Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Well it was FOCUS CENTRAL but they are out of business. It was called the FC race shifter I believe, NO REVERSE LOCKOUT so if you want that, don't get this one.

Very high quality, you can check at www.newedgeperformance.com as they purchased the rest of the stock from FC before they closed their doors. Some other sponsors may have this shifter also so check around......

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Looks to me that they don't even make the race shifter for the Zetec anymore. I did see just the regular FC shifter on New Edge and it comes with a knob. Not sure how short it is though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A short throw shifter does not necessarily mean the top part of the shifter is physically shorter.Some are,some aren't. The section of the shaft below the shifter pivot is the most important part of the design.The longer that lower extension is made,(within reason)the shorter the throw between gears will be.I have a No-name $35 shifter off of Ebay and a $150 Steeda.(in two different Foci)They both work fine and have the same short throw between gears.The Steeda is manufactured with much more precision and of higher quality material.The No-name...well it's the same design,but cheaper materials and not as machined.Guess what?They both work well (much better than stock).How long will each last?Who knows...

·
Registered
557 Posts
is the B&M any good?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have had the B&m for five years of extreme casual driving.... [hihi] And have not had a single issue with it. It may not be the shortest but I believe it to be one of the best out there.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
i have the zxtuner shifter and compared to the fc race its a tad bit taller but for 40 bucks you cant go wrong and its a very quality piece, comes with a reverse lockout but you dont have to use it.

·
FF Affiliate
158 Posts
For the current intro price of $99 our STAINLESS adjustable shifter is a steal! I know for a fact that it has a shorter throw than any of the other shifters mentioned. Both the pivot ratio and the shifter length are shorter.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Shorter than this?

·
FF Affiliate
158 Posts
I was thinking of shifters currently available. No, it is not shorter than the FC Race. Our shifter is 2.9" lower than stock at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yo man i have the focus central race shifter and believe me its short, comparing it to the stock length and its a good buy, i happened to be lucky and grab the last one from Central Florida Motorsports. the Ford Racing shifter looks pretty short, how does that one compare?

·
Registered
958 Posts
i have an frpp which is the same as the steeda...rather the steeda is the same as the frpp...but thats just semantics...its shorter than stock but not as short as id like...the top is probably only 1.5-2" shorter than stock...id say the shifts are maybe 40% shorter than stock...the thing i like the most about the frpp is the fact that its a much firmer shift...it felt kinda loose before...but as i said i would like something a little bit faster

on a side note after having the sts i drove my friend's focus w/o the sts and it felt like a truck...the shifter felt so tall!

·
FF Affiliate
158 Posts
old_grendel said:
i have an frpp which is the same as the steeda...rather the steeda is the same as the frpp...but thats just semantics...its shorter than stock but not as short as id like...the top is probably only 1.5-2" shorter than stock...id say the shifts are maybe 40% shorter than stock...the thing i like the most about the frpp is the fact that its a much firmer shift...it felt kinda loose before...but as i said i would like something a little bit faster

on a side note after having the sts i drove my friend's focus w/o the sts and it felt like a truck...the shifter felt so tall!
You should try ours out. I'll offer you a money back guarantee! [:D]

·
Registered
958 Posts
last night after i posted i looked at it and i was seriously thinking about it...but i have an engagment ring to pay off and im going back to school in sept so i'll have to pass right now...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installed

I purchased an 'FC Race Shifter' from 'New Edge Performance' and installed it today. It took a few hours, as the instructions were crap, but got there in the end. My god it is short, I tried it with the stock knob and it was difficult to shift, so I put a ‘momo knob’ on it and it raised it up an inch or two, it's a nice height now. Certainly crisper shifts and a hell of a lot shorter throw. If anybody wants one, New Edge has some left and it's 90 bucks shipped. Thanks everybody for the help,
SMM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts