Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
yay for people that buy autos and make tehm look like manuals, make a fake clutch pedal too. then you will be 100% badass[thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
176 Posts
crazy_urn said:
what bothers me is that this guy is claiming that he is getting performance gains from this. that simple would not be the case. you can customize your car however you want to. but performance is performance. and something things help performance, and some things do not help performance.
omg who CARES. [?|] jeez, is it really worth argueing about? it looks nice, personally not my style, but whatever floats his boat. oh btw what did you do about that O/D button?

·
Registered
329 Posts
THANK YOU! I have been wanting to do this but I was not sure if it was even possiable. For those of you who ever had an on the floor auto...you would realize that they make the post of the shifter like feet tall. It isn't about performance gains or anything it is about improving the looks. Nobody needs to have thier shifter up by the radio. Nice work man keep it up.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
all motor said:
yay for people that buy autos and make tehm look like manuals, make a fake clutch pedal too. then you will be 100% badass[thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]
hmm..... i see PRND21. looks like an auto to me. now, if he were to do the leather boot idea that someone mentioned.... FLAME ON!!!!!

looks like a nice mod. i'd like to do it just so i can get the damn shifter out of my thigh! i'd have to get a shift knob with an OD button on it, though. i use that too much to not have it.

Mike

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Mike, you'd have better luck relocating the O/D button somewhere else, I don't think there are any aftermarket shift knobs for an ATX that would let you keep the O/D button somewhere still on the handle. Nothing I have read about anyway.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just like 5th gear is to a manual. O/D is 5th gear on an auto Depending on the ATX sometimes O/D is 4th gear. Basicly O/D is the gas saver gear for highway travel.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Like PM5019 said, it's a different gear, it lowers the RPM so you get better fuel economy. The ATX trans in a focus is a 4 speed electronically controlled transaxle.

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
So (if I have this correct) O/D is, by default, off when you turn the vehicle on. Then when you are going on the highway (doing 60-70mph) Then O/D should be turned on for better fuel economy, right? :eek:

What does O/D do if it is turned on during speeds of 20-35mph city speeds?

·
Registered
329 Posts
By default the O/D is on when you start the car. Not much is gonna happen when you turn the O/D off at 20-25mph you might run at higher RPM, but not much to make a difference. Now if you turn it off going 50-60 your RPMs will go up to about 4-4500 RPMS

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
O/D is just a fancy name for 4th gear. people seem to think turning it off makes you faster or somehow play with the mapping of the powerband or... well, i've heard just about everything. if O/D is on (default when you turn on the car), the car will shift all the way to 4th. if off (not default, and a little light comes on to remind you it's off), the highest gear you'll get to is 3rd.

it's handy to run around town with O/D off IMO. 3rd gear tends to sit at about 2500-3000 RPM at city speeds (35-60MPH). keeping it in 3rd (O/D off), keeps the engine in the powerband for easy acceleration (ideal for passing). it also reduces the number of downshifts, which helps your tranny. with O/D on, you'd be lugging around in really low RPMs at city speeds, which means you have to mash it and downshift to get going. not good for the tranny.

anyway, to get back on topic (sort of)

S2... they DO make handles with a built-in O/D button, but they're not cheap. most i've seen run in the ballpark of $100.

Mike

·
Registered
329 Posts
they suck though....I hate all the aftermarket knobs. They look cheep and porly put toghether.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
hey so everyone knows like i said before im getting a new sterring wheel and im relocating the o/d too where the 1st n2o shoudl go and the second will controll my neons (when i get them) but thats that

and i have to say so much arguing over a damn shifter is stupid its still a focus who cares what the **** i did to it ... its stilla focus on ''Focus Fanatics'' right?

dont hate the focus hate the rice

21 - 40 of 172 Posts