Yours looks good, also. I had to use a grommit or something similar to put on the shifter to fill the gap so that the orange marker still showed what gear it's in. I had some issues with my key coming out as well and that was the issue. Once I put the grommit in, no issues. I relocated my OD button on the left side of the center console between the shifter and ebrake. You can see it in the lower right corner of this pic:
was there a specific size grommit you bought, or did you just use one you had laying around?

·
Registered
76 Posts
lol thats prolly whats gonna happen with me, but well see how it goes.

and ok thanks anyways

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Do you guys use the O/D button alot?

Not sure how you guys do it but i turn my O/D off most of the time then when i speed up an onramp to get on the highway i flip it on and it then shifts into overdrive.

It seems a little more peppy with O/D off how about you guys?

·
Registered
76 Posts
finally got around to doing mine. i still havent found a perfect fit grommit, but i found one that was pretty darn close. these are the measurements that were on the shelf label:
inside diameter 1/2"
outside diameter 13/16"
groove diameter 5/8"
groove width 1/16"

hope that helps.

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
finally got around to doing mine. i still havent found a perfect fit grommit, but i found one that was pretty darn close. these are the measurements that were on the shelf label:
inside diameter 1/2"
outside diameter 13/16"
groove diameter 5/8"
groove width 1/16"

hope that helps.
Good info. My grommit is not a perfect fit either, but it works for what I want it to do.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is it possible to just shorten the stock shift knob and leave the OD and thumb button intact? I don't want an after market shift knob, just to shorten the stock a couple inches. I hate how high it sits.

Please forgive me if this was mentioned somewhere in this thread. I read the first 4 pages and got sick of reading ranting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Is it possible to just shorten the stock shift knob and leave the OD and thumb button intact? I don't want an after market shift knob, just to shorten the stock a couple inches. I hate how high it sits.

Please forgive me if this was mentioned somewhere in this thread. I read the first 4 pages and got sick of reading ranting.

Thanks!
I also want to do this, there is a tablet mount I want to get and install down towards the passenger cupholder, but the tall-ass shifter gets in the way.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts