Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The throw on the stock gearshift for my 2006 focus s (5 speed) is pretty long. I'd like to get a short throw, but I'd like to know who makes a good one, and how difficult the install is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed a steeda tri-ax STS on my 07 ST. Install is very easy... 20 minutes and hand tools. At first the shifter was T.I.T. tight (and yes, I was liberal with the lubricant) but after a week or so it loosened up a bit and now one flick of the wrist glides right into gear with a reassuring "click". Overall, I would recommend you go for it!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I installed a steeda tri-ax STS on my 07 ST. Install is very easy... 20 minutes and hand tools. At first the shifter was T.I.T. tight (and yes, I was liberal with the lubricant) but after a week or so it loosened up a bit and now one flick of the wrist glides right into gear with a reassuring "click". Overall, I would recommend you go for it!
This^^^^^^^^^^ I've had mine for a few yrs now= awesome. Their sri is awesome too,,,,,,,

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also have the Steeda short-throw in my ZX3 and I love it. Install was easy, straight forward, and the resulting shift action is much better. I've had mine in for about 9 months now and I still enjoy it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a bit of a late contribution, but I have to say that the Steeda shifter is a good product. I've had one for two years now. At times, the shift effort seems a little bit high; so, to make the shift action somewhat lighter, I installed a thick washer-like shim over the shaft inside the shift knob in order to raise the knob up a bit (making sure there was enough exposed thread for a solid fit).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
This is a bit of a late contribution, but I have to say that the Steeda shifter is a good product. I've had one for two years now. At times, the shift effort seems a little bit high; so, to make the shift action somewhat lighter, I installed a thick washer-like shim over the shaft inside the shift knob in order to raise the knob up a bit (making sure there was enough exposed thread for a solid fit).
Guess it depends on the knob your using^^^^^^ The oem ST knobs fit great & work great too,,,,,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, the height of the knob makes a difference too. I think the Steeda knob I have is kind of flat-topped and is shorter than the stock knob. I remember that the original knob did not fit over the new collar without modification, but it might work with a shim in place. I might just go back to the stock knob.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yes, the height of the knob makes a difference too. I think the Steeda knob I have is kind of flat-topped and is shorter than the stock knob. I remember that the original knob did not fit over the new collar without modification, but it might work with a shim in place. I might just go back to the stock knob.
I like the stock st knob over the steeda one.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
i just put the steeda short shifter in my 05 hatch. it took like 20mins and there is a huge difference. highly recommend it
Awesome^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: Briman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts